The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Dummy Host Players

EvilMind

Right now a game has a host. If that host disconnects it causes a host migration. If they leave group outside a mission then the group automatically dissolves. Is this really necessary?

I have a possible solution- A dummy host.

This host wouldn't exist. It's not an AI or bot. The players would never see it nor have any way of telling it exists. It would only exist for the purposes of the back-end. It would act as a fake player that hosts the game. It never leaves group, so groups never completely dissolve until only that dummy host/player is left. Problem solved.

What you are talking about is dedicated servers. The reason the host leaving causes host migration is, that the host player is actually running the server for the session. That server needs to run somewhere. If its not on a players computer, then it needs to be in DEs datacenter.

Dedicated servers cost money, they would have to pay for it somehow = more real money costs.

Right now a game has a host. If that host disconnects it causes a host migration. If they leave group outside a mission then the group automatically dissolves. Is this really necessary?

I have a possible solution- A dummy host.

This host wouldn't exist. It's not an AI or bot. The players would never see it nor have any way of telling it exists. It would only exist for the purposes of the back-end. It would act as a fake player that hosts the game. It never leaves group, so groups never completely dissolve until only that dummy host/player is left. Problem solved.

So.. you're asking for dedicated servers? sort of.

I assumed it was already being run on DE's servers. If it is actually using one player's hardware to serve the content I'm surprised. If that's the case I don't see how it could be secure for the purposes of cheating.