Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

WORST tilesets in your opinion? + Corpus Gas City rework.

Nitro747

So, they are halfway through reworking the Corpus Gas City tileset, speaking of adding some lore behind it and make it more updated to the current game's standards. The thing is that IMO the Gas City tileset was one of the least worse of the bunch needing an overhaul, with so many maps so horrible that I'd rather complete a Sortie with a toothpick than playing on those maps ever again.

So maybe it is pertinent to discuss the WORST tilesets this game has (for whatever reason you think of) and maybe there will be some added priority to making these maps at least a bit less annoying to play at. I'll begin from the worst of the worst to the least worse of them. It can also be a place for venting off your frustrations and ranting about questionable map design decisions :clem:

1- Europa (Corpus Shipwreck): Holy $¨@$%#@%$ I simply can't describe how much I simply hate this map. Why? Well, its unnecessarily gigantic, with huge portions of the map full of nothingness but said nothingness is still somehow appearing on the map and players are able to aimlessly look for some possible hidden stuff in there. Plot twist: there isn't a single crate in these parts. Navigating there is just so damn confusing, with some very oddly placed entrances and 99% of times the game will mislead you to enter in the wrong tunnel. The combination of these factors make up to bugs in enemy spawning placements and all sorts of rage going on player's heads whenever they have to play on that map, be it for sorties or fissures. To add insult to injury the map has the ridiculously unnecessary mechanic of "heat generators" which, in case they break, your warframe will begin to lose health overtime - because Warframes can resist the vacuum of space and Infestation spores but god forbid them not to bring a jacket to a snowy place. There is absolutely nothing redeemable with this tileset.

2- Eris (Infested Ship): Eris is like Europa, but at least is not as horrible as the previous tileset probably because there are no unnecessary open spaces filled with vast amounts of emptiness. Howver, its not without its horrible flaws: TERRIBLY placed off-bounds areas that sometimes ruins the game's flow. Some of those are in such unnecessary places like those where you can just do a simple double jump to leave but nope, they prefered to completely stop the game and teleport you back to a random location instead of understanding every player can jump out of holes by the time they reach Eris. The place is also too dark, with no option of using a flashlight and the infested goo everywhere makes traversing it even more of an annoyance. I wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for the really dysfunctional rooms that seems to be constructed at random, with no parkour options. The fact that there will always be 50 chargers ready to bite your legs off at all times is the icing on the top of this "cake". Kuva missions are particularly horrible because the map is dark and EVERYTHING IS RED. When the Kuva comes out its really, really hard to know where the heck that thing is. We get it, it is supposed to be a mess and stuff, but its still a game map.

3- Corpus Ship: "Doors are locked, time to break in". "Breech complete, you are free to proceed". *3 seconds later* "Doors are locked, time to...". Rinse and repeat this 5 times and you'll get your average playthrough of this tileset. Who thought of this idea and why... Its a gigantic ship full of valued goods that also engages in battles against hardy grineer Galleons, WHY it had to have glass windows that would break at the slightest signs of stress? To make the players' lives more miserable, there are LN2 barrels with stupid range EVERYWHERE in the ship, and said gallons are so fragile that even bullet jumping 1m near them will trigger its explosion and an unnecessary 8 seconds of cold procc (and it will likely break the windows of the ship making you needing to acess the pannel while being shot with an 8 second cold proc while having your shields drained). Unlike Eris, Uranus and Europa, which are places you can avoid entirely, the whole solar system is plagued with these squishy ships. 

4- Grineer Sealab: It's really not that bad in most cases. MOST cases I must stress. The unnecessary archwing parts are what kills this map. And its not just because its archwing, its because for some reason they are SO SLOW. There are also the weird water streams that carries you away to a completely unknown location with NO SIGNS of exit anywhere and you get a map that could be decent if it wasn't for these horrible unchecked parts.

Honorable mentions (maps that are overall nice but can be a pain with certain conditions):

Grineer Shipyard can be a pain to traverse if you have bad luck, but its mostly nice. The problem lies with Kuva missions where the Kuva will end up spawning in the weirdest location ever that takes ages to find.

Lua: Same problem with the Grineer Shipyard + Europa. Sometimes its just a confusing mess with no indications whatsoever where you should go. Had an entire veteran team spending some 2 minutes trying to find an entrance to leave the rescue mission room. The exit was a pitch black corner that was smaller than Atlas.

Kuva Fortress: Same problem with Grineer Shipyard + the Kuva Survival mission is just bad...

For me I'm noticing that my warframe gets snagged on more collision objects than it would in the past I don't know what the cause is but I find that more irritating than tile sets haha, granted there are tile sets where this problem occurs more often for me ... you'll run past an object and get stopped dead in your tracks and think "seriously I'm stuck on that!?"

Infested Ship are always horrible to navigate & you have to wait extra long for newbies/returning players because they get lost in most of the medium-to-large rooms.
Same deal with Corpus Shipwreck, I don't think it's hard to navigate it's mostly just disorienting because the map markers are incorrect extremely often. The fact that you get stuck on every little piece of wreckage and corner of things in there doesn't help. You can't sprint because your char will get stuck on rubble and you can't bulletjump because you'll get stuck on cables & broken ceilings.

I #*!%ing despise the PoE tileset and all the Earth tilesets. The motion blur makes these tilesets incredibly blurry and hard to navigate. Either that or they're incredibly laggy. I'm not sure what causes these tilesets to become incredibly blurry. The Earth tilesets are also incredibly dark making hard to see.

The thing about a lot of the teleport volumes on older tilesets is that they existed before bullet jumping and double jumping did, in many of them you could not get out of them if you fell in (wallrunning was also much more restricted). Eris falls into this age of tilesets. I've noticed some pits that previously had teleport volumes no longer containing them on the corpus ship tileset so likely as the level designers work through the tilesets the ones on eris may be removed or altered as well.

Europa and Eris are definitely up there for me, not necessarily because they look bad, but simply because if there is some bit of terrain or decoration for your frame to get snagged on as you attempt to navigate them you will. I also don't care for Earth's tileset much, mainly because it's just really laggy compared to any other tileset (at least for me).

21 minutes ago, MrMrs said:

I #*!%ing despise the PoE tileset and all the Earth tilesets. The motion blur makes these tilesets incredibly blurry and hard to navigate. Either that or they're incredibly laggy. I'm not sure what causes these tilesets to become incredibly blurry. The Earth tilesets are also incredibly dark making hard to see.

POE isn't really a tile set though? A tile is a room that gets connected to another room during procedural generation of the level that's why they're called tile sets they come together to form the map you play, POE is mostly just the one big chunk of map the only exception of tiles on POE is the mines that you can explore that are hidden behind Grineer doors those mines are the tiles.

Have you disabled motion blur if you don't like that type of visual fx? I don't experience these issues because I've tweaked the game settings to have a visual aesthetic I enjoy.

Edited by main_antagonist
added comma ,

12 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

The thing about a lot of the teleport volumes on older tilesets is that they existed before bullet jumping and double jumping did, in many of them you could not get out of them if you fell in (wallrunning was also much more restricted). Eris falls into this age of tilesets. I've noticed some pits that previously had teleport volumes no longer containing them on the corpus ship tileset so likely as the level designers work through the tilesets the ones on eris may be removed or altered as well.

I thought that Eris was added after bullet jumping was a thing? Or at least the tileset in itself. I also noticed that the wall hopping works really poorly because there are rails that makes unable to climb over. You just keep bumping your head in the air and unable to grab the ledge upwards. Happens most often with Corpus maps.

35 minutes ago, Ksaero said:

Can't say I have any problems with existing tilesets, but I'd rather have a different tileset for each planet first and tileset overhauls second.

That would be great too since it would end up fixing some of the issues. It doesnt need to be a huge total overhaul like what they are apparently doing with Gas City, most maps just need some polishing and attention and they would jump from horrible to very good.

9 minutes ago, main_antagonist said:

POE isn't really a tile set though? A tile is a room that gets connected to another room during procedural generation of the level that's why they're called tile sets they come together to form the map you play, POE is mostly just the one big chunk of map the only exception of tiles on POE is the mines that you can explore that are hidden behind Grineer doors those mines are the tiles.

Have you disabled motion blur if you don't like that type of visual fx? I don't experience these issues because I've tweaked the game settings to have a visual aesthetic I enjoy.

Oh ok. I thought a tileset was just a big generated map.

I haven't found the option to disable motion blur so do you happen to know where it is?

1 hour ago, Nitro747 said:

I thought that Eris was added after bullet jumping was a thing? Or at least the tileset in itself. I also noticed that the wall hopping works really poorly because there are rails that makes unable to climb over. You just keep bumping your head in the air and unable to grab the ledge upwards. Happens most often with Corpus maps.

That would be great too since it would end up fixing some of the issues. It doesnt need to be a huge total overhaul like what they are apparently doing with Gas City, most maps just need some polishing and attention and they would jump from horrible to very good.

I believe eris tileset was released not long after update 14 while Parkour 2.0 was update 17.  Yeah those "bad lips" on edges have been a thing forever, they predate the current movement system and were even worse before as you couldn't bullet jump to get past the majority of them. I wonder if we started collecting images of them using the ingame image capture (because it saves metadata about our location in game) and put them in a big thread in Missions and levels feedback if a bored level designer would take a look at them.

1. Plains Of Eidolon - I love the way the place is designed but Wow it's love to be buggy. Like when there was black Checkers at your screen before DE fixed it, Drone gets stuck in a certain terrain, Eidolons teleporting Randomly, Impossible Waypoints, Eidolon Bounties randomly Failing even when it's night, it's just a mess. Oh, it can crash your Computer too.

2. Eris Infested ships - Only if some parts don't be so dark and narrow. Sometimes, you don't see where you are walking and you fall into a random pit, The narrowness makes it annoying when you are doing Infested hive and you start destroying the hives because it increases your chance to be proc'd with status, And with the Infested design inside of the ship, the map can be messy and confuse you on where you need to go.

3. Corpus Ships - My biggest problem i have with this one is the windows. "Doors are locked, time to break in", "We've been locked out, we need to override the security" after you just hit a random explosive barrel and it can happen when you reach another room with windows. The enemies can trigger the lockdown too by breaking the windows which is pretty lame.

2 hours ago, MrMrs said:

Oh ok. I thought a tileset was just a big generated map.

I haven't found the option to disable motion blur so do you happen to know where it is?

Yep! Options, Display, Motion Blur. There's a bunch of other settings in there too fiddle around as much as you like if you make any mistakes you can always click 'Defaults' to return everything the way it was when you installed the game. @MrMrs

Infested Corpus Ship is my least favorite, simply because moving through it is an absolute chore. There's barely any opportunities for parkour, and there's all these obnoxious twists and tight spaces, and almost everything is dark and fleshy and samey looking. It's like a tube maze for gerbils, if that tube was made of stapled-together intestines from random animals.

Regular old Corpus Ship is kinda like that as well, except the tube maze is made up of light-up robot parts instead of intestines, and every 10 feet there's a damn security door just begging to slam into lockdown.

Other tilesets I don't really have much of a problem with, though it's annoying how much everything on Earth lags.

10 hours ago, Drasiel said:

I believe eris tileset was released not long after update 14 while Parkour 2.0 was update 17.  Yeah those "bad lips" on edges have been a thing forever, they predate the current movement system and were even worse before as you couldn't bullet jump to get past the majority of them. I wonder if we started collecting images of them using the ingame image capture (because it saves metadata about our location in game) and put them in a big thread in Missions and levels feedback if a bored level designer would take a look at them.

I would be really nice if they started paying attention to these things because there are a lot of important things (such as this) needing polishing in this game, rather than releasing loads of new content. These are huge portions of the game and I lowkey know some people who literally quit the game after they reached Europa or Uranus mostly because of bad level design. 🤦‍♀️

My personal least favorite tiles are probably either Misc Infested (mostly Corpus) or Crashed Corpus ice tiles. 

Both of those tiles have way too much that you can get hung up on and several of them cross the line from aesthetically appealing into strait up visual clutter. 

Plus there are a couple Corpus ice tiles where it's really easy to jump to high which results in the game deciding you are out of bounds and force repositioning you which is really irritating. The elivated platform extraction tile with the corpus ship is one and there is one intersection corridor I think it's either a 4 or 5 way, it's pretty small, 2 ice tunnels and 2 or 3 broken ship corridors to choose from with an open ceiling. 

Corpus ice planet - this tileset have long corridors and maze like caverns.

Infested ship/Orokin derelict - i'm putting this 2 on the same level of annoyance when you navigate around because of the cluttered infested overgrowth.

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Nitro747:

The problem lies with Kuva missions where the Kuva will end up spawning in the weirdest location ever that takes ages to find.

We have this problem on a few tilesets, but imo thats a flaw in the Kuva-Mission game design.

Just mark the kuva syphon like a capture target is marked on the minimap, problem solved.

I dont know who at DE thought it is fun to run around the map when everything is done already for minutes just to find this. It is frustating in particular if you see your catbuff running out because you cant find that thing. Before i completly stopped playing those missions because 1. There is no syphon at all because when the mission was loading the location changed or 2. you have to run all over the place to find it i was the person who decided to go in the complete opposite direction of where the mission target is. That sometimes helped, but what kind of gamedesign is this?

Corpus Ship:

I agree with the annoying breaking windows, but you can add something to the gameplay experience! 😀 The nice elevators that sometimes appear in masses. Those are endgame.

Europa:

I also dont like this tileset, but i guess it comes to personal preferences. I dont like the visual looks aswell but others might and at least its different from the other tilesets.

3 hours ago, DreisterDino said:

We have this problem on a few tilesets, but imo thats a flaw in the Kuva-Mission game design.

Just mark the kuva syphon like a capture target is marked on the minimap, problem solved.

I dont know who at DE thought it is fun to run around the map when everything is done already for minutes just to find this. It is frustating in particular if you see your catbuff running out because you cant find that thing. Before i completly stopped playing those missions because 1. There is no syphon at all because when the mission was loading the location changed or 2. you have to run all over the place to find it i was the person who decided to go in the complete opposite direction of where the mission target is. That sometimes helped, but what kind of gamedesign is this?

They tried to make it like a "surprise" if you look at the dialogue. Something like "ooh, what is this? :O" sort of thing. Problem is that we need to farm so much of that thing that it just gets overused to death. They should really mark the Kuva Siphon, make the Lotus just straight away tell us she detected some kuva space magic going on. It's really not that hard :T

I agree about corpus wreck and the sealab, but for different reasons with the latter.

The sharkwing sections have trash collision boxes over almost any surface. The controls make it excruciating, requiring inching along in some cases to prevent the chaotic controls from flinging you behind cramped tunnel bounds. Life would be simpler if one just, you know, bounced off a wall.

Since Sacrifice, the game teleports me at random back to specific spots for doing evil things like riding an elevator.

Today’s sorte assasination of Jackel had the rendering engine blanking out and also teleporting me to haphazardly. Solo.

Aesthetically: I get a bit tired of seeing everything broken in most tilesets. Europa, the sealab, Eris, Derelicts, Earth... everything is either in disrepair or completely destroyed. I'd like more tiles that look functional, and in use.

The worst tilesets for gameplay IMO: Europa, Eris, Uranus.

Europa is pretty though, but there and in Lua I'd like more windows so we could see the outside while we're in interior tilesets.