Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using A Control Pad In Warframe: Feedback

Lifeshield

Well I have to say I am absolutely loving Warframe but I have to state I do feel that the control pad support, while I'm happy it is in at least some way supported, is in need of some work. A few things I would like to bring up in the hope it will be taken onboard and implemented in the future. 

Any inputs noted are with using the below listed controls on a XBox 360 Control Pad.

1: It would be good if we could have the option for the game to remember our log in details when launching. When playing on a big TV the last thing we want to do is reach for keyboards to input log in details.

2: With a control pad we are unable to navigate pretty much most menus. Most menus allows you to back out with B. The exception is the main options menu, which allows navigation vertically with the D-Pad and horizontally with Bumper buttons. Also able to enable/disable and choose options. Cannot confirm settings though, this requires a mouse. The only thing you can do is back out with B. 

3: We are also unable to hack with a control pad, meaning you need to use a mouse to do so. I suggest having each hacking node assigned a controller button to rotate the node to it's required position. Would be good to have one button dedicated to backing out as well.

4: We are also unable to select items in the inventory. You can bring up the menu for it, you can exit it with B, but you need to use a mouse to select items within it.

5: It is uncomfortable holding down sprint with a control pad thumbstick (if mapped to it). It would be good if once initiated the sprint is maintained by simply holding the stick in the desired direction of travel and stopped when the stick is centred. Or if a toggle option was given.

6: It would be nice if we had icons for pickups, control panels, etc according to the controller (or in the very least XBox 360/PS3 Control Pad Icons seems they seem to be the more popular Control Pad these days.

7: A target lock option, using the aim button, would be a nice addition for melee combat. This would make circle strafing and avoiding enemy attacks more fluid. Disable ranged combat with this enabled, make this for melle only!

8: A seperate controller profile for mapping buttons used for spectating, etc. Seems we're dead it doesn't matter if I use my D-Pad to switch who I'm looking at, it's not like I need to switch a weapon, or use a power, etc, in spectator mode. 

9: A toggle option for aiming zoomed in would be a welcome addition. With this we could then put aiming on the right thumbstick, allowing blocking  to be mapped to the Left Trigger, which would make it much more functional.

10: Please disable Aim Assist, in it's current form, by default.

11: Tone down Aim Assist. This amount of Aim Assist is more of a hindrance than an assistance, especially with the hectic nature of Infestation! It also causes bugs with Anti Matter Drop when aiming zoomed in.

I hope that that control pad control issues will be worked upon in the future.

While I am here I am going to offer up my control pad layout for anyone here who wishes to try it.

Control Pad Layout (Xbox 360 Control Pad)

RT: Fire

LT: Aim

RB: Melee

LB: Sprint / Roll

A: Jump

B: Toggle Crouch

X: Use

Y: Change Weapon

Left Thumbstick: Block

Right Thumbstick: Reload

Up: Power 1

Down: Power 2

Left: Power 3

Right: Power 4

Select: Place Marker

Start: Menu

Menu Options

Use Abilities on Selection: Enabled

Hold Jump to Wallrun: Enabled

Enable Gamepad Aim Assist: Disabled

Vibration: Enabled

Edited by Lifeshield

4: We are also unable to select Gear. You can bring up the menu for it but then need to use a mouse to select it.

5: It is uncomfortable holding down sprint with a control pad thumbstick. It would be good if once initiated the sprint is maintained by simply holding the stick in the desired direction of travel and stopped when the stick is centred.

I agree with the sprint, it's just a pain -_- sometimes I will just do a roll instead and I don't really NEED the roll, so options to switch those out would be great. Oh and you CAN use gear, well I have an X360 controller and I'm sure it'll be the same for a PS3 one, but the D-pad is how you access your blocking ability, choosing your skills and UP is for your gear(if you've quipped any).

Edited by OrtuOcelot

I agree with the sprint, it's just a pain -_- sometimes I will just do a roll instead and I don't really NEED the roll, so options to switch those out would be great. Oh and you CAN use gear, well I have an X360 controller and I'm sure it'll be the same for a PS3 one, but the D-pad is how you access your blocking ability, choosing your skills and UP is for your gear(if you've quipped any).

When I press the Gear button it brings up the Gear menu, showing what Gear I have, but I cannot do anything with it despite having gear equipped.

Edited by Lifeshield

OMG is there people using gamepads?

Yes there are people who use Control Pads, some of us have been using them for many years. Instead of posting your complete and utter surprise at the very thought of the idea perhaps you should move on to other posts where you can actually be more helpful. As for the rest I'm not even going to bother entertaining you over such utter nonsense. Grow up!

Edited by Lifeshield

Well, this is kinda differnt. i own a gamepad, but in alot so games, specially games with menus like warframe, i dont use the gamepad default system.

I unplug the gamepad, launch the game, then plug the gamepad and turn my Xpadder on.

While Xpadder emulates the gamepad to specific key bindings, i can for example, add the left analog to WASD and the right analog to the mouse movements, therefore, i can easely select any menu, since i can move the "mouse" with my gamepad.

Try to use it, it's a free program. A bit confusing in the beggining, but once you get used to it, you can have several config in 1 pad, for example, pressing X jumps, but if u press/hold L1 it would sprint

Well, this is kinda differnt. i own a gamepad, but in alot so games, specially games with menus like warframe, i dont use the gamepad default system.

I unplug the gamepad, launch the game, then plug the gamepad and turn my Xpadder on.

While Xpadder emulates the gamepad to specific key bindings, i can for example, add the left analog to WASD and the right analog to the mouse movements, therefore, i can easely select any menu, since i can move the "mouse" with my gamepad.

Try to use it, it's a free program. A bit confusing in the beggining, but once you get used to it, you can have several config in 1 pad, for example, pressing X jumps, but if u press/hold L1 it would sprint

I'm no stranger to Xpadder, I use it in several other games including the likes of Mass Effect Trilogy, Guild Wars 2, and The Secret World, but it comes with a horrible bug that when you create multiple sets for quick switching it will mix them up with the only way to fix it being minimizing the main application and switching the set manually in Xpadder. So far I've never been able to find a solution to this issue. I can work around it but I really just don't want to have to in the middle of a gunfight.

Seems Warframe has the foundation for control pad support there it would be more preferential for Digital Extremes to finish what they started rather than have to rely on what I personally find to be an unreliable third party application.

Edited by Lifeshield

If you want to take the challenge and discuss my sarcastic critique it's up to you.

I'm secretly envious of you gamepadders 'cause I would like to have the skill to use them with the same effect of mouse+keyboard but I'm afraid it's physically impossible.

I'm always looking for someone that proves me "it's possible, just invest your time taking practice". Then I would try to switch.

Edited by Vanadio

There should be ways to implement the gamepad into working the menus and hacking without screwing with the UI. Perhaps a sort of "Stack" selecting capability for the controller (difficult to really describe...but let's say youre hacking, you select one honeycomb, modify it a bit, then you click...RB or maybe right stick or something...and the "highlight" goes over another selection.)

I come from an XBOX 360 background, and I fully understand the very fine line between accommodating a gamepad without distorting the UI for the base players. That said, gamepad support needs to be REAL gamepad support, for those who are uncomfortable with a keyboard (Like what I used to be.)

Edited by AscendantWyvern

This is at no one in particular but in general. Can we get over the "OMG people use control pads" aspect of this thread and concentrate more on the matters that need addressing please? This is a feedback forum and these are issues that need to be addressed by the developers. If you don't use a control pad, and have nothing constructive to post on the subject at hand, then you are not contributing to this topic or community in the slightest. It is not important what peripheral players wish to use. It is important that players who wish to use Control Pads as their peripheral of choice can at least access basic functions in-game, like menus and hacking interfaces.

Edited by Lifeshield

snip

by your lack of good sense i can suposse yours is lower than mine. Otherwise you wouldn't flame in such a ridiculous aspect

snip

PS: No need to post a image where you had 100% acc, i can make that too aswell

Don't suppose, it makes you at least as lacking good sense as you say I am...

lol @your PS btw.

I really didn't want to start fighting on this matter whit this anger, and hijacking the thread.

Your general reaction was unexpected, maybe in this regard I lacked "good sense".

I was expecting more "hey trust me mate, I can 85% the Braton, my thumb rules, just need practice".

Take care.

[size=4][size=5]

I was expecting more "hey trust me mate, I can 85% the Braton, my thumb rules, just need practice".
[/size][/size]

[size=4] [/size]

[size=4][size=5] [/size][/size]

[size=4][size=5][size=5] [/size][/size][/size]

[size=4][size=5][size=5]This isn't a thread to discuss how to use a control pad, or the pros and cons of using one over a keyboard and mouse. This isn't the place to come to be swayed either way, discuss tips on being better with a particular device, or discuss which peripheral is more accurate. [/size][/size][/size]

[size=4][size=5][size=5]This is a feedback thread for issues that users of control pads have that stop them from enjoying the game to it's fullest potential. Nothing more, nothing less. I could care less if you, or anyone else, are better with keyboard and mouse (to be honest I get quite sick of hearing the same old crap over and over again). All that matters is that the lack of basic functions that stop myself and others from being able to enjoy the game to it's fullest potential with a control pad are, in the very least, noted by the developers and hopefully fixed/added in the future.[/size][/size][/size]

[size=4][size=5][size=5]As stated before, if you want to discuss control pads in general, discuss it in the appropiate forum where I'm sure "99%" of the general Warframe population will jump up and agree with you in the highest derogatory fashion. This thread is for the "1%" who are happy to use control pads but are suffering from the same issues brought up (among any others) and need them addressing so that they too can enjoy the game fully. [/size][/size][/size]

[size=4][size=5][size=5]Some of us would like to use Big Picture Mode and play on our nice 60" HDTV's without having to scrabble for a wireless keyboard and mouse to hack or access a basic menu. I guess the very thought of someone chilling back on their sofa, playing on their nice TV and Surround System, and generally relaxing and having a good time, is beyond some people though. [/size][/size][/size]

[size=4][size=5][size=5] [/size][/size][/size]

[size=4][size=5] [/size][/size]

[size=4] [/size]

Edited by Lifeshield

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another suggestion: letting people have reload and use be the same button, just that you tap to reload and hold to use. Would free up some much needed space.

A nice suggestion, though personally I use the right thumbstick for reloading (I have my controls setup Lost Planet style).

Also seems I'm here, none of these issues have been addressed yet. With the Playstation 4 release imminent I hope that these issues will be fixed for the supporters who helped make a console version possible in the first place.

Edited by Lifeshield

I'm thinking that DE will remap and overall improve gamepad functions about a month or so before the PS4 launch, so we'll have to hold out until then, sadly.

The thing that troubles me most about this is that there is no official word from DE on the matter. Sure, it is probably not highest on their list of priorities (well I guess it should be now they're making a console version), taking into account the general userbase will use mouse and keyboard, but it leaves a portion of us with a control system that for the months I've been playing, still isn't working properly. Not everyone likes to sit at a desk playing games.

If DE want to use us as lab rats for their console versions they'll need to improve the control pad settings a lot quicker than that I reckon. No one better to test control schemes than the people who will use them on a regular basis.

I also really hope that we do not lose the ability to remap buttons in the process either.

Updated the OP with some new issues. I have also added my current control scheme to the OP. Maybe it might be of some use to the developers to see what control schemes some of us currently use.

Edited by Lifeshield

Obvious question is obvious: why play warframe with a gamepad? Works nicely for melee I'm sure but gunplay? Yuck, playing FPS/TPS with dual analog sticks is tedious at best, if you're playing PC games on a TV you should get a lap-desk or similar setup for kb+m.

Obvious question is obvious: why play warframe with a gamepad? Works nicely for melee I'm sure but gunplay? Yuck, playing FPS/TPS with dual analog sticks is tedious at best, if you're playing PC games on a TV you should get a lap-desk or similar setup for kb+m.

Firstly this is a Feedback forum, not General Discussion, so your question doesn't really belong here. However I will answer it, simply because I'm getting a bit tired of hearing the same question over and over again (not only that but it also gets this thread back to the top and into the eyes of the devs, so maybe they will take notice for a change).

I can only speak for myself, not for others.

I'm (currently, not getting any younger) 33 years old. I have been playing games with control pads for the better part of fifteen plus years. Asking me to use a Keyboard and Mouse to play a game is like asking a fifteen year plus Keyboard and Mouse warrior to use a Control Pad. It just isn't going to happen. I am at that point where I play better with a Control Pad than I, personally, will ever play with a Keyboard and Mouse. Don't think it is for lack of trying.

I also find using a keyboard and mouse incredibly uncomfortable. I can't sit at a desk and use a keyboard for any period of time over 20 minutes or so as it gives me excruciating pain in my left hand. A mouse isn't so bad, but even that begins to ache after a while. 

A Control Pad (especially the Xbox 360 Control Pad thanks to its shape) is a comfortable alternative, regardless of the game (even MMO's), whether it is supported natively or whether I have to find my own alternative via third party programs. It might not be as accurate, or as fast, as a mouse, but it's better for mobility and close combat. I am accurate enough that, with me being an average player, I can aim for the head (or knee). I can in the very least keep up with the average Warframe player.

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1572646/

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1572647

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1572648

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1572649

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1572740

This isn't a competitive shooter. It's not Battlefield 3 or Counter Strike. It's not Unreal Tournament 2004 (oh and for the record I played that with a Control Pad competently too). I don't need pinpoint accuracy (people act like aiming is impossible with a Control Pad, for a seasoned control pad user it is most definitely not). I just need to kill stuff, which I am more than capable of doing (whether that be ranged, melee, or with abilities), which doesn't really require pinpoint accuracy to do.

As for using a Lap Desk when sofa gaming. Sorry, but that is just not going to fly either. You're telling me that rather than have DE fix problems that "need" fixing that I should go out and spend money on a Lap Desk, as well as a wireless Keyboard and Mouse, just to be able to play the game properly with a Control Pad? Not to mention I am not the only person who sits on my sofa. Think about all the peripherals laying around. You're talking a Control Pad, a Keyboard and Mouse, and a Lap Desk. On top of the discomfort issues already noted and my inability to use a Keyboard and Mouse as competently, it is just not a viable alternative at all.

I shouldn't have to resort to that. Not when I already have my own viable alternative that is semi supported already, a Control Pad. Not when it takes a few tweaks to Warframes coding to fix the issues that us Control Pad users have so that we can enjoy the game just as much as everyone else is.

People need to get over this stigma that Keyboard and Mouse is the only viable option out there. A Control Pad may have its restrictions (namely its snap speed and pinpoint accuracy), most Control Pad users are well aware of them (we're not stupid you know?), but in the right hands it is just as viable a device in a "co-op" game than any other. Instead of looking down on people because they prefer using Control Pads be happy that they are able to play a game in a way that doesn't handicap them.

Sitting here and telling Control Pad users that they suck because of their chosen peripheral, that Keyboard and Mouse is better for X reason, blah blah, isn't doing anything to fix the issues with Control Pads in this game. All it does is anger and alienate Control Pad players who are trying to leave their own feedback and get these issues resolved. We're sick of hearing the same tiresome rubbish over and over again. That, my friend, is more tedious than using any peripheral. We're not all 15 year old Xbox 360 Call of Duty try hards. You're not suddenly going to change the way we play our game just because you think your way is the only way that is viable.

It's like trying to tell a console player that a PC is better. They don't care. All they care about is playing their games in a way that suits them. And that's all I care about, playing my game in the way that best suits me (and I'm sure others will feel the same way, regardless of what peripheral they use to play, hence the hundreds of anti rushing threads on this forum). See the best thing about playing on a PC is the sheer amount of options I have available. I can downsample the game so that it looks better. I can run Post Processing mods to edit some effects, I can edit the graphics options to improve performance.

What I cannot, currently, do (without third party programs) is play the game to it's fullest potential the way I usually play my games, with a Control Pad. Not because it isn't accurate enough, not because I am incompetent with it, not because it isn't supported. But because DE have not addressed the issues with the current control system that is in place for Control Pad users. But of course, with all that said, we "the minority" should just suck it up and use hybrid control systems just because some other gamers (whom are mostly inexperienced Control Pad users who balk at the thought of using such a device) think Control Pads aren't a viable option for ourselves, right?

Forgive the (longer than intended) rant, but I am just a little bit sick of the ignorance of some people over such matters. You worry about enjoying your game the way you enjoy it, and you let us worry about enjoying our game the way we want to. It doesn't affect you in any way, shape or form as long as we are capable of killing stuff and I assure you we do not "need" a Keyboard and Mouse to do that.

Edited by Lifeshield