The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion About Melee/sprint Speed

ea192000

I was thinking about the Melee Speed for a long time. I understand than the Melee Speed as a characteristic of melee weapon is a wrong concept, because the Melee Weapons don’t have Attack Speed. The weapons have weight, and the “Melee Speed” is provided by the user...

All this led me to think about several things, and I did a formula that I might like to see implemented.

Regarding the Melee Speed.

Basically, as I remarked at the beginning, it is a characteristic of the user of weapon, not from the weapon itself. Taking it to Warframe, we may take 2 different Warframe to see how it would work.

Taking Loki and Rhino, which are opposites (in the sense of the Heavy and Light), we could imagine that there is an attribute more, like sprint speed, attack speed. Example:

Loki        Rhino
Melee Speed        1,40        1,10

Loki is the fastest because of its agility. But this is where the weight of the weapons comes into play...
Assuming that the weapons have a new feature (weight), how would this affect attack speed? Well, should exist something like "Weight Penalty", having a higher limit on the Warframe with heavier armor (in this case Rhino). As example:

Loki      Rhino
Melee Weight Penalty    50        130

What happens with this? Suppose each weapon (melee, primary and secondary) have own weight, I have taken as Example 5 weapons and I have added a weight (fictitious):

Weapon            Weight
Heat Dagger      25
Skana                40
Amphis               90
Jat Kittag           120
Fragor               150

Now, if the weight of the weapon does not exceed the "Weight Penalty" of Warframe, attack speed should be the Warframe attack speed (1.40 on Loki, 1.10 on Rhino). That is, Loki will have a speed of 1.40 on Heat Dagger, and Rhino 1.10.
Now, if the weight penalty is exceeded, you could apply the following formula (as an example) to reduce the attack speed:

Actual Melee Speed = Warframe Melee Speed - (( Warframe Melee Speed * ((Weapon Weight-Weight Penalty) * 100 / Weight Penalty) / 100) / 4)

This example calculation gives us the following table:

Weapon            Weight            Loki Melee Speed    Rhino Melee Speed
Heat Dagger        25                1,40                          1,10
Skana                  40                1,40                          1,10
Amphis                 90                1,12                          1,10
Jat Kittag             120                0,91                         1,10
Fragor                 150                0,70                         1,06

Here you can see the speed of attack with the example weapons, so that the break point would be Amphis on Loki. It will reduce his speed of 1.4 to 1.1 attacks per second. While for Rhino, the Amphis does not present downside.
As seen, on Loki the attack speed would drop a lot with Jat Kittag and Fragor, while for Rhino is hardly perceptible.

Regarding the Sprint Speed.

Following the above logic, we can apply the same calculation for the sprint speed, where we have:

Loki    Rhino
Sprint Speed    1,25    0,90

Will also have a "Weight Penalty" but in this case applied to the sum of the weights of all weapons. Example on these two Warframe:

Loki       Rhino
Sprint Weight Penalty    120        340

Now, making a small table where I apply the same formula that with attack speed (with fictitious weapon weights), we can see the following:

Actual Sprint Speed = Warframe Sprint Speed - (( Warframe Sprint Speed * ((All Weapons Weight-Weight Penalty) * 100 / Weight Penalty) / 100) / 4)

Weapons                                  Weight    Loki Sprint Speed    Rhino Sprint Speed
Heat Dagger + Kunai + Paris     85          1,25                         0,90
Amphis + Boltor + Sicarus         250         0,91                         0,90
Fragor + Ogris +AkBronco        400         0,52                         0,86

Loki begins to reduce speed if it exceeds the weight limit, getting to have the Rhino speed when, using Boltor + Amphis + Sicarus, and reduces much speed if he use the heavier weapons (Fragor + AkBronco + Ogris) , becoming much slower than Rhino.
As for running speed, I see that there is a very significant reduction, but with this new system where you can go with only 1 weapon, I see no problem. You could also apply a "hard limiting" to prevent the speed descend too much.

In short, I was interested on sharing this idea, to see what think about it. Of course all data are invented, and the formula is quite simple. But I would like know your opinion.

Regards.

Nice idea, I like it. One question though, how would you feel about getting speed/stamina bonuses for unequiping your primary and/or secondary? Seems to go along with your weight idea. less weight means faster and lighter frame which means faster melee,less of a stamina drain, faster stamina recharge ect.

Edited by (PS4)DA_HEFF_

Nice idea, I like it. One question though, how would you feel about getting speed/stamina bonuses for unequiping your primary and/or secondary? Seems to go along with your weight idea. less weight means faster and lighter frame which means faster melee,less of a stamina drain, faster stamina recharge ect.

I think the stamina consumption on sprint could be related with the weight of the full equipment, that could be related with the "weight limit" and make a slow recharge when the warframe have more weight.

The stamina consumption of melee weapons is fine now, but the think is, i dont understand how the speed of melee is related with the weapon itself, and how loki or nova with an Ogris and Galatine could run faster than Overon with a dagger xD