Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mod Drop Rates Need A Slight Tweak

Xevious

I understand that the mod drop rates were nerfed in the first place because Rare mods were being farmed extensively and obtained quite commonly, but I feel that the nerf took the drop rates a little too far. 95% of the mods I've been picking up are not very useful, and the majority of them are probably Sentinel mods. I am not requesting to revert this drop rate change, but I think it's fair to say (and most would probably agree) that it needs a bit of an increase right now -- somewhere in the middle between how the drop rate is currently and how they were before the hotfix.

Edited by Xevious

on the upside, my duplicates are in the 30-40's now. on the downside.. 90% are useless :P also i've only received a volt shock rare mod since the change, so 1 in 150 roughly is too too rare.

Yes, I've gotten a crapload of common duplicates as well. As for rare mods, since the update, I've gotten about 3 or 4 total.

Basically the way I see it is that they dropped the rare mods spawn rate in order for players to engage in alert missions more often as previously individuals would just go and sell them for cash. The issue is, since the rare mod spawn rate has dropped so low, people are running out of rare fusion cores to upgrade their already high level mods or rare mods which gives elemental damage, etc. which is unfortunate for the newer players in the game.

While I am of the opinion that rares should be rares, it sounds as though you are basing you thoughts on their rarity by the number of lesser mods your finding. It is my understanding that you're supposed to find an abundance of low-levels mods to feed your in-use mods to slowly level them up. Or sell them, if you're low on credits from too much fusion.

I've found 2 rare mods since the update; I don't think this rate of discovery is bad. Rare are supposed to be rare, but one persons understanding of rarity won't often match anothers.

While I am of the opinion that rares should be rares, it sounds as though you are basing you thoughts on their rarity by the number of lesser mods your finding. It is my understanding that you're supposed to find an abundance of low-levels mods to feed your in-use mods to slowly level them up. Or sell them, if you're low on credits from too much fusion.

I've found 2 rare mods since the update; I don't think this rate of discovery is bad. Rare are supposed to be rare, but one persons understanding of rarity won't often match anothers.

I actually agree with this point of view, the only issue is it depends on how much you play in a single day. I've played for about 13 hours today(yes go outside more and some more antics) and have only come across maybe 1 or 2 rare mods. I'm not sure as to how much you have played, but that's a long time in my books, worth a couple of days. Now don't get me wrong, that DOES mean rare and it's not bad. I'm just feeling deprived of certain mods since I just made about 6 new weapons or so in the time span of 3 days.

In a more reasonable sense maybe add a chance to reward players with a rare mod from boss fights or (getting this from a thread I read a while back, can't find it to link) use the excess experience you get from your already rank 30 warframes/weapons in order to gain a reward, the more exp the more rewarding, of course as a low scale where you'd need lots of exp to gain a rare mod.

On the up side, you only need to find a particular rare mod once to upgrade your weapons with it. It's a pain to cycle the mods between weapons, and if the mod is a high level you need to level your newer weapons to use it, but you really only need one copy of each mod to be able to have all options available to you. Really having more than one copy of any mod is just a thing for convinience.

On the downside, now that rare mods are indeed rare, consider how many different kinds of rare mods there are. There are a LOT of rare mods. I counted a total number of 26 rare equipment/warframe mods and that's not including all warframe skills. The warframe skills alone easily makes rare mods the most numerous type of mod in the game.

There's a little bit of control as to what drops what, but even then if a rare mod drops (I've generally come across one every 3 missions or so on average), there's a chance of getting from up to 6 different mods, to a huge slew of rare mods considering infected have a high chance of dropping skill based drops. The likelyhood of finding a rare mod you actually need is reduced to such a low factor that finding such a mod is a moment for halleluja.

If they use bosses as an improved method of getting rare drops, there will be little purpose in doing much of the other content except to get to the bosses. People will farm what gives the best upgrades. I think bosses work just fine as a method to get new frames and crafting materials of certain types. Now, as an idea, they could remove all class skill drops from the mob loot table and add them to the respective boss table that drops their parts.

A boss drops generally one part/resource and one mod. Having the mod be a higher chance of being a skill based mod for that warframe continues to give the boss some purpose even after someone's gotten all the parts. Bosses are still useful for farming, but aren't so high quality targets that people only focus on boss kills.

I think this would be a great way to rebalance rares.