Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gametype Concept : Tenno Recovery

Azure_Kytia

I had this idea in another thread, but I thought I would repost it in it's own individual thread, as it is a separate idea, with it's own properties.

So yeah. Essentially, I propose a gametype that focuses on co-operative movement and tactics to progress through the level. One major setting/scenario I thought of to support this gametype was recovering a number of Tenno Cryopods that have not been captured by Grineer, Corpus or Infested. It would be awesome to be able to go on four player expeditions to lost grounds and hidden corners of the Solar System (Maybe a little ways outside, who knows). to recover dormant Tenno from within highly-safeguarded Orokin Safety Deposit Boxes.

These Orokin Remnants may be all but abandoned by their original creators, however there are still surviving Tenno who rest deep within it's walls. It is up to the awakened Tenno to delve deep into their history, and retrieve their brethren before they are captured by other enemy factions and killed for the purposes of their own technological advancement.

These Orokin remnants would house a large amount of Orokin powered equipment; equipment that only reacts when in contact with a powered Warframe wielded by the Tenno. This equipment could be used to open one-way doors, power platforms of light/energy for the other Tenno in the group to ascend, as well as to power defensive equipment such as general-use Volt Shields in localised areas.

This gametype and it's accompanying tileset would have an eerie, desolate feel to it; We are Tenno Jones, exploring hidden tombs and ruins for treasure (Or in our case, our sleeping Tenno comrades). Although a lot of this gametype would be puzzle/exploration based, it is quite possible that the other factions discover these remnants of the Orokin people and seek to break their way into the resting chamber by force. There may be times where you have to stand your ground beside an Orokin Activator(Self-coined term, an artifact within the remnants that power Orokin equipment as WarFrames stand nearby) as the other three Tenno clambour up an energy platform to activate another switch that powers the Energy Platforms long enough for the last Tenno to climb up, cutting off the other faction.

The tiles would generally be large, designed with avoiding Loki's decoy > switch teleport exploit in mind. Although there will be parts where that technique will be useful, the puzzle tiles should be large enough that this isn't a viable option for the whole puzzle. Tiles around the size of the Asteroid Base's "moving railcart" tile would be a good place to start. They would be spacious, with few crevasses and a large drop down below, in most places. Exits (Moving closer to the Cryopod) would generally be higher than the entrances to tiles (Where you come from), partially discouraging the use of Wall-run to get around puzzles, however there would be co-operative puzzles with wallrunning in mind.

These gametypes would be soloable in a sense; Orokin Activators would work differently in Solo where they build up "charge" whilst your WarFrame stands near, then the Tenno can climb up to the exit of the tile before the Orokin Activator runs out of power.

Well, that's all for this wall of text for the time being; any interested can see the posts from the other thread that brought this concept to my mind.

TL;DR version: New gametype possibility, recovering Tenno from Orokin Ruins before the other factions get hold of them, with an emphasis on co-operative play.

I would like to be able to (in further tilesets) go on expeditions to the far corners of the Sol system, to find a Cryopod which we then absorb (similar to Capture Missions), then make an escape. In other words, something longer than your average Defense and mobile Defense missions.

But you basically describe missions we already have with just minor tweaks ._. That's why I'm confused cause it's not really suggesting anything new.

@Liacu, I agree, with my description above it most certainly would be the same as any other Capture mission. That being said, there's also extremely little difference between a Raid and a Corpus Sabotage mission, at present, either.

Now consider this: The Tenno would not leave their Cryostations in undefended/unprotected places. They would have defense mechanisms in place that mostly prevent their kind from falling prey to the Grineer. What if, for these recovery missions, there were a lot more puzzles and operations that require co-operative work? For example, there may be a large cavern with only one way up -- and down. There are Orokin Energy platforms that appear when there is an active WarFrame within a vicinity of it's activator; and moving away from these activators disables these platforms.

Certain platforms would appear for different Activators, although at maximum two would have to be used before at least ONE Tenno can reach the end of the area. There is another activator at the other side that the leading Tenno would stand by, activating all platforms, allowing the other Tenno to traverse the cavern.

There may be enemy forces that have already gotten this far through more brute-force means, however the Tenno would be the only ones who can gain access to the Cryopod without a whole ton of firepower.

A much better and more clear suggestion =V An Assassin's Creed esque tomb sounds like a lot of fun. I was thinking that such heavy puzzle elements don't suit an action game but considering the amount of missions types there are, I think a good way to differentiate the many missions types would be through playstyles. So what you suggested could be a Raid mission which has a heavy emphasis on platforming and traps. Since these stages will probably have less enemies or even no enemies, there must be something to compensate for the experience lost.

Although such focused game design would feel a bit inefficient since what we have now are tilesets that are used by all missions instead of very specific maps for specific missions. The idea should be tweaked to fit more smoothly into the framework we have now. Like for example, raids could use the same maps but introduce more types of traps and in more numerous amounts much like how Corpus cameras, sentries and laser grids are. Maybe even using laser grids creatively by placing them outside of doors to force platforming. Although you'll need to tweak a few things to prevent people just using powers and bypassing everything.

This can further be changed to fit with your activator idea by being able to turn on and off laser grids with possible restrictions to encourage teamwork.

Yes, I agree. Although if these tiles were large enough it could at least prevent the ol' Loki Decoy > Switch Teleport ploy (Something like the Asteroid Railcart tile's size). We already kinda do have gametype-specific tiles (Mobile Defense; the computer rooms and the Cryopod area is specific only to this gametype) so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch if such a place were gametype specific. That being said, I think these kinds of rooms would find use in all aspects of the game, however I might suggest only implementing them when there are more than one person in the room. That is, if there is a group, then these tilesets could appear. If for some unfortunate reason a Tenno were to be alone in such a room, they could stand by an activator to charge it up whilst defending it from the attacking faction/s.

Actually you're right, there are mission specific rooms. I completely forgot. That also reminds me that the newer Grineer Asteroid maps have a lot more platforming elements. Many of them are optional but lead to secret rooms and additional treasure so I suppose the devs are already messing around with this sort of concept. Hmm if these maps are going to be included in all mission types, perhaps make them optional so that you don't annoy people who just want the action but still reward those who like puzzles.

And I just realized you're a completely different person from the guy who created this and we basically hijacked this thread >_>

Edited by Azure_Kyte

Hm... After reading my mind went to Mass Effect 1 (2nd last mission) where the entire civilization was put in Cryopads and most of em died though ! And you go to find somebody alive ..stuff like that !

This gametype, an advanced version of this could be like game changing, a weekly alert. Upto 20 players in one HUGE map, going against a heavy army of (corpus / Grineer / Infested). Finding and recovering the lost Tenno, failing to do this will result in another twist where the enemy captured tenno will appear as Random Boss in missions during the coming week, giving players a very hard time completing the mission !

Then we can have another alert where you are going to capture the TENNO BOSS and covert to your kinda !

After all i like your idea :)

I'm not sure about increasing the number of players, as that would mean large-scale changes to the netcode, which could potentially cause issues. I don't think it would work quite like that; more like the Tenno that we defend against <faction> in the Corpus Ship and Asteroid Base are these Tenno that have already been captured by said faction.

The Tenno don't just change sides; they are killed in the pursuits of the other faction's own technological advancement. The Corpus idolize the Orokin, and do anything to get their hands on Orokin Technology. The grineer despise the Tenno, presumably for their ties to the Orokin, which apparently created and/or released the Technocyte plague, directly spawning the Infested. This was apparently done to defend against another race or Faction known as the Sentients.

For this reason, I think it is imperative that the Lotus assign us duties in regards to exploring Orokin ruins for the sake of protecting those of our own who cannot currently protect themselve.

This is an awesome idea for a gametype. I'd really like to see something that involves more of the acrobatic skills in warframe, like obstacles and such you have to get around. I'd like to see everything in this post in game.

The devs have hinted that they plan to get around to exploring more about the orokin civilization in the future. Maybe this could be part of it. Or at least a subset of the eventual Orokin tileset. An puzzle/obstacle tileset would work well with how the game generates levels by linking random rooms together.

Basically I think this idea would be amazing both story and gameplay wise. I hope this or something similar shows up in game eventually.

• 1 month later...