Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Transforming Warframe & Melee Weapon

Sinaqui

EDIT: Overhauling the post:

So the idea is for a warframe that can transform between an offensive mode and a defensive mode, and when it does, its appearance changes, mostly in the form of plates sliding out to cover less protected areas. Here are the abilities I'm thinking of.

Offensive Form:
Ability 1: Transform into Defensive form (0 or 25 energy)

Ability 2: Team Stamina does not decrease for X seconds (25 energy) [also feel this might be too weak even for 25 energy, but maybe melee 2.0 will change that]

Ability 3: A grenade that does both damage and knockback, probably impact detonation (50 energy)

Ability 4: High damage AoE attack w/ knockback and transforms into Defensive form

Defensive Form: More armor and/or shields, less speed and stamina

Ability 1: Transform into Offensive form (0 or 25 energy)

Ability 2: Aura for X seconds that slows nearby enemies

Ability 3: A flashbang that stuns enemies for a short time

Ability 4: Emits a healing field that stays in place for x seconds, restores health & shields over time, and transforms into Offensive form

The weapon that would be released alongside him would be a sword with average attack speed, when you do a heavy melee attack the hilt slides down to the tip and it becomes a warhammer that does slow, heavy attacks. If you use a light melee while it's a warhammer, it goes back to being a sword. There would be a slight pause when it changes between sword and warhammer, so don't switch when you're surrounded.

Edited by Sinaqui

I'm just using the basic formulas here, so please bear with me.

For offense:                                                                                      For Defense:

1. A slashing type attack                                                                  1. A slamming attack that knocks down enemies

==> Pulls out blade and slashes (Bleed)                                       ==> something around Rhino charge (knockdown)

2. A tactical move                                                                             2. Frame version of Coolant Leak

==> releases puncture spikes (Weaken)                                       ==> creates a freezing aura (slow down)

3. A Utility move - Scan                                                                     3. Defensive Buff - gravitational field

==> the scan will visually reveal enemies clearly                            ==> Double the shields for duration, or

==> when you scan, candidates show up                                       ==> opposite of bullet attractor, bullet repel?

regardless of cover or wall blockage

==> reveal weak spots like sonar                                                                               

4. Ultimate that damages a lot                                                           4. Stasis ==> Snow Globe, only that everything is frozen completely

==> Berserker Barrage, or                                            ==> no one caught inside can move, including player

==> Weapon X                                                                               ==> no one can get in or out

==> when released, proc incurred stays

EDIT: Oops! Forgot that the 4th one needs to be the "switch" you can disregard that.

Edited by ErudiusNacht

Hmm, to be honest, I had expected it to have mostly non-elemental abilities, but with the addition of Damage 2.0 there's actually a good list of elements to choose from.

I'm just using the basic formulas here, so please bear with me.

For offense:                                                                                      For Defense:

1. A slashing type attack                                                                  1. A slamming attack that knocks down enemies

==> Pulls out blade and slashes (Bleed)                                       ==> something around Rhino charge (knockdown)

2. A tactical move                                                                             2. Frame version of Coolant Leak

==> releases puncture spikes (Weaken)                                       ==> creates a freezing aura (slow down)

3. A Utility move - Scan                                                                     3. Defensive Buff - gravitational field

==> the scan will visually reveal enemies clearly                            ==> Double the shields for duration, or

==> when you scan, candidates show up                                       ==> opposite of bullet attractor, bullet repel?

regardless of cover or wall blockage

==> reveal weak spots like sonar                                                                               

4. Ultimate that damages a lot                                                           4. Stasis ==> Snow Globe, only that everything is frozen completely

==> Berserker Barrage, or                                            ==> no one caught inside can move, including player

==> Weapon X                                                                               ==> no one can get in or out

==> when released, proc incurred stays

EDIT: Oops! Forgot that the 4th one needs to be the "switch" you can disregard that.

For your offensive #2 I'd really say that would fit more on the defensive tree. Dropping caltrops perhaps, that damage enemies while they're passing over them and also slow them down?

Also your offensive #3 is kind of a support-style move, so that doesn't quite fit the offense mindset. But what if it were to ram a single target with a powerful spike attack, and the spike has the secondary effect of that scan you mentioned? The attack could also pin an enemy to a wall like the bolt-caster weapons?

Name suggestion Janus, for the Greek God with two faces.

Also for the mod cards, maybe have it split diaganoly with costs and explanation in opposite corners and then the ability ti rotate the "modal change" card so it flips the active skill of the dual cards. This way the active skills will be on top and you can set how you want to spawn in a level, def/atk mode.

Just some suggestions but I do like the concept. Reminds me of Magic the Gathering when you could evolve and flip cards into a 2nd form.

Name suggestion Janus, for the Greek God with two faces.

Also for the mod cards, maybe have it split diaganoly with costs and explanation in opposite corners and then the ability ti rotate the "modal change" card so it flips the active skill of the dual cards. This way the active skills will be on top and you can set how you want to spawn in a level, def/atk mode.

Just some suggestions but I do like the concept. Reminds me of Magic the Gathering when you could evolve and flip cards into a 2nd form.

If there were a way to "flip" the Modal Switch mod card, that would definitely be a great way to pick what you start levels as, I like that idea.

If there were a way to "flip" the Modal Switch mod card, that would definitely be a great way to pick what you start levels as, I like that idea.

Thanks, it would probably be a New UI mechanic they would have to develop, and who knows maybe they can make other dual mod cards for use with the original nontransforming warframe. Rare mods with two effects that you can set which is the current active on loadout on weapons/sentinels

Thanks, it would probably be a New UI mechanic they would have to develop, and who knows maybe they can make other dual mod cards for use with the original nontransforming warframe. Rare mods with two effects that you can set which is the current active on loadout on weapons/sentinels

I don't think it would make much sense outside of a warframe that switched modes, so unless they added other frames that have a switch ability as well, it'd be simpler for most mods to just be multiple mods.

I don't think it would make much sense outside of a warframe that switched modes, so unless they added other frames that have a switch ability as well, it'd be simpler for most mods to just be multiple mods.

Yeah youre right, it would keep things simpler if its only on transforming things in warframe, like that melee weapon you suggested. They could make a dual mode sentinel to go along with this dual mode warframe. But ill refrain now from using the word transform, i think the Modal Shift you said is good for this mechanic. So Modal Shifting, would this just be for only def/atk mode or can it apply to role in game like tank mode / healer or even element type?

Yeah youre right, it would keep things simpler if its only on transforming things in warframe, like that melee weapon you suggested. They could make a dual mode sentinel to go along with this dual mode warframe. But ill refrain now from using the word transform, i think the Modal Shift you said is good for this mechanic. So Modal Shifting, would this just be for only def/atk mode or can it apply to role in game like tank mode / healer or even element type?

Whether or not it were used on more than one frame is up to the devs, same as whether to use the idea at all. If too many frames had the ability, it might end up being a case of there being a lot of frames that just don't have the power to keep up with the others because they'd all be lacking an ult.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...