Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] A Fated Encounter

Levariel

(Before you start reading ahead, just hear me out first. This is simply an idea that’s been bouncing around in my head for the longest time, and I felt it deserved mention in this wonderful wiki that many of us have used as a guide for who knows how long. These are my thoughts, nothing more, criticism is welcome as is normally the case, so without further ado, enjoy.)

Many towers have been reactivated in the wake of the Tenno and their meddling, the automated defences fell to superior power and technology that could have come about thanks to the reverse-engineering of designs that had long since been thought lost to time. Or rather, that’s what I’ve allowed them to think. Throughout the many years since the very first of my kind stepped out of the Void and back into real-space, the Tenno as they know call themselves have slowly risen to power like a mighty island rising out of the ever-shifting seas. But not without help.

Oh, I had sat back and watched as those I called brethren tore their way back into real space, wreathed in the new-found energy that only the Void could provide. At first I’d thought them to be killed on transit, or perhaps destroyed upon re-entry into the system that we had discarded so long ago. But no, they were alive and well, and locked into suits of flexible metals to better conduct the primal powers that they had been gifted with. Does this somehow sway my choice? Of course not. I know what I must do to ensure the survival of the system and that of the technology that is lost to the twisted storms of the Void.

In fact, I remember the very first incursion quite clearly, it was during a time of change, unbridled by those that knew how to reign it in.

The original craft was little more than a retro-fitted science vessel, ill-fated for combat, its sole purpose was to fly into the Void and seek out what unimaginable power was hidden within. Our aptly named ship, the Event Horizon, was fitted with shielding that held out long enough against the Sentient onslaught for the Void Borer to rend a hole into the pulsating dimension that was what we called the Void.

Aesthetically speaking, the ship was little more than a colossal girder of metal with an engine at one end, and what appeared to be a monumentally large boring drill at the other. However, the drill was made not of iron, but of an energy that was contained behind magnetic fields that all fluctuated to a single point in space. It was at this point that the hole was opened, that the unprotected monster of the Void forced its tendrils through to tear asunder those ships that pursued us, as if it was actually sentient.

It was then that we waited for inevitable, for this beast from the bowels of hell to swat us away was it further tore itself into real-space, but it did no such thing. In fact, the entity seemed to dissipate, as if real-space was somehow its bane. We cared little for details, we simply saw a way out of the murderous hellhole of real-space that gnashed at our heels, it was then that our captain made the choice to fly unprotected into the Void itself.

The Void was another plane, another world that paralleled our own in some twisted parody of all that we had built before the Sentients had arrived to tear asunder our great works. The space around the ship was little more than a conglomeration of swirling vortexes and unnameable colours that twisted and pulsated with each second. This was the Void in all its primal glory, seen without the protective shielding of the bulwarks that the Tenno how call towers. We as a crew knew not what the future held for us in this hellish landscape, nor did we know just how long we would be stuck in this existence for. Then, the sirens blared.

Their noise bounced across the hollow halls of our ship, weaving their infernal racket through every room and corner of the Event Horizon seemingly without cause, but those few of us that weren’t immediately disorientated by the sound knew what it meant; the shields had faltered. The cascades of energy that the Sentients had fired at our vessel were so powerful in their magnitude that the damage had been done, in mere moments the ship and everyone aboard would be torn to atoms amidst one of the countless swirling vortexes that made up Voidspace.

The modulator units near the engines of the vessel gave out first, unsheathing the stuttering drive and leaving it naked to the raw power of the Void, from then it was mere seconds before we had all been blown apart, torn atom from atom in a cataclysmic fire that sparked and died in the same instant. But did we die? Did we succumb to the impossibilities of the Void and end up as little more than motes of dust constantly floating through a pocket dimension? No.

Instead, we became something more, something that the Orokin couldn’t possibly hope to understand or comprehend with their narrow-minded intellect. We became beings of energy, controllers of the primal workings of Voidspace and forever entwined with its fate as a force to be reckoned with in its own universe with its own laws. Of course, this transition from beings of flesh to beings of light wasn’t without its difficulties, some of us simply gave themselves to the Void in a way that was both wasteful and nonsensical. Yet they did so anyway, thinking that there was some kind of a way to return to realspace without being transformed and turned into the natural embodiment of countless possibilities.

And so, we became the masters of this pocket of the Void, this small pit of pulsating colours and warped universal laws with little to show for it besides envy for those we had left behind. But as fate would have it, luck was on our side this day.

Edited by Levariel