Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Melee Weapons And Speed

Sparrohawk

It's an old, old conceit in most video games that (generally) bigger weapons = slower weapons, and from a balance perspective, I can see why that would be. You want different weapon types to fill different niches, after all.

But in terms of realism, it doesn't really work that way. Disclaimer: I'm well aware that I'm bringing up realism in a game that revolves around space ninjas attacking an assortment of biologically twisted beings, bird-robots and spiky malignant medicine balls.

But the fact is that warriors trained in the use of big two-handed swords were capable of using them just as fast as a smaller weapon; the larger greatswords of wars past could be used terrifyingly fast as a long handle and adequate training meant it may have well been a bamboo stick. It wasn't easy, either. Those who could do it generally were given double pay, and they were rightly formed into elite groups.

Again, I can understand why DE or any other developer might not follow this idea. If they did, it would invalidate the smaller weapons in many respects, and we'd all likely wander around with weapons that made the Buster Sword look like a cutesy-wutesy toy. And I'm not sure if they could adequately balance the idea, either. But it'd be nice to see some more basic weapons realism in at least one game :)

You're specifically referring to the doppelsoldners of the Landsknechte, using Zweihanders, which have significantly longer handles, especially so if you include the ricasso.

The only greatsword we have is the Gram, and it does seem to be used primarily for cleaving,.unlike the multi-purpose Zweihanders.