The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pc And Console

Cemges

Now this is not about systems wars, just some opinions to be discussed.

Now we all know each has their own advantages, I want to talk about what should be my further preference, I am just asking for help. Now advantages for someone who loves games (core gamer I guess). Since I am a laptop user and will always remain so, I will list all its perks for me

Pc's have an open software and is not solely a game machine, it is basicly all your computation needs in a package.

It has steam, which helps deliver cheaper games over internet. Also it is a huge community.

It has full backwards compability + best emulation.

Basicly all usb based stuff can be plugged :)

It is basicly portable, though you still need to plug it to play

You can use both mouse and controller if you want, which is good.

The laptop I will be able to prefer in future will likely have enough power to rival xbone in specs, so I dont take stronger as a basis for my argument.

Unlike the current (8th is not next gen, it is the current gen atm.) generation consoles,

Has a wide range of games availible, lots of them for free.

Media playback for pc is much better this gen.

Now consoles, they have some neat seller features.

Exclusive AAA games, because gaming is about games, though I dont follow any of them, halo, uncharted, never played em. Though i will try to.

Their controller basically rock. Both of em. Direct input jack, you cant have that on pc. Touchpad and other buttons of these controllers dont work on pc as well.

Destiny, 'nuff said. Halo + borderlands + mmo, how can you not hype?

Full optimisation, consoles will play games smoothly until their last day

Price performance is ultimate on consoles. You cant even get close to ps4 on that regard. Not even close, not even strambox, nope.

But still, I want a laptop regardless, I need it. So it'll either be a gaming laptop, or a cheaper laptop+ ps4, so what should I prefer for my future gaming?

Unlike the general consensus, laptop is the most common gaming device for core gamers, and it carries more realistic specs compared to a hardcore gaming pc. I am just thinking if thats the way I'll continue though, because ps4 has killer features.

Remember kids, Console, PC, everyone mocks laptop users.

The price of a PC (or twice that) with the mod-ability of a console.

If youre going for a laptop, just go cheap and then either buy a console or purchase PC parts and build a gaming PC. The Console and home built PC generally run for similar costs at similar specs (varying on the parts' ages and purchase location). Since you focus on the AAA games, go with a console.

Edited by AscendantWyvern

I have an argument though. If you dont currently own speakers, mouse keyboard and especiall hd tv/ monitor, laptop prices are fair. I still cant be sure though, since if I go to an university far away, its predicededly gaming laptop. Otherwise, I can prefer a console. Bu then again a problem I have still is thaf I still love pc games too. Cant decide which way to go... could i give up on steam?

Now consoles, they have some neat seller features.

Exclusive AAA games, because gaming is about games, though I dont follow any of them, halo, uncharted, never played em. Though i will try to.

Their controller basically rock. Both of em. Direct input jack, you cant have that on pc. Touchpad and other buttons of these controllers dont work on pc as well.

Destiny, 'nuff said. Halo + borderlands + mmo, how can you not hype?

Full optimisation, consoles will play games smoothly until their last day

Price performance is ultimate on consoles. You cant even get close to ps4 on that regard. Not even close, not even strambox, nope.

But still, I want a laptop regardless, I need it. So it'll either be a gaming laptop, or a cheaper laptop+ ps4, so what should I prefer for my future gaming?

Games aren't that exclusive anymore and there are entire genres that cant be played on console (MOBA, RTS, MMORPG).

Keyboard and mouse is far superior and most games have the option of using a controller if your heart so desires for PC. Think about how much variability you have with your thumb on a controller, like an inch? Whereas a mouse you have anywhere from 6 inches to 12+ to move your mouse and many have variable DPI settings and multiple buttons (mine has 16 + wheel). Plus a keyboard has many more buttons that can be accessed while keeping your hand on the standard WASD controls.

Borderlands is on every platform (Except wii lol). Destiny isn't even out yet so you have no idea if it's good or not. The first couple Halos were alright but the series is pretty garbage now (entirely subjective opinion but I think many share this viewpoint).

Consoles don't play games smoothly, they are just computers designed to be affordable to the masses and already many games struggle to run at 60fps full 1080p. Whether this is poor code optimization or hardware I'm not sure but if they are already struggling to run at 60, that's not good. Remember you get what you pay for.

There is no backwards compatibility on the current gen (I think correct me if I'm wrong) Whereas with proper settings/emulation pc games back to DOS days will run and any console game from the gamecube/xbox/ps2 generation and before can be played with emulators.

So basically the only pro is it's easier and cheaper to use/operate. Also I'm not sure if you have to pay for online subscription but if you do then it probably will end up being more expensive in the long run. Oh yeah I almost forgot that games are much cheaper on PC. Steam/origin sales come often and I've picked up AAA games soon after release for half off or more. There's also a website called Humblebundle.com that offers a pack of games for around 5 dollars (you can pay whatever you want and choose how much goes to charity etc.) One pack I got dead space 1,2, 3, sims 3, battlefield 3, crysis 2, and a couple other games for 5 bucks.

So unless I'm mussing anything I can't find any pros other than consoles are easier and arguable cheaper.

Oh and your question, you should get a laptop unless all your friends play ps4 and you will be sad without them. Also bear in mind laptops are roughly twice the price of a desktop to get the same performance and are much more liable to break and difficult/cost inefficient to repair.

Edited by BACON4BREAKFAST

So basically it all comes down to pc master race. I don't have an option not to buy a laptop, daily university life basicly forces you to have one. And while it is possible to buy cheap laptop and console, buying cheap laptop + building game pc with extras will cost way more than a strong laptop. I will likely be buying something with nvdiai gtx765, ot maxwell equivalent of that, so I think that'll deliver close performance to xbone in gpu ( around 1.25 tflops with 768 shaders with 128 bit memory adress and 2gb gddr5) and basicly superior with i7 quad core processor (they go up to 3.5 on game laptops nowadays) in cpu side although with a slower 1600 mhz at least 8gb, expendable ram.

If I were you, I'll pick a gaming laptop(since you're not considering a desktop), because:

Game modding capabilities.

However if the games that you're interested in do not support modding, then console. Not because consoles are superior, but because you've stated that you need the laptop for university life. Running your laptop for both work and game may shorten it's life. I'm sure you don't want to risk your university work.

But if you have godlike backup abilities then I suggest that you go back to the gaming laptop, because tpb, mouse, and portability.

Edited by Cosmeo