The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Effects on the environment

Utah

No, this is not a PSA about the dangers high powered Tenno weapons have on the local animal and fauna but instead an observation on weapon effects and what could be done to make them better art wise.

One thing I noticed was missing from this game was bullet effects/melee attack effects on set pieces. Bullet holes on set pieces would be a nice touch, since they are energy weapons a smoldering hole of red hot metal would be appropriate, maybe even a little smoke. I also think you could do a similar thing with melee weapons, I think they would be more satisfying to use if you got an effect if you knocked against a set piece, maybe a small fountain of sparks from the metal grinding.

I'm sure there are other weapons/abilities that could use some effects like the ones I suggest above but since my experience is limited with a only a few guns and 1 war frame I can't comment.

Very cool idea! I think it would lend a lot to the immersion factor this game somewhat lacks at the moment. I agree that something like this should be implemented, but maybe it should be put on the backburner for a while until DE finishes working out the game mechanics.

I think the reason decals / enviromental damage isn't in at the momment - is for optimisations sake. I'm not a dev, but there is a hell of a lot going on graphically in a typical Warframe map. Think about all that bloom, radial blur, ray tracing, shadow mapping, DOF - and then all those detailed enemy and character models that keep spawning in, dying, and dissolving into particle effects. Honestly I am utterly gobsmacked at the smoothness and the stability that this pre-release engine is already showcasing, but I have a shrewd suspicion that decals have been left out intentionally - to ensure that smoothness.

Now we'll have to wait and see whether the mods confirm or deny this - but that's my guess. And to be honest - if they omit decals so we have a few extra FPS I am right behind them.

Edited by 11.11.11