The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Levels..

3Jane

tumblr_mbux4y3oxU1qb05two1_400.jpg

I've tried for a few minutes to really sum up what some of the new Grineer levels are doing to my eyes and brain right now.. but Escher does it so much better.

I don't want to bash on DE, or the level designer. Its just that these levels are just..a bit mad, completely eccentric. You enter a cube room with no decals on that look like its placeholder, then suddenly a full blown cavern that is so huge and has so many possible exits I get lost for minutes at a time. Not the fun "this is cool kinda of lost", more the "wtf are you kidding me" kind.

Its like a whole UT99 level that you can walk in to and get lost, with 100 similar looking staircases, gangways, 3+ levels that you can't tell which you are on. Instead of variety and contrast in texture/material/geometry I feel like I've entered a box universe or a giant column with Escher stairs all over.

Part of the problem comes from a lot of these having way too much symmetry. If you get in a fight its easy to forget which side of the level you are on and where you were going, everything is too similar in design and doesn't lead you anywhere. 

I've totally loved the levels up until now, but I've not got much desire to spend hours learning these new rooms (levels) that just feel designed to confuse rather than lead the player forward and let them focus on shooting/fighting/using cover on the way. 

Anyway anyone else got any thoughts?

Escher is my favorite contemporary artist.

Math + Art combined? Zomg! So much more interesting that just regular art.

If you think the new designs are Escher-esuqe, then I guess I should love the new designs.

(Fun Fact: Escher was originally dismissed for not creating Art that was "popular" at the time. AKA he created works of art he thought were cool and didn't care what the majority of the population preferred. Kinda like DE hehe. AkA Warframe isn't your average CoD/WoW clone)

--

Edited by Nokturnal