The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Defence Maps

DreamerNeon

As the feedback on the new tilesets is all the rage now, here's mine :)

The smaller one is not so bad as it actually forces you to scout the area on a regular basis, but most of the enemies are located by their gunfire. 

Now the large one just pissed me off. First of all, I am not defending a mountain, I am defending a cryopod about 3 meters   long so the size of the map is completely unnecessary. Secondly, it takes up to 15-20 seconds for some enemies to actually get to the cryopod, while the rest spawn 2 miles away and just take cover behind something. So now clearing a wave went from 2 minutes to 10 because you have to run around like $&*&*#(%&. The third issue is that, while some enemies simply take cover and do nothing, others have some messed up AI and just run around in circles, which makes clearing waves quickly even harder.

All in all, defence is fu*ked up.

I have had this issue too its variable and sometimes on the original version, eg on palus  had waves consist of ~5 mobs and take 5 min to come out.  shouldnt be 25 min of standing around for occasionally get something to kill.  There has also been times where all the mobs apear on top of the crate and it instantly dies. both on palus version thats been around a while (the smaller one that doesnt have the 2 bridges)

My biggest issue with the new defense maps is the enemy spawn amount and rate, being they are quite small and slow.  The grineer defense map similarly suffers the same issue, although its improved in this update.

Too few spawns make it quite a drag when you have more than one player, and the rate being so slow makes a single wave stretch out far longer than it should be.  There isn't really anything exciting about 4 grineer's spawning behind a door to walk in and get instantly sniped.

The other issue is the corpus/grineer don't be anywhere near as aggressive as they should be on these maps, they instead hunker down behind cover and its our job to flush them out.  The original snow defense map doesnt suffer from this issue.

The infested numbers and spawn rates seem to be the closest to the best, and when AI issues are addressed wil be quite fun to play against.

Then of course there's the AI pathing, but im sure this is being worked on already.

I think the huge defense map with the bridges is really nice, but more needs to be done to it in terms of making us actually use the space provided.  Currently there is no other reason but to hold off one of the two major bottlenecks, and with 2 or more players its very stale.  That pod appears to be in different positions with each load in which is good, but the same issue still remains.

Maybe multiple cryopods that have barriers which flicker off between/during the waves would be a good way to make us move around the map more often?  Having two pods to defend at once would be quite challenging with multiple players.

Otherwise there is the gears of war 3 horde mode method which is we get to choose a pod/basecamp to defend, but thats probably more a survival gamemode.

I think we can all agree the mountain defense is...troublesome.  Especially with Corpus.  For once, I've been avoiding defense missions.  When we HAVE to do one on that map, we put one person on watch and everyone else goes AFK.  Worst we've ever had it is 25 minutes to reach the first checkpoint due solely to spawn rate.