Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wallrunning Is Awkward With 2 Buttons And Crippling On Controller

SpartanChief1170

I play warframe with a controller. (Not trying to start a mouse+keyboard vs controller debate I just prefer it lol)

The game plays the same as with mouse and keyboard except for with wall running.

For those on keyboard you hold space while sprinting(shift) to wall run which allows you to aim freely with the mouse and still shoot while you are running. On the (xbox) controller you have to hold the left stick down to sprint and A to jump/wallrun which keeps your left thumb down and occupies your right thumb so you are unable to use it to also aim.

I seldom see an opportunity to take advantage of the mechanic myself (I usually forget about wallrunning unless i am forced to), but I also feel that may be because I have stopped looking for that opportunity because it will hamper me.

I feel like a simple solution to this would be to remove the need for a button press altogether. There is no (nonderp) reason that you would want to be running into a wall without wallrunning or running up it so why not make it so that if you are sprinting at a wall it automatically puts you into a wall run. 

This would remove the awkwardness of holding down 2 buttons on the keyboard while also bringing controller players the ability to use it to its full potential.

tl;dr : make wall running happen when you sprint at a wall rather than requiring an awkward 2 button press combo. There is no reason not to :)

I'd... rather not. It would be irritating to randomly be put into a wallrun every time I bump into an object.

In any case, there should be a "hold jump to wallrun" option that you can toggle. If you uncheck that, you won't have to hold down your jump button and can freely use your right thumb to aim.

You can rebind but there are more functions in game than mapable buttons. (I have swapped around a few things and gotten something that works well for me but lost waypoints. I now reach to my keyboard to hit G)

I don't really see bumping into things as a problem, or at least not the way i play the game. am usually running if i am heading through an empty area or trying to get into melee (so usually not near walls). You also can't wall run on everything and the angles for wall running (that already exist) don't seem to be common unless you are attempting to actually wall run. You could also just end the run with a jump or crouch (depending on what your doing) which i doubt would put you too off course.

Of course I could be way off base and It could be more of an issue than i am thinking it would be (I will keep an eye on when i would bump into things that might start a wall run in the future).

if it wasn't too difficult to implement I think it would be a good thing to do a usability trial on.