The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mabinogi

mesmerrow

Though I hate calling myself as an anime fan, I find this game quite agreeably nice.

Since being a semi-turn based MMORPG, I feel some true casual-ness in the game... well, since I just read about game last night after seeing how it defends from Warframe quite well unlike other games. The Age system is actually unique compared to most MMORPG's, I mean unlike Elder Scrolls: Online where your character remains immortal forever after 5 years of gaming... bleh.

Despite that many MMO's will die off slowly, I see the game would last for 15+ years, and I'm sure Warframe will also last about 15 years or ever more than that.

But that's just Protonus discussing positively about both Warframe and Mabinogi. :3

Warframe is truly a unique game that offers almost never seen game play and unique systems and a interesting story.

And lets not talk about the design and graphics...cause they are...beyond amazing.

I didn't like mabinogi because it reminded me of Second Life.

...Second Life with combat and not as much rp.

Second life second life...ahh that game...if you can call it a game, now that's a new one :D

comparing second life to mabinogi ?....i mean...if you think so....then alright np.

Hm... I can see the pay to win in Vindictus but again I stress that it is not necessary; I have known many people who have discovered ways to efficiently farm the money it takes to reach endgame level in a reasonable amount of time.  Also, perhaps you were simply unlucky, but the only kicks I ever faced happened at the absolute highest levels; most were fine at anything lower.  Though I can agree though that unless you know somebody, the population in that game has been rendered so low that finding the help you need is hard; this as a result of the devs catering exclusively to the endgame community for over 3 years, and not merely because of pay to win.

And again, I suggest that you get into a game before you start speaking about it, I can assure that if played well (aka using outside references instead of going rambo on your own) Dragons Nest allows players to get strong without money contributions.  This I can supplant with experience playing with a level 52 Sniper before the recent level cap increase of a month ago.

Haha, I must agree though to the game throwing the games to the ground, Dragons Nest was recently saved by a series of huge updates as of the last year whereas Vindictus is on the miraculous verge of death.  Though again as a longtime Vindictus player, these were caused by much more than pay to win.  Persistent, year-lasting game crashing bugs, RNG dominance, a complete dev focus on the endgame, and an extremely shallow system are just to name a few.

I don't mind farming. I don't mind RNG. That is pretty much what gives some livespan to the games, but when both are combined to give a incredible tiny chance of success over a massive chance of breaking your equipment unless you pay for every single upgrade, then that's a problem. The only +9 I managed to get, broken. Never got anything over +7 ever again without breaking. The problem is just not the money, although I admit I sucked when it came to earn money and I was slow at getting to the point of being able to try again... I actually still suck at it.

Also, I am speaking of ancient times. I am no new player in neither Vindictus nor Dragon Nest. I have been there for over 2 years, perhaps 3, although inactive lately. My characters there are not low either. Or at least there were not by the time I left. A 6x Fiora in Vindictus and a 2x archer (acrobat I believe it was) on DN. I do not know if lvl caps were increased (last i knew it was 24 -> 36 for DN and 70 -> 80 for Vindictus), but it was high back then. So I think I got into the games enough to speak about them.

As for the unlucky part. I can hardly argue with that. My guild in Vindictus happily took me everywhere, since even I had bad equipment I could cause enough ruckus to help in some way and they knew it, but the guild was small and after a while it disappeared. When going to find people at random I never, not a single time could get into anything without a kick on my butt. Never saw a raid or hero match outside of solo or with the guild.

As for DN I said I could hardly say if it was P2W or not, since I got to almost max lvl (it was 24 back then) without not really needing anything. I never really required anything, but once the person I used to play with left, I left as well. Then they increased the cap to 36 and I never knew more of the game other than a couple of times. I just said that I would hardly believe it was not P2W since it was handled by Nexon.

Hell, even Atlantica is a problem. I used to play this one as well, but for some reason no one ever mentions this game.

Again, the games are just fine, the problem is how they are handled.

Note: I am ignoring the bug part because if I go there, I could get really happy trigger on it. More problems on that area than words on a dictionary. Like taking forever (a few months) to partially fix a small bug, the massive lag during dialogs, etc.

I don't mind farming. I don't mind RNG. That is pretty much what gives some livespan to the games, but when both are combined to give a incredible tiny chance of success over a massive chance of breaking your equipment unless you pay for every single upgrade, then that's a problem. The only +9 I managed to get, broken. Never got anything over +7 ever again without breaking. The problem is just not the money, although I admit I sucked when it came to earn money and I was slow at getting to the point of being able to try again... I actually still suck at it.

Also, I am speaking of ancient times. I am no new player in neither Vindictus nor Dragon Nest. I have been there for over 2 years, perhaps 3, although inactive lately. My characters there are not low either. Or at least there were not by the time I left. A 6x Fiora in Vindictus and a 2x archer (acrobat I believe it was) on DN. I do not know if lvl caps were increased (last i knew it was 24 -> 36 for DN and 70 -> 80 for Vindictus), but it was high back then. So I think I got into the games enough to speak about them.

As for the unlucky part. I can hardly argue with that. My guild in Vindictus happily took me everywhere, since even I had bad equipment I could cause enough ruckus to help in some way and they knew it, but the guild was small and after a while it disappeared. When going to find people at random I never, not a single time could get into anything without a kick on my butt. Never saw a raid or hero match outside of solo or with the guild.

As for DN I said I could hardly say if it was P2W or not, since I got to almost max lvl (it was 24 back then) without not really needing anything. I never really required anything, but once the person I used to play with left, I left as well. Then they increased the cap to 36 and I never knew more of the game other than a couple of times. I just said that I would hardly believe it was not P2W since it was handled by Nexon.

Hell, even Atlantica is a problem. I used to play this one as well, but for some reason no one ever mentions this game.

Again, the games are just fine, the problem is how they are handled.

Note: I am ignoring the bug part because if I go there, I could get really happy trigger on it. More problems on that area than words on a dictionary. Like taking forever (a few months) to partially fix a small bug, the massive lag during dialogs, etc.

You answered your own questions :D that's funny in a kind way, but seriously go try out mabinogi if you want, after all the community you mention in vindictus and dragon nest being inactive or quitting is the opposite in mabinogi, even tho someone might look like he has quit or not shown up in weeks or months there is a good chance that person is just taking a break after many months of hardcore mabinogi gaming.

So the only game out of the once you mentioned you have aced and fully understood was Vindictus, and now you are using it to judge every Nexon game out there, being it a current, brought or newly released ? i understand your frustration with Nexon but as i stated before, i have been playing mabinogi in 5+ years.

I have played 3 of Nexon's games as far as I remember.

I am using that to judge Nexon's ability to handle their games.

I am in no way using that to judge all of their games, just the company itself. Also it seems that you either did not really read my post or just did not quite understand it. I said I have interest on the games, but just the fact it is Nexon is what turns me down.

If all of Nexon's games follow what I have seen on those 3 games (Vindictus, DN and Atlantica). The player will face either a pay wall to progress or a P2W wall. Which is quite sad since the games seem really promising. And this is what probably has made most player to not even try or to leave the games.

Incredible late edit: Changed some wording I am not proud of. Sounded incredibly harsh even though it was not really my intention.

Edited by HellEnforcer

You answered your own questions :D that's funny in a kind way, but seriously go try out mabinogi if you want, after all the community you mention in vindictus and dragon nest being inactive or quitting is the opposite in mabinogi, even tho someone might look like he has quit or not shown up in weeks or months there is a good chance that person is just taking a break after many months of hardcore mabinogi gaming.

I might give a try to Mabinogi. It is their only other game I have heard a lot of and have not tried yet. I am still skeptical for being on Nexon's grip, so  I really don't have very high hopes on it.

I was interested on it since I started playing Vindictus and read somewhere it was some sort of a prequel to Mabinogi. There was a time where I actually confused both games to be the same since I knew Vindictus first for its asian name of Mabinogi Heroes.

I have played 3 of Nexon's games as far as I remember.

I am using that to judge Nexon's pathetic ability to handle their games.

I am in no way using that to judge all of their games, just the company itself. Also it seems that you either did not really read my post or just did not quite understand it. I said I have interest on the games, but just the fact it is Nexon is what turns me down.

If all of Nexon's games follow what I have seen on those 3 games (Vindictus, DN and Atlantica). The player will face either a pay wall to progress or a P2W wall. Which is quite sad since the games seem really promising. And this is what probably has made most player to not even try or to leave the games.

Sorry if i miss-read something, well as i stated before, i have been playing mabinogi for about 5 years, and i have yet to see any pay to win system or items, you cannot buy a single sword nor armor from the cash shop. there is the eweca orb gacapon that grants you a single piece of random cloth or a weapon, but its always low level and after about 1 month of game-play you have by then far surpassed what the gachapon has to offer.

I might give a try to Mabinogi. It is their only other game I have heard a lot of and have not tried yet. I am still skeptical for being on Nexon's grip, so  I really don't have very high hopes on it.

I was interested on it since I started playing Vindictus and read somewhere it was some sort of a prequel to Mabinogi. There was a time where I actually confused both games to be the same since I knew Vindictus first for its asian name of Mabinogi Heroes.

You never know before you try, and remember that no one is forcing you to pay, you can pay IF you want WHEN you want under YOUR conditions, the game will never stop or block you to pay, its as free to play as you want it to be, want to pay ? i say go for the pets only, they are in most cases the best thing in the cash shop and is also worth your money compared to other items in the cash shop.

You never know before you try, and remember that no one is forcing you to pay, you can pay IF you want WHEN you want under YOUR conditions, the game will never stop or block you to pay, its as free to play as you want it to be, want to pay ? i say go for the pets only, they are in most cases the best thing in the cash shop and is also worth your money compared to other items in the cash shop.

Well I assume you are talking about Mabinogi.

I was talking about Vindictus specially, Atlantica could be put on this to some extent as well too. DN for what I saw managed to get away.

Vindictus I belive it did not sell any sort of equipment either (or none that I cared about at the very least). The problem was enhancing mostly. You could only get to about +5 with relative safety. But the max is +15 for equipment and to be somewhat useful is has to be over +9 or +10, and you could get that only if you were incredibly lucky or spend a lot of money. This was, and still, is my main problem not only on those games but many others as well. This situation has driven me away from many games. 

Sure, it is not really required to get that high, but when party members abandon you when you are not that high and you are unable to advance without help, that becomes an issue. This issue is worse in a PvP centered game, which luckily none of them are (or well, not really required)

At some point I might try Mabinogi, and I hope it is not like that. And for what you say, seems to have gotten away as well.

Well I assume you are talking about Mabinogi.

I was talking about Vindictus specially, Atlantica could be put on this to some extent as well too. DN for what I saw managed to get away.

Vindictus I belive it did not sell any sort of equipment either (or none that I cared about at the very least). The problem was enhancing mostly. You could only get to about +5 with relative safety. But the max is +15 for equipment and to be somewhat useful is has to be over +9 or +10, and you could get that only if you were incredibly lucky or spend a lot of money. This was, and still, is my main problem not only on those games but many others as well. This situation has driven me away from many games. 

Sure, it is not really required to get that high, but when party members abandon you when you are not that high and you are unable to advance without help, that becomes an issue. This issue is worse in a PvP centered game, which luckily none of them are (or well, not really required)

At some point I might try Mabinogi, and I hope it is not like that. And for what you say, seems to have gotten away as well.

Yes i was sorry for not mentioning it, i never played Atlantica...is it any good ?

Well i am going to bed now, its far too late, nighty night.

As a 5+ year nexon player I can tell you that your statement is wrong for Vindictus, Dragons Nest, Combat Arms, and Mabinogi.  Maplestory I don't know nor do I care about.  I must add that the community of Mabinogi is one of the best and most expansive that I've seen, definitely one of Mabinogi's strong points as a social game.

And no, with the mmobomb competition and the sort of relevance that Mabinogi has to Warframe because of the vote, a thread like this should have been made earlier not as an advertisement but to help foster educated votes.

as an Ex-vinditus player i can say it definitly is p2w

as an Ex-vinditus player i can say it definitly is p2w

But then again this is about Mabinogi, a game i have played for over 5 years and have yet to see a payment wall or pay 2 win feature.

In-fact what you can get in-game by trading/buying from other players or crafting is always better then what the cash shop has to offer in Mabinogi.

I forgot to mention that you can actually buy most cash shop and event items from other players, just go to channel 1 (channel 1 aka shopping/selling channel) and enter the town of Dunbarton and you will find a lag inducing amount of players all selling/trading there goods. (thats also where you can find end-game/rare weapons, armor, cloth and similar)

Just saying, to the OP, I'm not exactly sure this was the best time to bring up Mabinogi/Nexon games in a Warframe forum, ESPECIALLY after an extremely heated competition related to Mab and Warframe.

I think as long as both side are willing to put things in the past and be civil from now on, we can avoid unessecary flame-war like last time.

Well, I'm thinking of trying Mabinogi myself.

Just need a better timing for downloading, and still a little bit concern about Nexon. Nothing to do with the latest poll.

Like what posters above said before:

The game's cool, the community's okay. But I hated Nexon's guts. That's all.

Perhaps later after this semester is over or so I'll give Mabinogi a shot.

My main problems is how clunky the game is and how hard it is to level certain skills past a certain point.

Also the character creation system is absolutely terrible for f2p. Relying on "character cards" to make more than one character and you don't get your freebie back unless you delete everything, and even then there's only a slight chance of getting the free card back.

• 3 months later...

My main problems is how clunky the game is and how hard it is to level certain skills past a certain point.

Also the character creation system is absolutely terrible for f2p. Relying on "character cards" to make more than one character and you don't get your freebie back unless you delete everything, and even then there's only a slight chance of getting the free card back.

The leveling system for skills is cruel but for a good reason, This game relies on the use of skills, every fight is based on who can out-smart or find weaknesses in the enemies/foes skills. Giving the player the ability to learn and level these skills fast(er) will result in people ignoring the strategic gameplay and instead just spam end-game skills for a quick win.

What this game want you to do in combat is take what skills you have learned and use your head to figure out how to defeat the enemies/foe(s).

Here is a tip for you, Start as a human then you can travel to Connous the elf village or Physis the giants village, then talk with the elder and you will receive an assist card if you ally with one of them, making you able to then create another character.

Stupid bug makes me lose my quotes....

Everyone joining Mabinogi meet me on Mari server

Add Yancha and ill show you the ropes

The game IS NOT pay2win

Near everything from the cash shop can be attained from players at a low price

Unfortunately crafting is obsoleted entirely by cash shop items but those are sold for so little that its almost unimportant

Theres also the whole turn based thing. Lets be clear

Its not turn based

It has a sort of RPS style combat where certain things beat other things

A simple example is

Normal attacks tie with charge and beat smash but lose to counter and defense and windmill

Smash will lose to everything but defense but it does the most damage by far

Windmill beats everything but defense

Youll learn as you go

TL;DR

Join Mari server and add Yancha if you want to try Mabi

Also start with a human for a free elf AND giant

Did i mention you get 2 free pets? (one that flies) on top of 1 free pet per character upon completion of the Saga of Iria that can be started at any time?

Those pay to win games i tell ya