Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Passive Abilities, Possible?

NarcolepsyNoise

I started a thread about how I was thinking that Saryn should have been immune to poison & it ended up being about passive abilities.

People suggested that Ember, Frost & Volt had a similar work to it as Ember wouldn't take damage from the fire in "Self-Destruct" Frosts shields wouldn't be affected by "Cryogenic Leakage" & Volt wouldn't be affect by electricity. People than argued that this would favor these frames instead of the others & so Passive Abilities has come up.

I really like the idea & it all seems to make too much sense.

Here's a list of what people have suggested -

Is there any talk about adding passive abilities to warframes?  Here are some ideas...

Excalibur - Added melee damage

Trinity - Healing aura

Frost - Infallible shields (Shields not effected by the ice on levels)

Rhino - Intimidating (Sorta like a pulsing taunt)

Saryn - Venom immunity

Loki - Fumble resistance

Mag - Enhancing Aura (Buffing allies abilities within a small area around her)

How about

Trinity - Healing pulse similiar to ancients. 5hp/s should be enough.

Nyx - Small energy regen. 1 per 4s.

Ember - Each attack have a chance to set enemies on fire. 20-30% chance, 20 dmg over 4 seconds. Works on ranged melee and skills, also bodies killed by ember burns dealing fire dmg to enemies passing.

Volt - Each melee attack made against volt shield have a chance to discharge it dealing dmg to attacker. 40-60% chance for 100 dmg.

Frost - Enemies standing near frost will get slowed, they also adapt resistance to this effect over time.

Rhino - Every 10 seconds does a staggering pulse.

Saryn - Each jump attack creates a poison nova, immunity to poisons(or at least half effect)

Banshee - Each 5 seconds does a pulse that marks enemies on map. Sidearms become silent.

Mag - Pulls nearby items automatically picking them up, chance to absorb bullets fired at her adding them to current weapon used. 10% chance seems fine imo.

Excalibur - All melee weapons can hit few enemies at once, regains 2 energy per enemy kill.

Loki - Each ability used restores 20 shields and hp.

Ash - Ability to stealth kill alarmed enemies with smoke screen.

Nothing game breaking nor seriously op yet giving some unique feel to these frames.

Of course this would need some work & not everything is 100% but I would really like to see this be added =D

& I know there are other posts about this, I just wanted to reinforce it.

+1. Passive abilities SHOULD be there and can enhance your gameplay in solo as well as multiplayer and may open up interesting team combinations. The passive ability could be classed as a 5th ability, but NOT a mod, and it could very slightly scale with warframe level.

Not sure if starting another thread is a good way to go but since it all started from Saryn thread I guess I will join in here. I think passive abilites would help greatly to differentiate warframes.

How about

Trinity - Healing pulse similiar to ancients. 5hp/s should be enough.

Nyx - Small energy regen. 1 per 4s.

Ember - Each attack have a chance to set enemies on fire. 20-30% chance, 20 dmg over 4 seconds. Works on ranged melee and skills, also bodies killed by ember burns dealing fire dmg to enemies passing.

Volt - Each melee attack made against volt shield have a chance to discharge it dealing dmg to attacker. 40-60% chance for 100 dmg.

Frost - Enemies standing near frost will get slowed, they also adapt resistance to this effect over time.

Rhino - Every 10 seconds does a staggering pulse.

Saryn - Each jump attack creates a poison nova, immunity to poisons(or at least half effect)

Banshee - Each 5 seconds does a pulse that marks enemies on map. Sidearms become silent.

Mag - Pulls nearby items automatically picking them up, chance to absorb bullets fired at her adding them to current weapon used. 10% chance seems fine imo.

Excalibur - All melee weapons can hit few enemies at once, regains 2 energy per enemy kill.

Loki - Each ability used restores 20 shields and hp.

Ash - Ability to stealth kill alarmed enemies with smoke screen.

Nothing game breaking nor seriously op yet giving some unique feel to these frames.

Trynity - Sounds good balancing numbers and rate of pulse TBD. The only problem I see with that it makes arifact rejuvenation obsolete
Nyx - Pretty much the same as Trynity also has the same problem with energy siphon artifact
Ember - Well not sure if adding dmg to ONLY dmg frame is a good idea. The passive resistance idea is better imo.

Volt - Melee attack seems a bit weak in missions vs Grineer and Corpus and totally useless against infested (infested take no dmg from elctricity afaik) As there is no electric hazard I currently have no suggestion how to repleace it.

Frost - he has that effect from snowglobe so its same thing. Again stick with the resistance. Not loosing shields in forst hazard missions would futher establish his position as a tank.

Rhino - Staggering pulse will be either too strong or barley noticable depeding on the rate of pulse. If its often it will "permastun". On the other hand if its rare most of the trash will be dead before 2nd pulse. As it is now Rhino is tank but he can hardly tank when Jackal or Hyena plays basketball with him. Make him knocback immune/resistant ?

Saryn - Mire has that effect already. No point in giving a frame something that you can get from item. Again stick with resitance.

Banshee - Enemy radar artifact does the same all the time. Id suggest something along immunity to silence IF we had enemies that prevent us from using skills (Hey dev team im giving you another mob idea here, maybe even a boss ;)  )

Mag - Interesting I like that but not sure if it wouldnt be too weak. I mean everyone can just walk to that box and pick it up.

Excalibur - as it is now most people use 2handers or dual weapons so that would apply only to people who want single weapon. Could be fine with just that. The 2nd part I think is fine.
Loki - Im not so sure loki spams his abilites THAT much to get serious benefit form these numbers. Idea is fine but needs serious balancing.
Ash - As it its now smokescreen is used for charge attack/slash spam to kill enemies anyway so acutally getting a slower animation that kills ONE enemy would be a step back that no Ash player would like to see. Since he is the embodiment of space ninja maybe some kind of passive dodge. That allows him to negate every 10th attack. 

Now let the flaming begin :D

Edited by KainSilencer

It would be nice if each Warframe had some sort of unique ability (aside from the frame specific spells) that worked all the time.  Maybe it could even change based on solo play or group games.  Scaling based on Warframe level would be nice, or even passive mods that you can switch out and level up to customize your Warframe to your game style   Something to make each Warframe a little bit more unique to each other.  Great ideas.

Not sure if starting another thread is a good way to go but since it all started from Saryn thread I guess I will join in here. I think passive abilites would help greatly to differentiate warframes.

Trynity - Sounds good balancing numbers and rate of pulse TBD. The only problem I see with that it makes arifact rejuvenation obsolete

Nyx - Pretty much the same as Trynity also has the same problem with energy siphon artifact

Ember - Well not sure if adding dmg to ONLY dmg frame is a good idea. The passive resistance idea is better imo.

Volt - Melee attack seems a bit weak in missions vs Grineer and Corpus and totally useless against infested (infested take no dmg from elctricity afaik) As there is no electric hazard I currently have no suggestion how to repleace it.

Frost - he has that effect from snowglobe so its same thing. Again stick with the resistance. Not loosing shields in forst hazard missions would futher establish his position as a tank.

Rhino - Staggering pulse will be either too strong or barley noticable depeding on the rate of pulse. If its often it will "permastun". On the other hand if its rare most of the trash will be dead before 2nd pulse. As it is now Rhino is tank but he can hardly tank when Jackal or Hyena plays basketball with him. Make him knocback immune/resistant ?

Saryn - Mire has that effect already. No point in giving a frame something that you can get from item. Again stick with resitance.

Banshee - Enemy radar artifact does the same all the time. Id suggest something along immunity to silence IF we had enemies that prevent us from using skills (Hey dev team im giving you another mob idea here, maybe even a boss ;)  )

Mag - Interesting I like that but not sure if it wouldnt be too weak. I mean everyone can just walk to that box and pick it up.

Excalibur - as it is now most people use 2handers or dual weapons so that would apply only to people who want single weapon. Could be fine with just that. The 2nd part I think is fine.

Loki - Im not so sure loki spams his abilites THAT much to get serious benefit form these numbers. Idea is fine but needs serious balancing.

Ash - As it its now smokescreen is used for charge attack/slash spam to kill enemies anyway so acutally getting a slower animation that kills ONE enemy would be a step back that no Ash player would like to see. Since he is the embodiment of space ninja maybe some kind of passive dodge. That allows him to negate every 10th attack. 

Now let the flaming begin :D

i like ur rhino and ash suggestions because it is annoying to get knocked around as rhino and dodging every 10th attack wont break the game. trinity and nyx need to be fixes tho cuz then u get 2 of each and be able to spam abilities and heal while staying in a group 

i like ur rhino and ash suggestions because it is annoying to get knocked around as rhino and dodging every 10th attack wont break the game. trinity and nyx need to be fixes tho cuz then u get 2 of each and be able to spam abilities and heal while staying in a group 

Well you could make them unique by making 2nd pulse of the same type not work unless specyfic ammount of time passed since last one. 

Because that was to much focused on Saryn so I thought I would make one that specifically focuses on Passive Abilities.

+1. Passive abilities SHOULD be there and can enhance your gameplay in solo as well as multiplayer and may open up interesting team combinations. The passive ability could be classed as a 5th ability, but NOT a mod, and it could very slightly scale with warframe level.

Especially if your passives affect your other team mates as well just like an artifact

Especially if your passives affect your other team mates as well just like an artifact

Exactly. As I said, this could open up interesting team combinations (some combined effects may be stronger than others in a group), similar to buffs in other games.

Artifacts anyone ?

Rifle Amp, Steel Charge, Rejuvenation ?

No ? Oh ... :-(

I think that personal abilities are a good idea but they can turn out way to powerful.

What about making them toggable and when they are active they slowly drain Power ?

Also i would like to see Rhino get a small Melee Speed Buff as personal ability. Why is everyone thinking about stunning the enemy ? That would be way to powerful. Hes skintight with the enemies most of the time, it would compliment his playstyle if he can charge a bit faster, for example.

I personally think that passives should be by the frame and not the team.

I mean why would a fire based war frame have a electric resistance? or any other combinations.

Volts Electric Resistance would make him the Uber Frame vs Corpus..... I like :)

Well yeah, only some should affect the rest of the team. Like trinity. She's a support + her abilities. It would make complete sense to have her have a team passive such as +1 team health every 5 seconds.

If you're having passives that don't affect your team then there's not really a big point in having passives - you might as well just have a Frame be stronger in some aspects.

Okay, you can have some things that don't DIRECTLY affect your team (for example the ideas for Mag, or Saryn) but in a way they can still be of help to the team as a whole. Also, passives shouldn't be very strong - immunities to some element types are out of question, but some kind of reduction could be done, even if small (~10%) and could still be a lifesaver.

If you're having passives that don't affect your team then there's not really a big point in having passives - you might as well just have a Frame be stronger in some aspects.

Okay, you can have some things that don't DIRECTLY affect your team (for example the ideas for Mag, or Saryn) but in a way they can still be of help to the team as a whole. Also, passives shouldn't be very strong - immunities to some element types are out of question, but some kind of reduction could be done, even if small (~10%) and could still be a lifesaver.

What? Not really a big point in having passives?

Have you completely misunderstood the reasons for passives? 

Mods are passive abilities. Warframe-specific mods should be coming along soon.

So Shock, Speed, Electric Shield and Overcharge aren't Volt specific abilities?

immunities to some element types are out of question

Why are they out of the question?

How many times do you see a strictly fire-based weapon? 1 - Grineer Napalm

How many times do you see a strictly Electric Based Weapon? 1 - Crewman Prod

How many times do you see a strictly Poison Based Weapon? 2 - Toxic Ancients Aura and Toxic Crawlers when they die

Is it because not every Warframe has a "elemental type"?

Well not every Warframe gets every ability so that argument is moot.  Its seems to be a "I don't have it therefore no one has it".

What is wrong with immunities?  Its not like they are going to tip the balance in favour of a specific Warframe vs a particular enemy really anymore then it already is.

Volt will still be the best vs Corpus

Ember will still be the best vs Infested

Its not like just because Ember can stand in flames of a Grineer Napalm that the rest of the whole force suddenly can't shoot them.

Passives don't have to be high because they are just that. Passive.  Something to help you along, a 10% decrease is next to nothing when you consider how many types actually use that attack.  10% decrease in damage vs 1 maybe 2 enemies?  Would make them negligible at best.

Edited by Morte_de_Angelis

What? Not really a big point in having passives?

Have you completely misunderstood the reasons for passives? 

I just said that passives should, to some extent, have an effect on your whole team as well.

Why are they out of the question?

How many times do you see a strictly fire-based weapon? 1 - Grineer Napalm

How many times do you see a strictly Electric Based Weapon? 1 - Crewman Prod

How many times do you see a strictly Poison Based Weapon? 2 - Toxic Ancients Aura and Toxic Crawlers when they die

Is it because not every Warframe has a "elemental type"?

Well not every Warframe gets every ability so that argument is moot.  Its seems to be a "I don't have it therefore no one has it".

What is wrong with immunities?  Its not like they are going to tip the balance in favour of a specific Warframe vs a particular enemy really anymore then it already is.

Volt will still be the best vs Corpus

Ember will still be the best vs Infested

Its not like just because Ember can stand in flames of a Grineer Napalm that the rest of the whole force suddenly can't shoot them.

Passives don't have to be high because they are just that. Passive.  Something to help you along, a 10% decrease is next to nothing when you consider how many types actually use that attack.  10% decrease in damage vs 1 maybe 2 enemies?  Would make them negligible at best.

Technially you also have the Grineer Flameblade that uses Fire attack (Also, do the damned rolling plasma grenades of death and barrels also do Fire damage or not?) .

But it doesn't matter, I see your point. I just thought a complete immunity was  a little bit too much - I'd like to see a 50%+ reduction though.

I just said that passives should, to some extent, have an effect on your whole team as well.

Technially you also have the Grineer Flameblade that uses Fire attack (Also, do the damned rolling plasma grenades of death and barrels also do Fire damage or not?) .

But it doesn't matter, I see your point. I just thought a complete immunity was  a little bit too much - I'd like to see a 50%+ reduction though.

The blade would do damage, but the extra fire damage wouldn't affect her. Just like electricity doesn't affect infested whats so ever.

& Explosives & fire is totally different. Explosions are a violent expansion in which energy is transmitted outward as a shock wave.

Since when are those passive? Sorry, I don't make active efforts to cover all of my bases just in case I'm gonna be nitpicked by internet children who are perfectly capable of understanding what I'm talking about yet need to fuel their superiority complex.

Edited by krisp