Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Charge Damage And Damage 2.0

MKenny

Let me just say that I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

I was hoping someone would be able to explain the mechanics behind melee charge damage according to the new damage and armour system.

Just as an example, is the 400 charge damage of the Galatine divided into similar ratios to its regular hit damage or is it given another damage type completely?

I'm hoping asking this question can start a discussion on the use of certain mods for charged attacks and the consistency of the game UI in displaying damage types.

Charged damage is independent of normal damage on melee weapons. The two have no relation to each other. They even have their own critical chance and multiplier (NOT listed in the game UI currently, unfortunately).

Charge Damage mods work only on charge damage; base damage mods (for melee, Pressure Point) only work on normal damage. Elemental damage mods work on both, however.

Charged damage is independent of normal damage on melee weapons. The two have no relation to each other. They even have their own critical chance and multiplier (NOT listed in the game UI currently, unfortunately).

Charge Damage mods work only on charge damage; base damage mods (for melee, Pressure Point) only work on normal damage. Elemental damage mods work on both, however.

I understand that they are independent of each other. What I am wondering is if charge damage is divided into impact, puncture and slash like normal melee attacks, or if it is still armour ignoring damage or if has a new damage type.

The game UI doesn't do the best job at showing what type of damage charge attacks do.

Putting Sundering Strike on a melee weapon use to be a given even for charged attacks, but it may indeed be useless now if charged attacks don't use puncture damage.

I understand that they are independent of each other. What I am wondering is if charge damage is divided into impact, puncture and slash like normal melee attacks, or if it is still armour ignoring damage or if has a new damage type.

The game UI doesn't do the best job at showing what type of damage charge attacks do.

Putting Sundering Strike on a melee weapon use to be a given even for charged attacks, but it may indeed be useless now if charged attacks don't use puncture damage.

I'm going to be asking this in the forum thread for the next livestream - I encourage you and anyone else interested in this answer to ask as well.  Logic says that yes a portion of the total Charge Damage should be broken down into the 3 base damage types, but who knows until we see numbers or get confirmation.

• 1 month later...

Another thing that bothers me with melee is how charge attacks, normal attacks, and wall/leap/spin attacks are "separate". It seems odd to me that I can mod up an amphis to charge attack as fast as its normal swing, or mod it so that its normal swing is as powerful as it's charge. And the whole no-electric-damage part annoys me too. It's one weapon, why should I have to mod it like its multiple?

So I'm not the only one going through this? thank god this is being brought to light, this tends to confuse so many of my friends who have joined warframe and are new. this makes it hard for them to understand what mods do what.

I really hope this is something they fix in melee 2.0... it's fine to give weapons different attack types, but they should not require different mods to affect damage on the different attacks.  Modding charge speed is fine, but damage, crit, and status should all be linked to the weapon's base types and function off of a single set of mods.