Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's have a chat..... about Chat!

Short_Temper

This is a general warning for all players, as I've seen enough people try pulling fast ones on devs like DE for long enough that it concerns me. I intend to make clear that a chat block is not the same as being BANNED (shadow or otherwise). Without further ado, let's chat.

1. Know what your saying...

Chat blocking is a common practice, devs don't like it when players can't play nice. After all, just because the game is rated M for MATURE (some of us are not, lets be fair) does not mean you have a free license to be an outright A double S. There are rules for talking with players, you have to follow them, or suffer the consequences (ask me how i know, feel free). Everyone here does not have to bear witness to how dunce you can be, even if you think they are inviting it on themselves (they probably weren't). Save us all some headache, and read the rules before chatting.

This also begs for a clarity point... Chat blocking ISN'T Shadow Banning. (i'll clear that later) Stop confusing the two.

2. A BAN is bad...
Bans are just that, BANS. I.E, Your BANNED from playing. You wouldn't get past the login if you were, because a ban would kick you from game. DE uses IP bans, which are worse than just account bans. You couldn't log if you tried, unless you moved into a new place. Now, to clear the air.

Shadow banning is a neat little practice, because devs who have a problem (say, TOS breach or use of cheats in a "no cheat" game) but can't quite prove it can legally still ban you from playing, they just don't have to admit to you they did it. It's a nice little sub clause they use to stop people from ruining the game they worked on, possibly for years up to that point. Let's have an example:

Lets say Valve (makers of steam and Counter-Strike) has a player who likes being a naggy sob. Like, "Oh god you sucked that guy's deagle man. Why didnt you hop? blah blah blah...." so on and so fourth to the point people stop playing. This person technically haven't breached TOS, but its starting to affect the number of recurring players. Noticably enough to warrant concern.They can't BAN him outright, but they wanna teach him to be a better team player.

Enter the shadow ban. A "shadow" ban is where you can't enter the game, but they give you no reason why or how it keeps occuring. they won'tbe able to play nomatter how they try. For this player, he'll just keep getting a connection error, or whatever have Valve's fancy at the time they entered it in.

The same would apply here. DE wouldn't LEGALLY have to say your banned if they did a Shadow Ban. Granted, DE also has a strictly written TOS. SO there should not be a need for one.

3. Your are singled out, just not what you think its for...

In the event your chat blocked, you first need to back away from your game. Obviously if your mad, you either:

A. didn'tread the rules carefully enough, or...

B. decided for whatever reason your more important than everybody else, therefore are immune to punishment.

Either way, you need to first get away from the game. wash your face, get a drink, whatever have you. But STEP AWAY. Thats always first. You can then clear your head, and return to your controls with a little more patience.

The next step is to logout. Stop playing for about 30 minutes-1 hour. Do some stretches, read a book, watch TV (if thats your thing). just rest for the time. When you decide to come back, just rememberto examine the chat rules a little more closely this time. You might find out why without having to embarass yourself and the rest of us by posting crap threads here on the forums.

Well, there's a difference between being self-centered arrogant and making humorous jokes, which MOST people I've seen get banned for. 

Before this thread gets locked(I'm hedging my bets on it, since it seems like the case whenever there's criticism about censorship; irony eh), I Believe  DE has one of the STRICTEST chat bans in almost any game I've played. I get people say stupid things and that's part of the internet, but I believe DE doesn't factor into the "context" in which how some "offensive" words may be used, at least in cases of humor or some random slip-ups. For example, is saying "Nezha is a trap" really that offensive to the point that it deserves a temp mute from the entire global chat? If I were DE, I'd probably either censor the word, kick the player from that chat section temporarily(like how you cant say lf/hosting in trade section), or have a bot give a verbal warning via inbox message to let the player know they WILL be temp muted if happens again. I'm all in for giving players fair chances, not instantly banning them on the spot just because a kickbot has detected a word or a DE employee found a word offensive. I'm not really fond of DE employees pandering to this sjw-style censorship.

*PSST* To any mods/player mods reading, lemme be clear, this is only my two cents and it's just honest criticism. I have no animosity towards the game or developers.

Edited by guthorian

On 2018-08-18 at 9:07 PM, guthorian said:

I get people say stupid things and that's part of the internet, but I believe DE doesn't factor into the "context" in which how some "offensive" words may be used, at least in cases of humor or some random slip-ups.

Slurs are neither humorous nor random slip-ups.

For example, is saying "-snip-" really that offensive to the point that it deserves a temp mute from the entire global chat?

Yes.  It is a slur and has no place in the chat.

1 hour ago, (XB1)R3d P01nt said:

Quite frankly I struggle to understand how the whole Nezha business blew up into this big taboo subject. After all, if I'm reading the urban dictionary correctly, all you're doing essentially, is saying a guy looks like a girl, (or possibly) vice versa. Not sure how that equates to a slur. Some might even call it a complement, if they're pre-op transgenders.

I mean Aerosmith even did a song about it (Dude Looks Like A Lady) and no-one finds that offensive.

Not to mention this particular thing is Warframe specific and has become more of a meme than anything. If people are trying to tenuously extrapolate from this that "Nezha is a trap = players who use Nezha are gay" then that is one hell of a stretch IMO, to the point of ludicrousness.

I was playing Armored Warfare over the weekend and had the misfortune to run into an idiot spouting all kinds of racist crap about Romanians, basically calling them thieving gypsy scumbags (in a nutshell). Myself and a bunch of other players reported him and got him banned. Thats what I'd call actual abuse.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

1 hour ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Quite frankly I struggle to understand how the whole Nezha business blew up into this big taboo subject.

The same way any slur does.  Thankfully, DE are a company that takes matters like this seriously.

Some might even call it a complement, if they're pre-op transgenders.

First off, operations have nothing at all to do with this.  Secondly, calling someone inherently deceitful, leading to murder and people getting away with it by citing the "gay panic" or "trans panic" defense is not at all complementary.

I mean Aerosmith even did a song about it (Dude Looks Like A Lady) and no-one finds that offensive.

No one that you know, perhaps.  That doesn't equate to no one at all.

Not to mention this particular thing is Warframe specific and has become more of a meme than anything.

'It's just a joke/meme' is no excuse for bad behavior.

If people are trying to tenuously extrapolate from this that "Nezha is a trap = players who use Nezha are gay" then that is one hell of a stretch IMO, to the point of ludicrousness

OK, so if people started using a different slur, like a racial slur, would that be OK?  I mean, it would be a stretch to extrapolate that to the players that use Nezha after all, so what's the big deal, right?  The problem with that is that the damage is already done, even without extrapolating to the players that use Nezha.  It's done by using degrading, demeaning, and dehumanizing slurs in chat.  The people on the receiving end of those slurs have already been dehumanized by being made the butt of the "joke".  That's what slurs are, they are words meant to harm, meant to dehumanize, meant to degrade others, and randomly using them in chat is tantamount to targeting those individuals.

I was playing Armored Warfare over the weekend and had the misfortune to run into an idiot spouting all kinds of racist crap about Romanians, basically calling them thieving gypsy scumbags (in a nutshell). Myself and a bunch of other players reported him and got him banned. Thats what I'd call actual abuse.

IOW, it's only "actual abuse" if it's something that you can identify with.  Try thinking about how you feel when you hear that and maybe think that people who are affected by other slurs might feel the same way when other slurs are used in chat.

2 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Quite frankly I struggle to understand how the whole Nezha business blew up into this big taboo subject. After all, if I'm reading the urban dictionary correctly, all you're doing essentially, is saying a guy looks like a girl, (or possibly) vice versa.

Look, this has been discussed dozens and dozens of times on here. I can only say what I've said all the other times. Different people find different things offensive. We as a community could never sit down and make a list of offensive words and phrases that we would all agree on. What you find offensive might be different from what I find offensive, and what I find offensive might be different from what DE finds offensive. 

But here's the thing: none of that matters at all. In my house, I don't care whether you find something offensive or not, I will kick you out if I find it offensive. A restaurant owner is free to kick out a customer who's behavior he finds rude, even if the other customers did not. And DE is free to decide what words they consider offensive on their chat server. Whether you or I also find those words offensive is completely besides the point and doesn't matter at all.

What I'm saying is, you don't need to understand it. It won't make any difference at all, whether you do or not.

Well, there's a difference between being self-centered arrogant and making humorous jokes, which MOST people I've seen get banned for. 

Before this thread gets locked(I'm hedging my bets on it, since it seems like the case whenever there's criticism about censorship; irony eh), I Believe  DE has one of the STRICTEST chat bans in almost any game I've played. I get people say stupid things and that's part of the internet, but I believe DE doesn't factor into the "context" in which how some "offensive" words may be used, at least in cases of humor or some random slip-ups. For example, is saying "Nezha is a trap" really that offensive to the point that it deserves a temp mute from the entire global chat? If I were DE, I'd probably either censor the word, kick the player from that chat section temporarily(like how you cant say lf/hosting in trade section), or have a bot give a verbal warning via inbox message to let the player know they WILL be temp muted if happens again. I'm all in for giving players fair chances, not instantly banning them on the spot just because a kickbot has detected a word or a DE employee found a word offensive. I'm not really fond of DE employees pandering to this sjw-style censorship.

*PSST* To any mods/player mods reading, lemme be clear, this is only my two cents and it's just honest criticism. I have no animosity towards the game or developers.

DE will put any word they want on the insta-ban bot-kick list. It doesn't matter how innocent or unwarranted you might think it is because it's their game and their rules.

I do understand your criticism, though. Context does get thrown out the window... alot.. and the new norm is overreaction. If you do crack wise on chat and get kicked/banned, just take it with a grain of salt and move on.

18 hours ago, (XB1)R3d P01nt said:

The same way any slur does.  Thankfully, DE are a company that takes matters like this seriously.

First off, operations have nothing at all to do with this.  Secondly, calling someone inherently deceitful, leading to murder and people getting away with it by citing the "gay panic" or "trans panic" defense is not at all complementary.

No one that you know, perhaps.  That doesn't equate to no one at all.

'It's just a joke/meme' is no excuse for bad behavior.

OK, so if people started using a different slur, like a racial slur, would that be OK?  I mean, it would be a stretch to extrapolate that to the players that use Nezha after all, so what's the big deal, right?  The problem with that is that the damage is already done, even without extrapolating to the players that use Nezha.  It's done by using degrading, demeaning, and dehumanizing slurs in chat.  The people on the receiving end of those slurs have already been dehumanized by being made the butt of the "joke".  That's what slurs are, they are words meant to harm, meant to dehumanize, meant to degrade others, and randomly using them in chat is tantamount to targeting those individuals.

IOW, it's only "actual abuse" if it's something that you can identify with.  Try thinking about how you feel when you hear that and maybe think that people who are affected by other slurs might feel the same way when other slurs are used in chat.

17 hours ago, rune_me said:

Look, this has been discussed dozens and dozens of times on here. I can only say what I've said all the other times. Different people find different things offensive. We as a community could never sit down and make a list of offensive words and phrases that we would all agree on. What you find offensive might be different from what I find offensive, and what I find offensive might be different from what DE finds offensive. 

But here's the thing: none of that matters at all. In my house, I don't care whether you find something offensive or not, I will kick you out if I find it offensive. A restaurant owner is free to kick out a customer who's behavior he finds rude, even if the other customers did not. And DE is free to decide what words they consider offensive on their chat server. Whether you or I also find those words offensive is completely besides the point and doesn't matter at all.

What I'm saying is, you don't need to understand it. It won't make any difference at all, whether you do or not.

Jesus Christ get off your high horses guys!

And maybe try to comprehend what I was posting, instead of immediately going on the attack about MY perceived lack of understanding. 

You don't need to explain this to me. I have enough experience with gaming to know the creators can moderate their forums & chat any way they like. I fully accept this. I was simply giving an opinion (we are allowed to have those, right?).

My point was, the specific example I quoted is incredibly tenuous, to the point that many people won't even realise it can be offensive. Case in point, I had to ask what all the fuss was about when I joined the forum and saw the topic being discussed. Someone actually had to link the appropriate part of the urban dictionary to me, before I understood what the hell they were talking about.

Plus the phrase is question is about a specific frame. Its not even directly targeting individuals.

If you need to be fluent in urban slang to know whether something is offensive or not and can get you banned, you really need to question the extent of the moderation (IMO).

My example from Armored Warfare was designed to show the difference between obvious, direct insults aimed at specific individuals and the situation we have here.

You both even agree that "different people find different things offensive". That works both ways. Also, what you are forgetting is that AWARENESS plays a big part in this. Many people will not be AWARE that such oblique references can be offensive, unlike my AW example.

So yes, I did not have a clue what was being spoken about initially...but even after it was explained, I have to say it still seems ridiculous. But obviously DE have the right to police their game any way they see fit.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

53 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

And maybe try to comprehend what I was posting, instead of immediately going on the attack about MY perceived lack of understanding.

Um, you specifically stated that you don't understand some things about this.

54 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

My point was, the specific example I quoted is incredibly tenuous, to the point that many people won't even realise it can be offensive.

That people are ignorant is no excuse.  You are responsible for what you type into chat.  If you blindly type things into chat without understanding what they mean, that is your fault.

55 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Plus the phrase is question is about a specific frame. Its not even directly targeting individuals.

Once again, it is never not targeted at individuals when you use slurs.  That's the whole point of using slurs, to target individuals who are the objects of the slur and dehumanize them.  Speaking about Nezha is not just speaking about Nezha, but making sure that anyone who is the target of the slur knows that they are being targeted as well.  You would probably recognize this if you went into a crowded area and started using racial slurs.  When others got upset, you wouldn't try this type of defense.  It's only when it's a slur that you wish to use or don't care about the people on the other end of it where it suddenly becomes OK.

57 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

If you need to be fluent in urban slang to know whether something is offensive or not and can get you banned, you really need to question the extent of the moderation (IMO).

That makes no sense.  You don't need to be fluent in urban slang, you need to be fluent in the words that you choose to use.  If people are using slang (well-known BTW) to disparage other people, then that's a reason to have moderation, not a reason to not have it.

58 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

My example from Armored Warfare was designed to show the difference between obvious, direct insults aimed at specific individuals and the situation we have here.

The examples are not actually any different.  Both examples use slurs to demean, degrade, and dehumanize others.  The only real difference is that you refuse to grant humanity on the people who are the target of this particular slur.  Remember, people are killed because of this, and here you are saying that it's not real abuse.

You both even agree that "different people find different things offensive". That works both ways.

No, it doesn't work both ways, for a couple reasons.

1. This is DE's server.  So, what they find offensive and wish to keep off their server is what will be kept off the server.  It's their house, their rules.
  2. If someone tells you something is offensive to them (minus people trolling), you don't get to tell them it is not offensive.  That something is not offensive to you doesn't mean that it's not offensive.  That something is offensive to a marginalized group means that you don't get to disregard that simply because you are not offended by it.

So yes, I did not have a clue what was being spoken about initially...but even after it was explained, I have to say it still seems ridiculous.

It's ridiculous that people use this type of language.  It's ridiculous that people use this type of language in conjunction with their "gay panic" or "trans panic" defense in court to get out of murder.  It's ridiculous that people fight so hard to be able to say words that cause real harm to real people, up to and including murder.  And, it's quite ridiculous for you to look at people getting murdered and look at the slurs used against them and claim that it's not real harm or real abuse and that this is all just ridiculous.

On 2018-08-20 at 5:57 AM, (XB1)R3d P01nt said:

Then what is considered a slur? Is saying "nezha is a trap" really considered so heinous to the point people get banned for days for such a simple and humorous phrase? The example I've brought up is definitely NOT a slur nor offensive at all, other than an edgy joke.

If you're gonna categorize something something so harmless as a slur, then ANYTHING can be a slur. 

Edited by guthorian

27 minutes ago, guthorian said:

Then what is considered a slur? Is saying "nezha is a trap" really considered so heinous to the point people get banned for days for such a simple and humorous phrase? The example I've brought up is definitely NOT a slur nor offensive at all, other than an edgy joke.

If you're gonna categorize something something so harmless as a slur, then ANYTHING can be a slur. 

Saying "Nehza is a trap" kinda has really bad implications.

"Trap" is a term used for feminine males who try to tempt other males into sleeping with them.  This implies deceitfulness.  Nehza is vaguely feminine, barely so.  However, Nehza does not tempt males into sleeping with him.  Calling Nehza a trap implies that all slightly unmasculine males are inherently deceitful.  In a world where people are still routinely abused and harassed, if not worse, for their appearance, acting like this is fine is disrespectful and foolhardy.  It's these little things that we think are okay that cause the big things to happen.  It's like kids using "gay" as an insult, the implication there is that being gay is wrong or bad or undesirable or all of those and more, which leads to terrible things happening to those affected.  Calling it "harmless" only shows ignorance.

For that matter, ignorance is not an excuse.  It could be a reason, but it doesn't excuse what was said or make it okay.  A child making fun of someone's appearance who was horrifically burned or something still hurts them, it still causes pain.  The child didn't know better, but that doesn't make the hurt go away.

Lastly, it is considered spam.  It will get you banned just as much as "Press F to pay respects" will.  It invites discussion like this very thread that DE does not want in game, which is perfectly fair.

1 hour ago, guthorian said:

DE categorizes it as a slur. Again, on their chat servers, this is all that matters. Whether you consider it a slur or not is irrelevant, since you don't make the rules in Warframes chat. And yes, saying it will get you banned for a week.

1 hour ago, Vox_Preliator said:

Saying "Nehza is a trap" kinda has really bad implications.

"Trap" is a term used for feminine males who try to tempt other males into sleeping with them.  This implies deceitfulness.  Nehza is vaguely feminine, barely so.  However, Nehza does not tempt males into sleeping with him.  Calling Nehza a trap implies that all slightly unmasculine males are inherently deceitful.  In a world where people are still routinely abused and harassed, if not worse, for their appearance, acting like this is fine is disrespectful and foolhardy.  It's these little things that we think are okay that cause the big things to happen.  It's like kids using "gay" as an insult, the implication there is that being gay is wrong or bad or undesirable or all of those and more, which leads to terrible things happening to those affected.  Calling it "harmless" only shows ignorance.

For that matter, ignorance is not an excuse.  It could be a reason, but it doesn't excuse what was said or make it okay.  A child making fun of someone's appearance who was horrifically burned or something still hurts them, it still causes pain.  The child didn't know better, but that doesn't make the hurt go away.

Lastly, it is considered spam.  It will get you banned just as much as "Press F to pay respects" will.  It invites discussion like this very thread that DE does not want in game, which is perfectly fair.

With all due respect, the term is simply for jokes in game, and not meant to be taken seriously. In addition, it seems like you're giving the term "trap" based on your personal implicated context, not based on the context of others. When people use the term "trap", I'd say 99% of players don't see the implication of what you described nor find anyone as less. Simply put, the context of the individual should matter, not have someone else dictating that assumption/context which I vaguely stated in my first post. 

Again, this is just constructive criticism, I don't mean any disrespect in any of my posts.

35 minutes ago, rune_me said:

DE categorizes it as a slur. Again, on their chat servers, this is all that matters. Whether you consider it a slur or not is irrelevant, since you don't make the rules in Warframes chat. And yes, saying it will get you banned for a week.

Oh, I'm well aware and I do agree it's their rules. I'm simply critiquing the strictness of wf chat, which I believe you should be allowed to do. However(irony), I have noticed threads get locked almost instantaneously whenever people critique the strictness of the game's chat system, at least from the threads I've seen. Is it some kinda taboo? 

Edited by guthorian

1 minute ago, guthorian said:

Oh, I'm well aware and I do agree it's their rules. I'm simply critiquing the strictness of wf chat, which I believe you should be allowed to do. However(irony), I have noticed threads get locked almost instantaneously whenever people critique the strictness of the game's chat system, at least from the threads I've seen. Is it some kinda taboo? 

I don't think it's taboo. There were a long running thread a while back in the feedback section (where these threads actually belong) that included some of DE's staff as well. But they also made it very clear in that thread, that they did not want to have a discussion about what is or isn't an insult or a slur. And if you notice, when a thread turns into that, such as people saying "but calling Nezha that isn't even an insult" is exactly when the thread gets locked.

If you have ideas or suggestions on how to improve the current system, and you post it in feedback, I don't think it will be locked. I could be wrong, though, I obviously can't speak on DE's behalf.

41 minutes ago, guthorian said:

With all due respect, the term is simply for jokes in game, and not meant to be taken seriously. In addition, it seems like you're giving the term "trap" based on your personal implicated context, not based on the context of others. When people use the term "trap", I'd say 99% of players don't see the implication of what you described nor find anyone as less. Simply put, the context of the individual should matter, not have someone else dictating that assumption/context which I vaguely stated in my first post. 

Again, this is just constructive criticism, I don't mean any disrespect in any of my posts.

Intention doesn't really change what the words mean, though.  The implication absolutely exists, I've experienced what that sort of thoughtless speech and unfortunate associations can do if not dealt with.  I'm too tired to expand on this right now, I'll try to remember to come back to this in the morning.

But again, I don't understand why people push to be allowed to say these things in Warframe's Chat.  There is a time and place for things.  This language, whether offensive or not, whether correct or not, whether it holds implications or not, IS inflammatory.  It creates a response that just overall makes Chat not a pleasant place to be.  You'll have one group protesting its use, a group responding to that, a third group supporting the first, a fourth group making "grab some popcorn" jokes, and the whole time Chat is a borderline cesspit.  This is why phrases like "Press F to pay respects" are also on the list (At least I think it is, I heard something about that a while ago), they just make chat experience worse for everyone else.  DE doesn't want to deal, and rightly so, with people getting angry about things that have no place being discussed in Warframe's Chat, and thus effectively tears out the problem by the roots and refuses to let the phrase exist there in the first place.

Edited by Vox_Preliator

9 hours ago, guthorian said:

Yes, it is that heinous, for the reasons I've already outlined.  Slurs are words that are meant to degrade, demean, and dehumanize others (most often minorities).  It is a slur as it categorizes a group of people as deceitful and malicious and leads to real harm to real people.  Also, you can't claim that something is edgy and completely non-offensive in the same breath - those are contradictory.

7 hours ago, guthorian said:

With all due respect, the term is simply for jokes in game, and not meant to be taken seriously.

That may be easy for you to say, but you are not on the receiving end of the slur.

7 hours ago, guthorian said:

When people use the term "trap", I'd say 99% of players don't see the implication of what you described nor find anyone as less. Simply put, the context of the individual should matter, not have someone else dictating that assumption/context which I vaguely stated in my first post.

The harm caused is no less real simply because the player was just "joking around".  "It was just a joke/meme" is not a valid excuse for chat violations nor for saying harmful things.

Jokes are not appropriate for region chat, nor is it appropriate to spam memes in a chat meant to help newbies answer basic questions.

With regards to nezha, it may not be offensive to some, it is still divisive and inappropriate.

These are of course my opinions.

Because everybody that plays warframe is 20 million years old and their brains are fully developed to the point where they know not to say things that region chat tell you to say. There’s no such things as younger people with less developed brains that don’t understand what internet slang is and aren’t speaking to anyone SPECIFICALLY. Nope, none at all. And I’m not attacking anybody, I just mean. Why don’t they just censor words like that so nobody sees them instead of not letting them speak at all? It makes cases where offensive things are accidentally said not too bad and people intentionally trying to be a jerk can’t say the bad offensive thing? It just makes too much sense!

hace 1 minuto, (XB1)watsonAJA dijo:

Because everybody that plays warframe is 20 million years old and their brains are fully developed to the point where they know not to say things that region chat tell you to say. There’s no such things as younger people with less developed brains that don’t understand what internet slang is and aren’t speaking to anyone SPECIFICALLY. Nope, none at all. And I’m not attacking anybody, I just mean. Why don’t they just censor words like that so nobody sees them instead of not letting them speak at all? It makes cases where offensive things are accidentally said not too bad and people intentionally trying to be a jerk can’t say the bad offensive thing? It just makes too much sense!

As a $&*&*#(%& that got a week ban from all chats, i disagree, this has been one of the best experiences ive had in a long time, i have time to understand everything, and while i am unable to trade for platinum, i am learning the real value of things, i am pretty much a vet at this point, i am so sad and lonely, please send help