Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is It Knockdown Or Knockout?

Lysserd

Because all I know is that I get hit by a stun, get up, make a cup of coffee, make a sandwich, read a book, use the restroom, have lunch, balance my checking AND savings accounts, and by the time I come back I'm finally starting to stand up.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic - but the durn stuns last too long! Now, is it overpowered? No. You won't get killed unless you're surrounded by tons of mobs, and that's in solo play. But what it is, is really durn frustrating.

If you read some game design 101 books (which I assume you did because a lot of this game plays great) you'll learn that you should never make your player feel a loss of control. Now when I'm stuck on the ground for half of a millenium with nothing I can do to get up faster, nothing I could have done to prevent it, I'm feeling pretty out of control. This escalates to a lot of anger if I end up sustaining heavy damage or dying because of it. Because that damage and death weren't in my control. It was just some lame mechanic that made me take a nap.

So why not make it so you can mash sprint to get up faster? Or allow the player to use some energy and/or stamina to do it? I'd spend my energy on that, and it would serve to balance the ability. Why not add a mod that reduces stun duration? There's a lot of ways around this problem, and from the overall quality of the game I'm surprised that nobody thought of this.

Now you might think that it's fine the way it is, you can just run away from enemies that stun or try to dodge roll. The problem I have is that a lot of times I'm stunned: the enemy is hiding around a corner, I get teleported to them, they can run much faster then me, or my dodge roll has failed me. So lets fix up this bad stun timer with one of the methods suggested above. Or come up with a new one. I ain't doing all the work here.