Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Request: Please make it easier for us, as artists

Max_AKC

Learning 3D software without prior knowledge of it or experience with it is difficult enough. So i feel poised to ask, why are we required to start work from game-ready models? i.e. half the files you load into Zbrush have components lying on the floor, and it's up to the artists themselves to put these pieces where they belong. The files for Nidus are the worst case i've seen.

I feel infuriated by this now that i've completed the sculpting phase of a skin for Wukong, have done retopology and UV unwrapping and am now trying to load the low poly model and high poly texture work into Substance Painter. Do i combine subtools in Zbrush? what do i combine? How can i load the alternate helmet i created for Wukong when Zbrush rejects that file and refuses to load the file even though i made it compatible to Zbrush within Topogun?

It's difficult, i feel that DE could make it easier for us. Maybe i'm wrong, maybe it's about as difficult to make something for Warframe as it should be.

/rant

you want to start to created the maps to proceed to texture right? you need to combine all the subtools that  make the body, since the high res will be use to project all this detail using the low res as basis. also what extention are you using, maybe some screen grabs will help understand better, i have my share of difficulties too when i started so i understand but dont give up just be stubborn. 

On 2018-08-20 at 5:55 AM, SpiralViper said:

It's difficult, it's about as difficult to make something for Warframe as it should be.

It's about as difficult as any extremely specialized and highly paid career there is out there. You shouldn't blame others for your lack of knowledge especially when you perfectly understand what it is that you don't know yet.

Study, learn, apply, be a badass artist... there's no skipping steps 😉

Thank you guys, i needed a reality check. It doesn't make sense for DE to modify their finished models to accustom for our use. Now i see this is mostly a problem with Zbrush, and with that i can understand how ridiculous my request is given that artists would use many different software packages. I have a lot more to learn about Zbrush and am currently in the process of learning Substance Designer, will move on to Substance Painter after that. I downloaded tutorials from Michael Pavlovich's Gumroad page.

I haven't tried opening the file in Blender. I moved the separated parts to where they belong in game, hoping i got it right. It could be slightly off, which i presume would be a problem when it comes to texturing.

The problem i've encountered is while trying to make a skin + alt helmet for Wukong. I have tried moving the separated parts to where they should be, combining the subtools and exporting as a .OBJ file. I don't know how to load the low poly body file + the low poly alt helmet file into Substance Painter. I have high poly versions of both. Should i work on the body and helmet separately in Substance Painter?

• 2 weeks later...

What i dont understand from the youtube tutorial is why does he make the low poly himself, isnt there like a generate button for that? I use Solidworks for my product design and before 3d printing i can pretty much setup the desired amount of polys in the output, in my case i export it as .stl. It makes low poly in seconds. Wheres the problem?

Le 10/09/2018 à 13:53, Crowtor a dit :

What i dont understand from the youtube tutorial is why does he make the low poly himself, isnt there like a generate button for that? I use Solidworks for my product design and before 3d printing i can pretty much setup the desired amount of polys in the output, in my case i export it as .stl. It makes low poly in seconds. Wheres the problem?

You can automatically generate a low poly mesh but it's always better to do it by hand to ensure no compexe details on small area are lost in the process because, especially for a static model that won't be animated (in this case, an helmet), you're not just looking looking for an equally dense lower poly mesh, but more for a mesh with different density on different area to puch as much details as possible with the low poly limit.

This sword (not warframe related at all) is a great example of this :

• First, the final result of the sword (the sketchfab model if you want take a closer look : https://sketchfab.com/models/4b2578546b7b4ee883048b9a1e69ad51)
    1536688575-fdsqfdsfdsdsffsd.png

• Next, the current retopology in red, how you can see, part that have really low curve on just little hollow have really low polygon density while round shapes or shapes that actually affect the silouhette have high enough density to pop out.
    1536688507-erzarerzarezaarez.png

• Now, how an automatic retopology would look like (done by hand in photoshop to explain), overall higher polygon density but area that need to have even higher density (in purple) are the same as the whole thing and there is an overall lower quality for an higher total polygon number.
    1536688573-gfsdfgsdfgdgfddgfdgf.png