Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
Jade Shadows: Known Issues ×

Nyx's Absorb Causing Squad To "fire Backwards"

EnvisionV

What the bug is

I have come across a very annoying bug that I would like to report. If your back is facing towards a squad-mate Nyx who is using Absorb, upon firing, your bullets will actually go behind you and hit the orb that Nyx is creating. I originally noticed this with the MK1-Braton so I grabbed the Quanta in order to take better screenshots of the projectile direction.

Image #1

[Note: Sorry, couldn't find a way to make steam screenshots work with the %7Boption%7D tags]

In this image my squad-mate is using Absorb right next to the pod on Venera, Venus (The same tileset that Xini used to use)

Note that while my weapon was firing backwards I was unable to damage anything that I was actually aiming at. This would mean that this is not just a visual bug to do with projectile direction but a rather large bug that forces weapons to be practically unusable if your back is to a player using Absorb (Unless you are shooting at a target that is directly behind you)

I then went to try out what the "range" was on this bug by running away from my squad-mate and firing again.

Image #2

[Note: Sorry, couldn't find a way to make steam screenshots work with the %7Boption%7D tags]

Here I am standing next to the door to the corpus spawn room on the left hand side of the map from the room you first spawn in. I have my back toward my squad-mate who is standing next to the pod again while they use Absorb. As you can see the bug still exists. This leads me to believe that the bug has infinite range (this will come into importance later).

I then tried to fire in the same sort of direction as my squad-mate in order to see what the effect was if i was aiming at my squad-mate. While looking to see what happened I noticed my projectiles "snap" to my squad-mate if I aimed at any point inside the orb.

Image #3

As you can see here, I am aiming my cross-hair at the bottom right section of the orb, however the beams from the Quanta have "snapped" to target my squad-mate instead. Also notice the small blueish beam from the point of impact with my projectiles with the orb and the actual point I am targeting with my cross-hair.

Possible Causes

From the information I have gathered I am assuming that the bug in question could be caused by the following things:

- The aiming vector created from the player to the cross-hair is also cast behind the player, from my second screenshot I assume that this is of a very great or infinite length.

- Any aiming vectors that target anywhere in the orb that Absorb creates instantly snap to targeting the center of the orb rather than aiming down the direction of the cross-hair.

I hope that my findings will allow for an easier fix of this very annoying and possibly in game death causing bug. (Nothing great can come of our ranged weapons becoming useless while aiming down a hallway if a Nyx is behind you)

Special Thanks

Special thanks to "tdogs" for helping me find this bug and allowing me to use him as a test subject as I attempted to debug it.

Edit: Spelling of squad and added extra information on squad-mate's positioning for 2nd image

Edited by N3GATIVEZ3R0

Nyx also absorbs friendly shots, that is what causes it.

I understand that Absorb also absorbs friendly shots. It's a great mechanic to have. However, that does not explain why it causes players to fire behind them if their back is turned to a squad-mate who is using Absorb

I understand that Absorb also absorbs friendly shots. It's a great mechanic to have. However, that does not explain why it causes players to fire behind them if their back is turned to a squad-mate who is using Absorb

As long as you are in the radius of Absorb, and no matter which direction you shoot, the shots are absorbed by Nyx. That makes it a extremely annoying. But that is also how it works on enemy shots, which makes Absorb a great alternative to Snow Globe when defending objectives in Defense missions.

Edited by PeanutMonster

As long as you are in the radius of Absorb, and no matter which direction you shoot, the shots are absorbed by Nyx. That makes it a extremely annoying. But that is also how it works on enemy shots, which makes Absorb a great alternative to Snow Globe when defending objectives in Defense missions.

If you could please have a look at the screenshots I posted, at what point am I standing inside the absorb radius?

Note my position relative to my squad-mates positions on the mini-map.

Please fully read the opening post of a topic before posting, if you did you would understand that standing inside the absorb radius is not the issue here.

Edited by N3GATIVEZ3R0

If you could please have a look at the screenshots I posted, at what point am I standing inside the absorb radius?

Note my position relative to my squad-mates positions on the mini-map

The ''real'' radius is much larger than the visual is. But the second screenshot is indeed something I cannot explain.

not true. you can fire near the absorb and you can hit enemys fine

it affects ALL energy weapons like this. we don't need evidence... we just need to know if it's a bug or not.

Its not just energy weapons, It happens on bullet weapons also, its just harder to see as they don't use tracer rounds. I first noticed this on my MK1-Braton when it was firing and it wasn't sending any bullets toward where I was aiming.

Very strange bug, I will try with some friend to confirm.

Another question : is the bullet absorbed from Teamate add damage to the orb?

Do you manage to test this point?

I haven't gotten around to testing to see if this powers up the orb as of yet.

I would assume it would as i have been able to kill enemies that are behind me due to firing backwards from the bug, meaning that the damage is now being aimed behind me along with the weapon firing effects.