Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Telekinetic Warframe

Cloel

So I know the idea has been tossed around but I have some ideas that I think would make a very satisfying warframe. 

First of all, before anyone brings it up: Nyx is Psychic.  She has control over enemy minds, and this is very different from telekinesis, which is control over kinetic force, ie, moving objects.  Mag sort of fits the bill, but I think if you ready ideas you'll see a distinctly different Frame that would be very fun.

I have ideas for the visual but am not the best artist, if anyone wants to help, let me know in the comments and I'll get in touch.  Now, onto the abilities.

1. Grab.  This is a channeling ability.  You target an enemy, and the ability lifts them off the ground.  At this point, your cursor moves them around until you press the ability button again, letting you slam them into walls, other enemies, or toss them helplessly into the air (my personal favorite).  I think it should steadily drain energy at a relatively low rate.  Pressing the ability button again releases them, maintaining momentum.

2. Toss.  This move can be used in conjunction with grab to toss a single enemy with more force similar to bow kills, or just point and press to lightly toss enemies in a cone within range.

3. Accuracy.  This ability let's you use your telekinesis to control the spread of projectiles as well as reduce recoil, effectively increasing the accuracy of weapons.  Maybe for your whole team.  This would be especially fun with shotguns and weapons with very low accuracy.  It might be cool to even allow it to increase damage falloff and range

4. Repel/Attract.  This ability would throw everyone around you away from you for light damage and cc on press, or, if held, would pull in all enemies around you in a larger radius, bringing them into melee striking distance or perhaps letting you use them as a wall of living shields.

This is kind of my first attempt and I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the 4th, but I definitely think the others would be awesome fun.  Would love if an artist took a crack at it with or without my input.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Cloel

48 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Technically nyx is still telekinetic. Absorb stops incoming fire and reflects it on release, and psychic bolts can be considered a telekinetic dagger throw.

I think psychic bolts are technically like psychic energy, otherwise calling them psychic bolts doesn't really make sense.  There's nothing psychic or bolty about controlling daggers.  Since psychic energy is immaterial, it wouldn't be controlled by kinetic force.  Absorb doesn't have to be telekinetic either.  In the nuances of psychic powers there's the ability to sort of distort reality in a way that alters the way things behave.  When Nyx expells the energy absorbed, it isn't that she's equally distributing halted projectiles, so the only way I can explain it is that she's altering the space around her to halt the force of the bullets, which is manipulation of time, and redirect that force, which is the manipulation of space and the fundamental laws of physics, which don't fall under the category of telekinesis.  If she were stopping the projectiles and then sending them back out that'd be different, but since the damage of the ability is distributed equally to all enemies in range, and since the range is limited, and since surely the enemies are firing different kinds of projectiles from different directions, telekinesis can't really explain the outcome.  What's more, it even absorbs the damage from non projectiles and energy waves and such.

47 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

double post

I didn't post it twice, if it's appearing twice then something glitched.  I'll look for the copy and take it down.  Thanks for letting me know.

Just now, Cloel said:

I think psychic bolts are technically like psychic energy, otherwise calling them psychic bolts doesn't really make sense.  There's nothing psychic or bolty about controlling daggers.  Since psychic energy is immaterial, it wouldn't be controlled by kinetic force.  Absorb doesn't have to be telekinetic either.  In the nuances of psychic powers there's the ability to sort of distort reality in a way that alters the way things behave.  When Nyx expells the energy absorbed, it isn't that she's equally distributing halted projectiles, so the only way I can explain it is that she's altering the space around her to halt the force of the bullets, which is manipulation of time, and redirect that force, which is the manipulation of space and the fundamental laws of physics, which don't fall under the category of telekinesis.  If she were stopping the projectiles and then sending them back out that'd be different, but since the damage of the ability is distributed equally to all enemies in range, and since the range is limited, and since surely the enemies are firing different kinds of projectiles from different directions, telekinesis can't really explain the outcome.  What's more, it even absorbs the damage from non projectiles and energy waves and such.

I didn't post it twice, if it's appearing twice then something glitched.  I'll look for the copy and take it down.  Thanks for letting me know.

No, that was my double post. I didn't want the same message up twice, so I just edited it.

Would be fun to be able to push enemies out of your way, to pull their weapons away from them much like how they do it to us, to repeatedly slam their bodies into the ground, to be able to blow all enemies away, etc..

Mag is magnetic and nyx is psychic. Similar but not indentical. Even so, their abilities aren’t the same as what I just mentioned. 

But it may be a while before DE decides to go into that area which is basically levitation.  

4 hours ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Would be fun to be able to push enemies out of your way, to pull their weapons away from them much like how they do it to us, to repeatedly slam their bodies into the ground, to be able to blow all enemies away, etc..

Mag is magnetic and nyx is psychic. Similar but not indentical. Even so, their abilities aren’t the same as what I just mentioned. 

But it may be a while before DE decides to go into that area which is basically levitation.  

I think whether they go that route is up to us and how much support the idea gets and how much work they have to do (as in where's my concept artist) cos they frequently use user submitted content.  One of the coolest things about this game tbh.  I just wanna toss my enemies about like the puny ants they are

I think the concept needs more flavor,  otherwise it's just "frame used to play with physics engine." A frame focused on telekinesis and levitation could be fun to play as, but it would need more than just a title to be worth considering. And as you stated yourself, Nyx and Mag already kind of do this, Mag moreso.

One of the distinct efforts the DE team is clearly taking is to make each frame distinct in flavor and playstyle. I admittedly haven't played EVERY frame, but the 20 or so I have played have all felt different and unique, despite some of their powers essentially being the same thing (see Ember and Frost's 1 ability.) This is why a frame that could mess with physics needs a flavor beyond that: to separate it from Mag and Nyx, who would have basically the same abilities.

On 2018-08-17 at 9:45 AM, hawkjohenson said:

I think the concept needs more flavor,  otherwise it's just "frame used to play with physics engine." A frame focused on telekinesis and levitation could be fun to play as, but it would need more than just a title to be worth considering. And as you stated yourself, Nyx and Mag already kind of do this, Mag moreso.

One of the distinct efforts the DE team is clearly taking is to make each frame distinct in flavor and playstyle. I admittedly haven't played EVERY frame, but the 20 or so I have played have all felt different and unique, despite some of their powers essentially being the same thing (see Ember and Frost's 1 ability.) This is why a frame that could mess with physics needs a flavor beyond that: to separate it from Mag and Nyx, who would have basically the same abilities.

Except that in mag or nyx the the only abikity that moves your enemies around is mags pull.  I think a play style that revolves around moving enemies about and using them as projectiles against one another is pretty darn distinct.  The abilities I described above and the ones the other guy described are *almost nothing like mag or nyx abilities with the exception that the first half of the 4 I described is has a similar cc effect to nyx 4(but no other similarities) and the other guys disarm idea is one several war frames have.  I'm not sure what point you're arguing friend, the frame I described is right on par in terms of uniqueness in the warframe universe.  No other frame let's you move enemies around as it's main feature.

My point is that you need more of a theme than "throws people around." It was the first sentence I wrote in that post.

Players like fluff and lore: it gives more impact to a character. Even the simplest of frames can benefit greatly from fluff and theme. Take Excalibur, for example. Without any of his lore, he can be summarized as "sword frame." Those two words don't grab attention, they don't draw a player towards giving him a shot. Now, you fluff it up a bit...

"Excalibur, the first frame, who can conjure blades of energy to cut down his enemies." THAT is theme. It gives you an idea of who he is and how he plays. My POINT, sir, is that your concept needs a theme to make it unique, rather than focusing entirely on the mechanics.

23 hours ago, (PS4)Burake said:

The living shields concept is cool, I have a similar ability concept about living shields on my warframe idea, Zodiac- The Gravity Frame.

I would love a gravity frame.  Gravity is such a cool thing.

On 2018-08-18 at 3:27 PM, hawkjohenson said:

My point is that you need more of a theme than "throws people around." It was the first sentence I wrote in that post.

Players like fluff and lore: it gives more impact to a character. Even the simplest of frames can benefit greatly from fluff and theme. Take Excalibur, for example. Without any of his lore, he can be summarized as "sword frame." Those two words don't grab attention, they don't draw a player towards giving him a shot. Now, you fluff it up a bit...

"Excalibur, the first frame, who can conjure blades of energy to cut down his enemies." THAT is theme. It gives you an idea of who he is and how he plays. My POINT, sir, is that your concept needs a theme to make it unique, rather than focusing entirely on the mechanics.

I mean lore can be come up with bro that's not really the most important part of a warframe.  It's essential, but a warframe with great lore but that plays like ass is less desirable than the inverse