Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapons System Suggestion (With Melee Improvements)

Mietz

This might have been suggested before, anyways.

Right now the melee is rather bland with the E button doing all the things and just pressing it repeatedly isn't very fun.

Of course the problem everyone will point out is how we simply don't have enough buttons and where should all those other attacks go?

Glad you asked, it's very simple. Make the melee button an "equipable"  just like guns are.

When you press E you bring out your melee weapons (you "ready" them) and now the mouse buttons are free to be used for different attacks, even with combos.

Readying your weapon would be governed by the melee weapon Rate, so fast/light weapons ready faster than heavy weapons and switching between melee and ranged would be less fluent.

Additionally, on the first E press, a normal light attack could be already executed so the fluidity stays intact.

A few suggestions/examples for the allocation of attacks on the mouse buttons:

LMB - Light attack (normal rate, normal dmg) horizontal slash(es)/punches

RMB - Heavy attack (2/3 rate, +dmg) angled overhead vertical slash(es)/uppercuts

Hold RMB - Charge Attack

Hold LMB - Forward Thrust (+armor pierce/knockback with fists)

Example Combos

Air + hold RMB - Forward Dive thrust (+armor pierce, knockdown)

Air + hold LMB - Pirouette (360° horizontal slash) 

Crouch + RMB - Uppercut (launches enemy and player up)

Air + LMB - (light attack in air with airtime on connect)

Air + RMB - (heavy attack in air with airtime on connect)

Different weapons could have their own sets, like the Fragor could connect with multiple targets on the uppercut and launch more of them in the air, etc.

Of course those are just suggestions.

EDIT:

Oh, just thought of something.
The way to not lose fluidity and have the exact same gameplay as right now would be to make E an "alt-toggle" button.
You hold down E and use LMB and RMB as described above, if you let go of E you automatically go back to your main gun.
I think this would be mechanically elegant.

Edited by Mietz

Hmm, that's actually an interesting idea, I wonder if it might slow the gameplay a little bit, melee attacks usually being an emergency spam when enemies surround you, and this might take away considerable from the gun play, however I am intrigued, I like the idea of a more in depth melee system and the suggested solution is very good, curious to see how the rest of the community reacts.

Hmm, that's actually an interesting idea, I wonder if it might slow the gameplay a little bit, melee attacks usually being an emergency spam when enemies surround you, and this might take away considerable from the gun play, however I am intrigued, I like the idea of a more in depth melee system and the suggested solution is very good, curious to see how the rest of the community reacts.

The blending of melee/gunplay might become less viable this way, but at the same time make melee-only or melee focused characters more interesting and viable.

Right now the game is considerably ranged weapon oriented and melee seems, like you noted, an "emergency" option (an afterthought or complimentary).

I would like both the gunplay and melee systems more fleshed out.

Good ideas, as the melee system in this is kind of lacking. I think that adding atleast some variety in melee would make it abit more interesting.

Your ideas sound really awesome but I have no idea how they'd work in game. Hopefully DE has something in mind otherwise this is a good starting point.

The way to not lose fluidity and have the exact same gameplay as right now would be to make E an "alt-toggle" button.

You hold down E and use LMB and RMB as described above, if you let go of E you automatically go back to your main gun.

Edited by Mietz

well, the problem with this would be that you wouldn't be able to move right very well, as the finger for the D key and the E key that I use is the same finger, albeit I might be different, but just saying

Slight variation:  keep the current melee button as is, but while charging an attack you could use your primary/alt fire+movement keys to execute other moves instead.  Your primary fire would give you a directional movement+attack, and alt fire could give you special stationary attacks (eg forward is a cc attack, sideways are aoes, backwards is defensive).  This would preserve the quick simplicity of the current melee system while adding in some more advanced moves with greater utility.

Edited by Effusion-

well, the problem with this would be that you wouldn't be able to move right very well, as the finger for the D key and the E key that I use is the same finger, albeit I might be different, but just saying

Hows that any different from right now?

You already need to hold down E for charge attacks or hammer it for your regular attacks, so that finger is already occupied anyways with the current move set.

Also you can rebind those keys if you want.

• 3 weeks later...

This might have been suggested before, anyways.

Right now the melee is rather bland with the E button doing all the things and just pressing it repeatedly isn't very fun.

Of course the problem everyone will point out is how we simply don't have enough buttons and where should all those other attacks go?

Glad you asked, it's very simple. Make the melee button an "equipable"  just like guns are.

When you press E you bring out your melee weapons (you "ready" them) and now the mouse buttons are free to be used for different attacks, even with combos.

Readying your weapon would be governed by the melee weapon Rate, so fast/light weapons ready faster than heavy weapons and switching between melee and ranged would be less fluent.

Additionally, on the first E press, a normal light attack could be already executed so the fluidity stays intact.

A few suggestions/examples for the allocation of attacks on the mouse buttons:

LMB - Light attack (normal rate, normal dmg) horizontal slash(es)/punches

RMB - Heavy attack (2/3 rate, +dmg) angled overhead vertical slash(es)/uppercuts

Hold RMB - Charge Attack

Hold LMB - Forward Thrust (+armor pierce/knockback with fists)

Example Combos

Air + hold RMB - Forward Dive thrust (+armor pierce, knockdown)

Air + hold LMB - Pirouette (360° horizontal slash) 

Crouch + RMB - Uppercut (launches enemy and player up)

Air + LMB - (light attack in air with airtime on connect)

Air + RMB - (heavy attack in air with airtime on connect)

Different weapons could have their own sets, like the Fragor could connect with multiple targets on the uppercut and launch more of them in the air, etc.

Of course those are just suggestions.

EDIT:

a bit too much but its ok to combine w/ mine... i think

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/43656-m-e-l-e-e/

They are already working on combat.

I hope they use a system like in Devil May Cry:

Instead of Pushing "E" to draw your melee weapon:

While holding E -  Left and Right Mouse Button can be used as Melee Combo hits.

LMB, LMB, RMB - Combo 1

RMB,LMB, RMB - Combo 2

LMB + RMB - Combo 3

etc...

This allows of fast switching between shooting and melee like currently.

Edited by Thypari2013

This allows of fast switching between shooting and melee like currently.

Actually, I think the switch between melee and guns is too awkward at the moment. I know this isn't probably their top priority, but I'd love to see smoother animations when you switch from melee to shooting or vice versa.

The first time I staggered a Grineer with my skana and then shot him with my lato vandal I was quite giddy because I hoped for a cool animation. Instead the melee animation got interrupted and he was immediately in gun mode. It was quite a bit disappointment, since I had hoped to blend shooting and melee seamlessly. What I'd really like to see would be the ability to shoot a one handed gun WHILE using your melee attack. It'd give a reason not to just go for the akimbo version!