Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Problems Playing Melee In Infested Defense Missions.

Cattlehunter

New player here, only been playing for 2 days. Bought the founder's package, as you can see, got myself a rhino and a frost, that giant 2 sword, and started doing infested defense missions because those are the most entertaining ones to grind for mods and affinity at this point.

Anyway, I have huge issues being useful past even waves as low as 10-15, as when there are 8+ ancients rolling around, even if I avoid getting stunlocked by keeping them stunlocked and frozen, I will just die to the poison one's aoe dot, with my shields never breaking.

I'm stacking my health and survivability otherwise as high as I'm able with the mods available to me atm., but it doesn't seem to matter since as far as I can tell there's no healing whatsoever available during defense missions? Other than getting knocked down and revived (and maybe a few times from containers that don't respawn), I never get any health back.

Makes me feel really stupid to be the huge, beefy melee with invulnerability abilties, and still be the guy who needs to be revived the most, just because of that stupid dot. I guess I can just not stand next to them, but they all tend to bunch up, and I want to be in the center of it all to do damage and provide CC anyway; I'm practically useless at range relative to how strong I am in melee.

What am I supposed to do? Just deal with it, and keep getting ressed? Not play melee at all against the infested; just go Nyx and trololololol until she's nerfed? Or am I missing something?

10-15 is fairly decent for endless defense, most games i have had duck out at 15... the enemies are exceptionally harder at that level and i'm afraid to say you just aren't going to be slicing throuhg them. You do have a number of options though:

- Use a gun on them at this level

- Hit and run with some kind of DoT (like fire)

- melee the non-toxic ones to freeze/stun as CC (like you are doing, it's good teamwork)

- Pick off any smaller ones whilst your boomstick wielding brethren take care of the big ones

- Tank them whilst your boomstick wielding brethren take care of the big ones

There are VERY few healing orbs in there, infact the only ones are from occasional containers. Alternative healing is either rejuvination from an artifact (i always take this as no-one ever does) although it's very low amount/tick and not that great or playing with healing frame friends.... Well the other option is to time your health damage so you go down towards the end of the wave and can easily be revived, giving you full health back (this way sucks though)

I find timing dodges really helpful against infested, as they tend to do a lot of stuns and knockbacks. Fighting them with melee can also be very tough as the doggies will just swarm you and chain knockback you until you die. I personally like the Boltor with heavy fire mods against them, as it shoots fast, have decent spread and a large clip size.

If you insist on playing melee then try moving as much as possible while bashing around, sprinting while hitting helps to avoid doggies knockback.