The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gpu Utilization At Galaxy Menu

silentgreyfox

Funny enough, this is a big problem with a lot of different games. For some reason, the GPU gets a line of code that says the less work that needs to be done, the more power it should use. Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Saints Row 3...almost every game I played last year and into this one has had the same problem, where heavy action would result in low GPU usage, and looking at simple things like the sky, a wall, or a map, would suddenly require full GPU speed and a 90% load.

I think it's something that NVidia needs to address in their drivers. If you think it's bad on the 580, it's even worse on the 6xx and Titan.

Tracked the issue down to the framerate. There is no natural limit built into the menus. If you have vsync disabled, it will pump out as many frames as it can handle (in my case, around 400-500fps). I've never been able to use Vsync, as the mouse input lag that results from the differences in the polling rate is far too noticible for me. There are no options in game to hard cap the fps, so I resorted to using a 3rd party program to limit it to 60fps. This solved the heat issues for me.

Tracked the issue down to the framerate. There is no natural limit built into the menus. If you have vsync disabled, it will pump out as many frames as it can handle (in my case, around 400-500fps). I've never been able to use Vsync, as the mouse input lag that results from the differences in the polling rate is far too noticible for me. There are no options in game to hard cap the fps, so I resorted to using a 3rd party program to limit it to 60fps. This solved the heat issues for me.

+1 thanks a lot man, saved my card from over heating!