The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's Get Ui Right This Time! (Colourblind Support)

PenutReaper

Okay, This is a warning, this thread may get a little ranty at times. I apologise in advance.

Now then, let's get to the point. This game is not particularly colourblind friendly. I am still forced to walk up to some doors to work out if they are green or not. My suggest is to implement one of the following options.

1.) Allow us to choose from multiple preset colour options, like the colour options in battlefield 4, for example.

2.) Allow us to choose colours with a wheel or RGB sliders for certain UI/in-game elements.

A huge number of people play this game, and a large number of those are colourblind. That is a fact.

I think that this game does not do nearly as much as it could and more importantly should do to support these people, myself included.

Over 10% of the worlds population is somewhere on the scale of colourblindness. The last figure I saw for the number of warframe players was 7.8 million players. 10% of that would be 780,000 people. That is a large amount.

The most common mistake that developers make when they do decide to add in support for colourblind individuals is that they only add in a single colourblind mode, usually aimed at people on the red-green colourblind scale, ignoring several types of colourblindess in the process, thus the options above.

I feel that the options proposed would help a wide range of people to play the game without worrying if a door is open or closed, or which ammo container is which. These might seem like small things, but they can become frustrating over time.

Not only this, but I have several friends that have switch to using colourblind modes in other games because they have found them easier to use. One of the options above would provide a larger number of people than ever before to enjoy warframe to it's fullest as well as potentially making it easier for people with normal vision to play too. 

Okay, This is a warning, this thread may get a little ranty at times. I apologise in advance.

Now then, let's get to the point. This game is not particularly colourblind friendly. I am still forced to walk up to some doors to work out if they are green or not. My suggest is to implement one of the following options.

1.) Allow us to choose from multiple preset colour options, like the colour options in battlefield 4, for example.

2.) Allow us to choose colours with a wheel or RGB sliders for certain UI/in-game elements.

A huge number of people play this game, and a large number of those are colourblind. That is a fact.

I think that this game does not do nearly as much as it could and more importantly should do to support these people, myself included.

Over 10% of the worlds population is somewhere on the scale of colourblindness. The last figure I saw for the number of warframe players was 7.8 million players. 10% of that would be 780,000 people. That is a large amount.

The most common mistake that developers make when they do decide to add in support for colourblind individuals is that they only add in a single colourblind mode, usually aimed at people on the red-green colourblind scale, ignoring several types of colourblindess in the process, thus the options above.

I feel that the options proposed would help a wide range of people to play the game without worrying if a door is open or closed, or which ammo container is which. These might seem like small things, but they can become frustrating over time.

Not only this, but I have several friends that have switch to using colourblind modes in other games because they have found them easier to use. One of the options above would provide a larger number of people than ever before to enjoy warframe to it's fullest as well as potentially making it easier for people with normal vision to play too. 

They mentioned something like this for future plans btw. Was in Devstream where they mentioned unique UI's for elemental frames. I.E ember gets flamig UI. Then afterwords they mentioned how they could just try to make a color picker to allow players to make the UI colors whatever they want to help add an element of uniqueness to their personal UI 

They mentioned something like this for future plans btw. Was in Devstream where they mentioned unique UI's for elemental frames. I.E ember gets flamig UI. Then afterwords they mentioned how they could just try to make a color picker to allow players to make the UI colors whatever they want to help add an element of uniqueness to their personal UI 

Any chance you can rememeber which devstream this was in, I don't remember seeing it on the ones I have seen...

+1 to your rant.

For other people to understand.. i just leave this here..

1326197898.jpg

The thing is, it can be way more subtle than that. certain shades of green/yellow take me all day to get my head around, same with blues and purples.

Before I found out about my colourblindness, back in school, I almost got into an argument with a friend because he said I had coloured the sky in purple, but it looked blue to me. (A little off topic, but the pencil that have the name of the colour on them are the best thing ever by the way.)

I just want to make it as easy as possible for people to enjoy Warframe and I feel the proposed changes, or other alternate ideas, I am open to suggestions, would be a major improvement.