The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

X: Rebirth 2.0

Kamal965

Everyone hated upon X: Rebirth, and justifiably so, when it was first released. Even the patches afterward didn't help much. It also has a 33/100 metacritic rating.

However, all those reviews were from November 2013, when it was first released. I now hear that patches 1.25, 1.35 and the latest 2.0 (released today) have fixed a lot of the game. 2.0, especially, all but overhauls the entire game into another re-release is what I'm hearing.

I've been very, very keen on getting an X game lately, and have been waiting for a sale. Should I wait for X3: Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude to go on sale, or just get X: Rebirth? At least I know for certain that TC is good.

(X: Rebirth is also 50% off)

I havent played X Rebirth yet, mainly because of its bad reputation and from what I've seen of it, but as far as I know it isnt a "real" X-Game anymore (and this was intended by the devs, hence the title "Rebirth"). I really enjoyed X3: Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude but it has a really high learning curve and took me quite some time to get into.

I'd say if you want to control huge fleets, trading ships and want to build whole station complexes, have a lot of free time and dont mind the learning curve wait for Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude to go on sale.

X Rebirth looks like something you dont have to spend that much time on and it seems more casual. But as I said I havent played it myself and only know about it from reviews and gameplay videos.

Edited by Ogractor

It's likely too early to tell whether 2.0 is worth a purchase. If you don't want to wait I recommend getting X3 with the overhaul patches they have on the egosoft site that were mostly player created.

The X games generally are really buggy at release; Rebirth moreso. I don't think many modders wanted to waste their time with rebirth because it was such an awful base -- if 2.0 truly does fix the majority of veteran gripes it might develop into the best in the series,  but even then you'd need to wait until a number of mods release which could be another year or more.

So in summary either wait it out or get X3 now.

Edited by xLordBelialx