Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Improving Melee?

Delta4575

Personally i think the melee mechanics need work. Namely blocking. Which as is, is totally useless.

What i think it should do is.

Deflect 50% of enemy shots,maybe the shots that do get through have a 10% damage reduction. Potential for new mods?

As well as a counter attack for melee enemies.

For example if you block at the right time as a Grineer Sawman is striking. You'll block his attack and if you press E.  You do a high damage strike.

And maybe new types of attacks? Not sure how this would work on a keyboard. Such as a stab attack for bladed weapons?

The animations could also use more variety. Three swings for a longsword does get dull after a while.

Maybe some special finisher animations for the last enemy in a group?

Any other ideas you'd like to add?

I would like to see a better combo system for example melee twice then space quickly could launch an enemy in the air with an uppercut motion, or at least just an increase in weapon animations because the same few animations get a little slow. 

Blocking SHOULD NOT be affected by mods, counter attack... Why isn't in game yet?

Low usefulness and difficulty of balance.

Why block and delay a threat when you can shoot end a threat? With that in mind, cant make it strong enough that you can just hold block and walk around like you own the place. I'm also not sure the difficulty of programming, but I assume it would be enough that they elected to focus their efforts on other projects.

I think the whole melee should get a complete overhaul I want to go melee only, maybe even into hack n slash mode as if I would be playing dmc or something similar, sure not talking about super epic combos, but having a variety of 7-15combos would be good enough

Combos are vastly more complicated programming than a set of basic attacks. There are other, more pressing, issues they want to work on. I'm fairly certain DE will do something more with melee, just not right now.

got a question just because it's complicated does it mean you shouldn't do it at all?

melee combat is probably a core thing of warframe, combat itself the feel is a core thing

I'd be fine without the combo system as long as they rework melee to be a viable option other than disrupting in later levels.  at level 50 it takes 3-4 swings from dual ethers to chop down light infested with gobs of mods attached. 

I think alot of people are being turned off from melee altogether because its just not a good idea in the later half of the game.  even with ash or loki.  I don't even know where to begin, however, to rebalance melee vs guns.  maybe add a new set of skins for arms/body that increase melee damage at the expense of health or energy, while revamping the system?

Should be, but is not. With ammunition falling everywhere and super powerful firearms, why fight hand-to-hand?

yup agree to that it should be honestly, right now I don't use melee anymore it's just a weapon to get faster around or cc in close combat if necessary and grab back my weapon, also limiting ammunition won't help at all, melee isn't attractive at all

I'd be fine without the combo system as long as they rework melee to be a viable option other than disrupting in later levels.  at level 50 it takes 3-4 swings from dual ethers to chop down light infested with gobs of mods attached. 

I think alot of people are being turned off from melee altogether because its just not a good idea in the later half of the game.  even with ash or loki.  I don't even know where to begin, however, to rebalance melee vs guns.  maybe add a new set of skins for arms/body that increase melee damage at the expense of health or energy, while revamping the system?

Yeah, thats why i think it needs a revamped system. It needs to stay useful regardless of level

got a question just because it's complicated does it mean you shouldn't do it at all?

melee combat is probably a core thing of warframe, combat itself the feel is a core thing

No, like I said, I'm fairly certain they will eventually get to it. But for now the current melee system isn't broken and still is a Good tactic in many situations. Right now adding more things that would potentially complicate a stable mechanic that is not in drastic need of a rework is just not on their to do list.

No, like I said, I'm fairly certain they will eventually get to it. But for now the current melee system isn't broken and still is a Good tactic in many situations. Right now adding more things that would potentially complicate a stable mechanic that is not in drastic need of a rework is just not on their to do list.

you're fairly certain they will eventually xD that doesn't match at all, and honestly I won't be so sure about them reworking melee, it could be even worse that they are going to leave melee like that and IMPROVE firearm combat

I'm confused what you're trying to call me out on. I think they will do it, meaning I think they think they should eventually address the E spam that melee is now. Improving one aspect of a game doesn't make another worse, it just makes it outclassed. Which isa different argument.