Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Suggestion)Better Freerunning/parkour

SomethingCrazy

I've been playing this for awhile now and have gotten somewhat good with the freerunning aspect of this game in my own opinion. After numerous hours are me freerunning across walls, sliding under doors etc. I occasionally mess up which is sometimes my own fault but other times.....I can't really say it is. 

1.My biggest issue is doing a vertical wall run up an object thats a little out of my reach to jump and grab on or to quickly get over an obstacle. I decide to wall run up and try to get on or over it but instead I'm met with a backflip off the wall/object, or just slowly sliding down it once I reach the top. I found that very few times my character will just suddenly pop up onto the object or I can execute a forward roll while slowly sliding down will sometimes toss me over but it rarely works(If there's an easier way to do this, please let me know.) My suggestion is to allow us the ability to wall run and able to perform a ledge grab once we're at the necessary point to perform it.

2.Another issue I've been having (which may be because of my keyboard) is slippery and unresponsive controls. Now this can really just be my keyboard so I might be out of line here, but I'll mention it anyway. Countless times I've ran toward a ledge/wall/object of some sort to overcome it but my character won't jump or jumps too late because he/she didn't react fast enough to my keystroke. Now I would have to do the walk of shame and take a few paces back to restart my not-so-epic-anymore run and try yet again (It's worse when I mess up again because of this.) May just be that I need a new keyboard but if not, please fix this.

3.Last issue is bad Player Character-Environment unit collision. As I'm dashing through waves of enemies, cleaving heads left and right with the swing of my sword, I begin to jump up onto a ledge and gain the advantage with higher ground so I'm capable of pelting them with my rifle but instead my character's hitbox clips the ledges hitbox that comes out ever so slightly, returning me to the ground instantly. Now I'm ashamed and soon to be mauled a dozen enemies that can eat my shields and health in seconds, resulting in my death. Should've pressed that jump button a second sooner I guess.

I'm aware this is just the beta which is also why I'm posting it. If it was live I probably wouldn't bother because the game would be basically set in stone.

Anyway, other suggestions are welcome and/or tips 'n tricks to help out less knowledgeable players like myself. 

Edited by SomethingCrazy

1. You hit crouch! Usually, that will either slide onto whatever you're trying to climbing on to, or you'll grab the ledge and climb up. Crouching is pretty integral to the parkour in this game, since it's also effectively the equivalent of an airdash. Don't release space; that's generally what causes the backflip.

2. Haven't had too much of a problem with jumping, except when I duck into a roll instead of jumping for... some reason. They do need to fix some of the surfaces, though; there are walls that you should be able to wallrun up that are impossible to, or just extremely difficult to (requiring multiple tries).

3. Collision is sometimes a little weird, yes, which needs fixing in general.

Also! I'm not too sure if you know of walljumping/launching, which is basically jumping onto a wall, initiating a wallrun, and letting go of space immediately. It is by far the best way of getting great vertical and horizontal distance.

Edited by Quetzhal

Wow thanks Quetzhal! Crouching helped quite a bit actually (never thought of using that for some reason.) I was able to get around things much easier with it and cover more distance.

As for the wall launching, I was aware of it but never use it because it's so situational and most things I'm able to get around without using it, probably because the game and environments weren't designed for it. Sometimes it comes in handy but other times (when I'm actually trying to run across walls to get over a gap) it flings me across usually screwing me up.

Points 2 and 3 are still valid and need fixing in my opinion. As for point 1, crouching seems to work well enough there.

Edited by SomethingCrazy

No problem! Yeah, your other points are valid enough.

Wall launching... Well, I doubt the environment was designed for it per se (though it should be incorporated into new maps!), but it's pretty useful for getting around once you get used to it. You don't have to use it, of course, it's just a quick way of getting around (or away from, say, Toxic Ancients).

As a quick example, take the extraction tile on the Grineer Asteroid tileset. There are various ways to get across - you could run down the stairs, back up, and to the exit, you could jump over the rail and crouch, effectively airdashing to the other side, or you could wall launch from that little panel they stuck to the side and fling yourself straight to the exit.

As you can see, I use it quite effectively to shortcut my way across maps. I made that video a while ago for a different purpose but there are enough shortcuts there to illustrate what I mean. xD

I get what you mean, though. I've gotten better at wall launching since that video, but there are still times when I hit something at the wrong angle and fling myself in entirely the wrong direction. Usually into a Toxic Ancient because the game hates me. :P