Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Imho: Kinky Torid And A Twist On Gas Damage, Make Suggestions

TheAnnoyingGunner

Yeah, another "how I would make this game" thread.

I have played quite some time my Torid, it got 5 formas and it just devastates the infested. But everything else? Bwahaha, good joke. At least if the whole armada isn't standing in one place, which happens not all that often.

So I have read some suggestions how to make the Torid make worth your while, but somehow -> I <- was not satisfied with them. And while I was mind-numbingly tearing down those hordes of infested during the current mass of 20k credits survival and defense outbreaks on Uranus, I gave some thoughts into how to make the Torid more useful against other factions but only the infested, without overpowering it against these. And I had some wonderful ideas how to make the Torid unique among the arsenal of Warframe.

These following ideas are initial thoughts, not concerning the whole variety of weaponry and other circumstances, so I ask you to read them, think about it and make suggestions where the weak points are and how to correct them.

First: The Torid.

How it is now: You shoot a quite precise projectile that does immense damage on hit, then creates a small poisonous cloud on impact that wanderes with the target you have hit, if it does survive (mostly not, beaten to death by a brick). The cloud ticks quite slow, so the enemies will often walk through that fart without taking damage, even if they have to pass many clouds. The damage radius of the cloud is even smaller than the cloud itself, which makes it utterly useless against most enemies because they have to step right onto the projectile. Proc chance is 10%, which is only useful with gas damage.

The only faction you should use this thing against is the infested, as they are quite susceptible against gas (put in a fire mod and party hard) and if gas damage procs, it will deal the gas damage in a radius around it to all enemies and poison them (not worth mentioning for infested), while the radius is about 10 times larger than the gas cloud itself (think about it!). So it has to only proc on one poor bastard to kill them all, canceling the poor radius of that gas cloud.

But what is the sense behind a Ballista that kills everything on hit, but does not excel on it's initial purpose? I could as well get a Vectis with metal auger, that does the job the same way and kills everything behind that one target too. 

So first part of this posting, how the Torid should work:

- Greater gas cloud, like the radius of gas proc

- Slightly faster damage rate

- Slightly reduced proc chance to counter the damage rate

- Double to triple time the cloud exists

- Reduced rate of fire

- Cloud damage is stacking

- Strongly reduced projectile damage

- Reduced gas cloud damage

- Deal gas damage instead of toxic damage

Every suggestions except the last one suddenly transforms the "slug thrower" to a "gas dispenser", that is good for DoT, but not useful to one-hit everything. You pack it onto one enemy and it will slowly kill him and his friends that stay around him. Or you could just smoke the area with a few grenades, so your teammates can more easily take those nasties out.

You may wonder how that big gas cloud can come out of this tiny projectile? Well, how does one little life support unit push up the whole atmosphere of let's say Phobos or your random icy planet? Not of interest.

The last two suggestions are part of my suggestion how to deal with gas damage, that, in it's current state, is for some reason only partially useful against infested and nothing else (Grineer and Corpus do have lungs, don't they?).

Gas is versatile, there are corrosive gases, toxic gases, explosive gases, plasma etc, so why focus on "gas damage"? It would give the whole weapon customization a nice twist if gas was a carrier for other elemental damage types, so they don't only deal damage on the target hit, but in a small radius around them equally on each target (or decreasing to the distance). This and the current elemental combinations in mind, you could use gas to deliver disruptor clouds of electricity, draining all shields inside, electromagnetic clouds that can proc magnetism, and of course cryo clouds that would slow every foe inside for some simple crowd control. And as it stands, the Torid then would be the only weapon that can deal every elemental damage in a gas cloud, making it the support weapon of choice with radiating clouds that confuse the enemies, biohazard clouds that weaken the enemies HP, explosive clouds for superior crowd control and fire clouds for pure damage. Oh and those toxic clouds of course, that deliver DoT against humanoid enemies.

To make it short:

- Gas damage removed from the elemental damage types, makes no damage on it's own

- If gas procs, it deals additional elemental damage types of that weapon in a small area around the impact

Of course, the implementations of the least affects the changes that have to be done to the Torid.

Another interesting thing one has written in this forum is the possibility to let elemental damage types stack and combine on enemies, so if one player is dealing cold damage on that one poor guy, and another player is dealing toxin damage on him at the same time, it would work as viral damage for him. Either that one procs or if two different damage type procs effect him the same time, they would work as combined damage. This would force team work and coordinated loadouts for the hopefully one day implemented end-game aside of endless survival and defense missions. Also it would grant combined effects inside a Torid gas cloud.

Now, please your concerns and suggestions.