Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enemy AI improvements & mob design

Irridiae

While Warframe's enemy AI is quite good I'd love to see improvements and more complexity added. Possible additions might include:

Ambush logic
Currently sometimes enemies rush toward control panels to set off alarms. It would be great if enemies would exhibit the same behaviour to lure tenno toward ambushes around blind corners. When an enemy starts running on sighting tenno you'd never know if they were running toward a panel or luring them into a trap. This would also allow for additional possibilities with enemy design, eg. enemies that have limited offensive capability that are good at setting off alarms / luring tenno, enemies with slower movement, higher alpha strike damage output and low fire rates (for use in ambushes), a corpus equivalent to the Regulator's minimap scrambling ability, etc. Ambushes might be tied to the alarm status.

A more extreme version of ambushes that probably wouldn't work within Warframe would be an ambush tied to a Doom-style arena (similar to how Stalker locks down a room on spawning). So an enemy would lure the tenno into an ambush and then the room would lock down until the room was cleared. Again, this would probably break Warframe's pacing in most/all mission types.

Barriers / movement restriction mobs
There's a mob in the game Cloudbuilt that has an interesting mechanic. When the player approaches the mob deploys a circular metal barrier. The mob quickly tracks the player across a very limited area but it effectively completely blocks a path. If you combined this with the enemy having a small hitbox at the centre of the barrier and the pre-deployed visual profile being small you could end up with an interesting mechanic where eagle eyed players would be rewarded for spotting and killing the enemy before getting close enough for the barrier to be deployed (either way, the barrier would be destroyed with the mob). Again, this could be tied to alarm status. See ~8:48 in the video below for an example of the Cloudbuilt mob.

AI director (ala Left 4 Dead)
I might be wrong but it seems that Warframe's mob mechanics rely on fairly simple spawning logic and the each mob type's logic which means the pacing is fairly flat. There might be benefits in implementing an AI director for better pacing. Left 4 Dead's AI director has been widely discussed elsewhere so I won't go into it here, but something similar might be of benefit in certain mission types.

I'm sure there are many other possibilities, but my overall point is that improvements in existing enemy AI could be just as good as adding new enemies to the game.

Archived