The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dear De: Separation Of Concerns, The Game(S)

ThePresident777

I've had this phrase, Separation of Concerns, knocking about in my head for a while now and I have no idea how it got in there.  It's such a broad concept that it drags everything into it so I can't decide what to say about it specifically.  My ideas flow to fast and chaotically to capture here.  Don't know where to start or end.  I googled it and it turns out to be a computer programming term by some guy named Djikstra, or something like that.  There is nothing particularly computer progammy about it, or magical.  It's just common sense.  It's basically Occam's Razor for Stuff:  Use and do things for what they are worth, no more, no less.

So, rather than get all philosophical, let me run with an example.  Imagine a game where one plays a child who dreams of adventure.  When the child sleeps, he dreams of entering his closet(or Toy Box, Toilet, Chicken Coope, Sewer[nah, over played], Cookie Jar, etc.) where he is magically transported to amazing worlds of adventure.  He could choose to visit:

1)  American Western themed world.

2)  Native American Mythological World.(Varied and under appreciated genre(s))

3)  African Mythology World (Varied and under appreciated genre(s))

3)  Greek Mythological World

3)  The Era of Sun-Tzu

4)  Samurai Japan

5)  Contemporary Warfare

6)  Life as an Aligator

The possibilities are endless.  Each world could have their own rules, or same rules, and items that do not transfer from one world to the next.  Each world could be targeted to a different type of customer.  Or, this game could be targeted to the cosmetics only customers.

Another possibility is a set of games/products, each targeted to different customers:  Nukers, Gunners, Melee, Strategy..............

The possibilities are endless.  They could all be self published, using the same game engine, and plat as the common currency.

Just some thoughts I've been trying to unleash for a while now.