Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Concept Samurai Themed Warframe, "tamonten"

lightini

Good day to all, As i roamed through the forums, many ideas sprouted from there, many trying to implement samurai themes, from the ancient japanese period, many good ideas even, and here is mine: a mixed samurai themed warframe, Tamonten

I had many sources of inspiration, so i took any ideas i liked and tried to patch them together, for instance, Asura's Wrath for the deity, Until death do us part (Mamoru, "Blade"), for the humanized part of the diety. if you want to see what the character's personality would sound like. And of course Rouroni no Kenshin some the powers and animations.

Lore:

Having lost his former masters, the Orokin, he lost his way in loyalty, he decided to exile himself into the void once more... but what he found out there was only loneliness and despair. he was consumed by rage, wrath and sorrow. To quench all those emotions, he took upon a new name and decided to dedict his sword to the only master that hi will not betray: Power

Tamonten is a vagabond, a mercenary, looking fo test and polish his skills against powerful foes, always trying to gor farther and farther in the mastery of using his weapons, the warframes and the void's power were for him an opportunity to lose himself in the art of war, clonsing in from the asura, being who left everything behind to accomplish his ambition. Some say, that when he was human, it was the rumored Miyamoto Musahi, or someone possessed by his spirit.

Ans when war broke out again, he went out of exile, opportunity given to him to polish even more his skills in this neverending changing war... to satisfy his thirst for power.

Description:

Basic utilisation of this warframe is to mix in gun kata as uniformly as possible, switching from melee to gun as smoothly as possible, and the same goes for power to melee and power to guns, giving really a full catalog of fighting style.

The idea is giving either a full armor from the warring times, or stick to the rouroni style, (like Limbo straight suit magician style), giving him a kimono. Tamonten will have his trusted blade Murasame incorporated into the frame, like this:  

rouroni_weapon_idea_concept_by_omegasamu

and incorportate it into one arm so it make it look like one of loki's elbow:

sans_titre_by_omegasamurai-d894f3m.png

Rouroni will this way not be hindered by keeping it on his waist, and it also can be used as a niitoryu, with both the sword and the scabbard.

For my personal preferences, i would like Tamonten to have the kimono, as the armor would make him more of a soldier who pledged for a leader of some sort... but hey if it rocks, to hell loyaty! :3

Here is how i picture the frame:

Two stages: a coat and the regular clothes inside:

concept_rouroni_by_omegasamurai-d894ez2.

And a sleveless coat, that will be affected by physics:

h133w_by_omegasamurai-d894eyt.jpg

Base Statistics

Health 100.0 (300.0 at rank 30)

Power 100.0 (150.0 at rank 30)

Armor 65.0

Shield Capacity 100.0 (300.0 at rank 30)

Sprint Speed 1.15

Stamina 100

Polarities

1x 20px-D.png
1x 20px-V.png

Aura Polarity

1x20px-V.png

Power list:

Power 1: Quickdraw, cost 25

Tamonten will quickdraw to slash a single ennemy with his murasame unleashing a wind slash traveling some distance, the animation is quick, efficient, but will leave an window opportunity for ennemies to deal some damage.

The power will deal 100/200/400/600 slash damage.

With a range of 3m/5m/7m/10m

There is also an augment ability idea to throw here: An added animation after the stab: Tamonten will quickdraw out, then quickdarw in, and the impact of unsheating the words will stagger all ennmies inside the radius

The radius of the AOE would be the same range of the power quickdraw

Power 2: Guardian Spirit cost 50

Tamonten will deflect incoming attacks to avoid damage, giving the impression of the materialization of a guardian spirit.

The power would be a duration based and strengh based one, when the power is activated, Tamonten would be glowing in energy, and all melee attacks would be deflected, but for ranged attacks, it will only reduced the damage you take in.

When hit by an attack when the power is active, it will manifest himself by showing an after image of Tamonten using his murasame to deflect the attack, but it will not affect the player in his mobility, like blocking with a regular sword and not be able to move. So i can use the power, and continue to shoot with guns while i'm still being protected.

The power will be used for 3s/5s/7s/10s, and will reduce 5%/10%/15%/20% with 40% cap of ranged attacks, and 20/30/40/50% of melee damage with 70% cap.

Note: the power is to be used in combination with all other powers you want to enjoy full potential of Tamonten in CC.

Power 3: Murasame cost 75

Using the power of the cursed blade, Tamonten take in the power of murasame to unleash the fury of the blade.

The murasame will take in the base damage of all waframes melee weapons and add it to it's own, the more ally you have, the more base damage your melee will do. (tenno only, npc are not to be accounted)

note: the reason it will not affect other warframe, is to make tamonten less of all doing warframe, and a little originality, to see what can we bring out of it?

Power 4: Iai (Oh boy my favorite one, i need feeddback on this one)

Assuming control of the space, Tamonten unleash thousand of years of practice, body counts, and experience his ultimate technique, the Iai. A quickdraw with a single slash to whipe out any ennemies entering Tamonten's Territory. The iai in a more perfected and powerful power than the quickdraw, but have a certain casting time, and should the taken into account when used. 

Should you fall during the casting time, the power will not be unleashed.

Dealing 300/550/750/1000 Finisher slash damage, dealing 100% slach procs to surviving ennemies, and cutting in two all that did not.

The range is 7m/10m/13m/17m, and will work like Mag's crusher, all ennemies inside the range when the blade is unsheated will take the attack. once the damage is dealt, ennemies entering the range will not be damaged anymore. Obstacles will not protect the ennemies, just like Excalibur's radial javelin.

And here it is folks! if you have any questions, i'm happy to answer them. if you have any design, fan art, powers recommandation or anything else do not hesitate!

I will edit the topics regularly with new found fan arts , details or feedback. good day!

Edited: changed the pictures and resized

added pictures for the frame aesthetics concept

Tweaked all powers and rewrote the murasame/quickdraw power, for less all powerful warframe.

Renamed the warframe Tamonten, as japanese war god one in many names. Bishamonten, and bishamon seeming too long and sounding digimon like

Added more description for warframe utilisation.

Changed topic's title

Edited by lightini

I don't like the art, too many foreign terms having hard time grasping the ideas.

Plus shouldn't he be Ronin rather than Samurai?

No you misunderstood the art is not what the frame should look like i'm just taking the concept from the sword's scabbard on the arm., i don't have actual art for Rouroni, and that is why i want to give him a kimono, and not an armor, to stick ronin style. i will edit when i find a suitable one for Rouroni

No you misunderstood the art is not what the frame should look like i'm just taking the concept from the sword's scabbard on the arm., i don't have actual art for Rouroni, and that is why i want to give him a kimono, and not an armor, to stick ronin style. i will edit when i find a suitable one for Rouroni

Fair enough, looking forward to it.

First things first, maybe you should try giving Rouroni an actual name, considering that name was just derived from the word "Ronin" and is used as a character's name from a manga (the word might be copyrighted). Pick a name that is more fitting for your Warframe and it's general theme. From what I read, you are trying to make a pure samurai warframe, and the title "Ronin" is given to Samurai who have lost their honor in a very dishonorable way. Take Excalibur for example, he is named after a sword and he himself uses a lot of blades.

Also, a problem I see with the abilities. The problem itself is not about individual abilities, but rather how they work together. What you gave your Warframe is basically, a ninja-esque assassination ability, a "tanky-ish" ability, an attack boost and a nuke. You are basically giving one Warframe several roles, and it ends up as a mess. Gatotsu is more of a ninja ability than it is a samurai ability, it just does not fit with the general theme. Guardian Spirit is just a buffed version of deflecting bullets which you can do normally. Murasame is a bit confusing, is it a melee mode like Valykr's Hysteria? I think you need to just specify exactly what this is. And Iai, it is basically just an ultimate Slash AoE nuke from the looks of it. Some of these abilities somewhat resemble the abilities of other Warframes, so there isn't anything really unique that will make this guy stand out.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good concept and I like the idea, but it just needs a bit of work to make your concept Warframe shine :)

First things first, maybe you should try giving Rouroni an actual name, considering that name was just derived from the word "Ronin" and is used as a character's name from a manga (the word might be copyrighted). Pick a name that is more fitting for your Warframe and it's general theme. From what I read, you are trying to make a pure samurai warframe, and the title "Ronin" is given to Samurai who have lost their honor in a very dishonorable way. Take Excalibur for example, he is named after a sword and he himself uses a lot of blades.

Also, a problem I see with the abilities. The problem itself is not about individual abilities, but rather how they work together. What you gave your Warframe is basically, a ninja-esque assassination ability, a "tanky-ish" ability, an attack boost and a nuke. You are basically giving one Warframe several roles, and it ends up as a mess. Gatotsu is more of a ninja ability than it is a samurai ability, it just does not fit with the general theme. Guardian Spirit is just a buffed version of deflecting bullets which you can do normally. Murasame is a bit confusing, is it a melee mode like Valykr's Hysteria? I think you need to just specify exactly what this is. And Iai, it is basically just an ultimate Slash AoE nuke from the looks of it. Some of these abilities somewhat resemble the abilities of other Warframes, so there isn't anything really unique that will make this guy stand out.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good concept and I like the idea, but it just needs a bit of work to make your concept Warframe shine :)

Thanks for the insight, i never really thought of it this way, just you said it, it would have turned into a pseudo valkyr. i just wanted to put in light more of a melee warframe in general, but trying to stick to a theme that was more than vague.

I tried to stick to the melee and worked the powers this way, but maybe it was too much, i will think of reworking all 3 first powers, the more it tried to push it the more it ressembled a mesa taylored to melee.

The problem with gatotsu, is i initially wanted to make it a dash, but it would become a excalibur salsh dash ripoff, so i compromised with a teleportation mechanic.

For guardian spirit, it was intended as a pseudo turbulences from zephyr, not by deflecting the bullets with actual melee weapons.

And for Muramase, i felt like it was more thant valkyr's hysteria with the damage buff, but yes it may not be needed i will think of something else.

And in Ronin theme, they are people who have no masters, and lost their honor like you said. but they have not lost their ways in the bushido, just vandering endlessly trying to fit in. i will look for an asura's name for him, it will fit more to the general theme.

Edited by lightini