Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Ranks

ShupFace

I've noticed people getting upset about weapon balance and even calling for nerfs of weapons (in a co-op game of all places) and I'd like to recommend you take advantage of a system you already have in place but which I personally feel is currently under-utilised:

Mastery Rank!

As it stands the mastery rank requirements for weapons are all over the shop. Exhibit A: Soma. The quality and effectiveness of weapons should increase in line with its mastery rank requirement (and vice versa). A more accurate requirement system should help players to feel less confused about why some weapons are clearly superior to others. It should also have the added benefit of encouraging people to play through the content (levels, weapons, frames etc) to unlock better weapons and frames at higher mastery ranks.

Disclaimer: I know I'm not the first person to suggest this, but I thought it was worth repeating.

No. So much no I can't even begin to type it all.

1) If higher mastery = better weapons then the game has automatic power creep, because we're only at rank 14/30 so far. People will want better weapons at every step.

2) New players need to understand the Mod, Catalyst and Forma mechanics. If you put eight maxed out mods on a gun it's good. It doesn't matter if it's a Braton or a Flux rifle it does just fine at the highest content with eight maxed out mods that are appropriate for the target. THAT is what new players need to hear. Not ZOMG THIS ONE THING IS SO AMAAAZZZZIIIING.

2 probably could have been two points, and I could probably take this list to ten, but there's just so much NOPE here it makes my head hurt. The mastery system is the first time I can think of that an action+RPG elements game actually improved it's replay value instead of walking off the cliff that is a WoW style gear progression like a freaking lemming.

Edited by VKhaun

I think mastery rank should give a point to spend on the tenno himself - not the warframe but on the tenno. For example - some autoevasion, or faster reload or lowered stamina cost or a little + to accuracy for mastered weapons - all those things that depend not on the body muscles and armor but on the quality of movements achieved by endless repetitions. Such skill tree would be helpfull and rewarding and wont be too OP for this system to ruin the game. 

No. So much no I can't even begin to type it all.

1) If higher mastery = better weapons then the game is an rpg, because we're only at rank 14/30 so far. People will want better weapons at every step. Like one day they'll want Hek, then Braton Vandal next, then Despair, then Acrid.

2) New players need to understand the Mod, Catalyst and Forma mechanics. If you put eight maxed out mods on a gun it's good even though the gun may be doing 1/4 the dps of a real weapon. It doesn't matter if it's a Braton or a Flux rifle it does just fine at the highest content with eight maxed out mods that are appropriate for the target except for some weapons, like the Spectra. THAT is what new players need to hear. Not ZOMG THIS ONE THING IS SO AMAAAZZZZIIIING.

2 probably could have been two points, and I could probably take this list to ten, but there's just so much NOPE here it makes my head hurt. The mastery system is the first time I can think of that an action+RPG elements game actually improved it's replay value instead of walking off the cliff that is a WoW style gear progression like a freaking lemming, because we all know what a complete and utter failure WoW was.

Fixed your post for ya.