Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Archwing Concept] The Electromagnetic Archwing

Jokubas

This is my first time posting something like this. I hope this doesn't end up too boring. I just love Volt and want to have a thematically similar moveset while doing Archwing gameplay.

Introducing...

Space Volt-Mag

The Electromagnetic Archwing

Abilities

1) Electromagnetic Pulse

Unleashes an electromagnetic pulse from your Archwing. Dealing X electric damage and guaranteed electric and magnetic status effects to enemies within Y meters.

(Odonata's Repel is already an EMP, but I think there's room for both, especially in a more specialized theme. I'd differentiate this by it being cheaper, weaker, and having no disarm. More about quickly scrambling everything around you rather than repelling them long term.)

2) Accelerate

The Archwing projects electromagnetic currents through and in front of itself, accelerating it to extreme speeds. This increases the Warframe's attack speed and agility, allows you to crash through non-solid obstacles and enemies unimpeded, and creates a damaging shockwave if you crash into a solid obstacle (you still take damage from such crashes, but your recovery is quicker).

(Unlike Volt's Speed, I did not have this affect the group. I figured that the differences in Archwing maps make it less feasible to do so. In exchange, I hoped to make it a little more versatile for the user. Also, in trench run missions, an AoE speed could easily be used to troll your squad, and even for yourself it might get out of hand, so I wanted to offset the drawbacks if you found it too fast to control.)

3) Magnetist

The Archwing projects an electromagnetic field, grabbing and disabling any enemies caught in the radius, forcing them to orbit you in a sparking sphere. Enemies caught in this way can be launched by a powerful electric blast, becoming electrified projectiles that arc damage to enemies they pass before exploding on impact. Pressing the button once unleashes the field, grabbing nearby enemies, and each successive press launches one enemy until there are no more, upon which the button will once more release the field.

(I realize the enemies are pretty big in Archwing compared to us, so perhaps this one could be changed to just attract space debris that it generates, as I also suggest for the following ability.)

4) Railgun

The Archwing magnetizes a random piece of debris (spawned for the ability) and charges a massive attack. The wings fold forward to form the rails of a large railgun and an electric charge is built up. During this time, the electromagnetism building up around the Archwing deflects attacks. When the charge is complete, the piece of debris is launched from the railgun in a devastating attack that does massive damage to anything in front of the Warframe.

(This would differ from Velocitus by being an Archwing ability, and being on a whole different scale. Instead of holding a gun, it would be like temporarily transforming your Warframe and Archwing into a capital ship's cannon.)

EDIT:

Concept Art

Here are two concepts I drew for this Archwing. I did this just for fun. The visuals really aren't why I made this thread, but I had some spare time and I had some paper handy.

archwing-sketch.png

The first one I was a lot more wild with:

archwing-1.png

This one was all about the Jacob's Ladder arcs. Everything here is fully charged and just waiting to arc some of that energy toward your opponents. If you notice, the "wings" aren't even connected except through the sheer electromagnetic power of the Archwing. Unfortunately, the colors didn't come out too well. My attempts to reflect the electricity in the copper/gold just made it look kinda sickly. Also, I'm not sure I quite got across that the "wings" have several blades arranged around a circle, like a hollow Elytron, but I hope you can get the idea. I took inspiration from various sources here, but overall I wanted a psuedo-Orokin look. Instead of boxy or rough, everything's sharp like the electricity it forms.

The second one was a more focused design:

archwing-2.png

For this one, I primarily referenced the Amprex. This one was intended to be more of that boxy tech look, with the power safely enclosed in insulation and reactors, except where it emerges for combat purposes.

Sound Design

It occurred to me while hearing some thunder, that it could be interesting to make this Archwing more thunderous than Volt, especially considering the wider expanses this game mode entails. You can easily overdo thunder, so my sound ideas are as follows:

Electromagnetic Pulse: Being a more spammable abilitiy, this one would have a lighter sound than thunder. I'd imagine something more like Volt's Overload.

Accelerate: Upon activation, this one would have a loud, thunder-like crash.

Magnetist: Again, to balance the heavy thunder sounds, this one would be more passive upon activation, and would sound more like Volt's Shock when launching enemies.

Railgun: While charging this one, you could either go for something sparky, or a gradually building hum, but when the ability fires, I imagine this one to be another thunder-like crash.

Edited by Jokubas

What does everyone think of the EMP? I'm a little worried it might come across as too much like Odonata's Number 4, but it really seems fitting here. Upon reflection, maybe it should also do a Magnetic proc. Perhaps instead of the damage?

Edited by Jokubas

This is a very interesting concept especially considering the levity of the archwing and how much it has impacted the gameplay of warframe. this could even be a jump off point for even more archwing of different elemental varieties such as like maybe a fire based archwing or a stealth archwing.

An interesting idea and something i believe should be considered.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll get around to the obvious ones, but I just wanted to put my two cents in about this one, since the electricity element holds a special place for me.

By the way, I updated the original post with concept images. As I say in the edit, the look isn't what matters to me, but I thought I'd put something together to make the thread more interesting.