The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Javlok vs Ferrox

Im_a_Turtle

Which spear gun is better to use, Javlok or the Ferrox? I'm currently using both of them and am not too impressed by the Javlok so far. It's just an explosive 1 time percussion bomb that uses ammo at every throw while the ferrox is a fire and forget electric snare trap which compliments quite well with my pure melee builds. Is there any good perk of the Javlok i'm missing out on?

IMO Javlok is good for a nice 'hybrid' build. Mix of crit and status. Ferrox is Crit focused with the Scourge being Status focused. They all have their merits, with Ferrox being a crit sniper type that can hold enemies in place with it's alt, Scourge being an automatic status weapon that lets you land easy headshots on enemies with it's alt fire. IMO, the Javlok gives me that lovely feel of "JAFFA! KREE!"

Javloks claim to fame after its buff is it's effective AoE and powerful one-off take down move, Ferrox is better for consistent single target DPS, Scourge is acceptable for stripping armor and that's it, the scourge could use a buff, its aoe is small its damage is low, crit is low, status is fine.

Honestly the spear throwing mechanics aren't super strong at the moment. Not bad, by any means, just that the weapon itself is usually better in your hand. Fun secondary effects for the occasional niche though.

Ferrox has a more powerful Primary Fire. but Javlok has more a powerful Alt-Fire, inversely.
though Javloks' Primary Fire isn't bad. just not as strong as Ferrox (though does have a bit of an AoE).

i have to insist that the Ferrox throw does NOT synergize with Melee AT ALL. because you have to get close to hit Enemies with Melee, and it automatically picks up when you get close.
ergo it's basically useless for Melee because you can't keep it on the ground.

5 minutes ago, Cloudyvisage said:

the scourge could use a buff, its aoe is small its damage is low, crit is low, status is fine.

the strongpoints of Scourge is the double Damage instances from the Projectiles, with the AoE making it perform well in Damage vs groups of Enemies.
and that it's one of the few Weapons that can Equip Corrosive+Radiation+Viral, a rare Damage Type combination that is very powerful.

or Gas, that works very nicely too as a pure Elemental Weapon especially considering the AoE.

Edited by taiiat

3 hours ago, taiiat said:

Ferrox has a more powerful Primary Fire. but Javlok has more a powerful Alt-Fire, inversely.
though Javloks' Primary Fire isn't bad. just not as strong as Ferrox (though does have a bit of an AoE).

i have to insist that the Ferrox throw does NOT synergize with Melee AT ALL. because you have to get close to hit Enemies with Melee, and it automatically picks up when you get close.
ergo it's basically useless for Melee because you can't keep it on the ground.

the strongpoints of Scourge is the double Damage instances from the Projectiles, with the AoE making it perform well in Damage vs groups of Enemies.
and that it's one of the few Weapons that can Equip Corrosive+Radiation+Viral, a rare Damage Type combination that is very powerful.

or Gas, that works very nicely too as a pure Elemental Weapon especially considering the AoE.

I've found that the Ferrox compliments the Arca Titron extremely well. For those who don't know the Arca Titron is the hammer that has a slam capacitor that gains a slam bonus damage stack for every kill (up to 10) and having the Ferrox hold the enemies still in one spot while you combo up to your slam attacks with Shattering Storm (That is if you mod it up to be an extreme status proc AoE set up), it can easily carry you into lvl 60+ difficulties.

Scourge is the master spear gun. What it lacks in gun mode it makes up for in spear mode. 

The headshot bubbles it disperses every 7 or so seconds is undeniably the best of all the spear guns. Take a pyranna prime or some other power house secondary and cheese all the enemies.

Not to mention, the scourge is built perfectly for harrow and his abilities, mainly 3 and 4. You couldn't get better support with that.

Ferrox with high fire rate and modded for gas is really good against corpus. Just throw the spear in a group of enemies.

For mobile defense and hijack, you can use a radiation build so you won't be bothered from one entrance for a while, making the objective easier.

In any case, you need to have a good secondary. Pox or zakti can pair quite well with the ferrox's alt fire due to the AoE effect