The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Survival: The Suffocation Simulator

(XBOX)ShapelessHorr0r

There is no getting away from it. You can't reasonably expect a player to have knowledge of how the game spawns enemies, let alone make this essential to success. Normally, working doorways would be an effective strategy for defending a position and controlling your ground/flanks, but because it's now mandatory to understand spawn mechanics, people who do that are given a silly label. Really, the 'doorway dumbass' is probably trying to do what seems rational to him - 'if I control this doorway, the enemies can't get in to threaten my team/our position'.

Don't defend it, the spawn system needs to be improved, or made less critical to Survival. Most annoying for me, however, is when THE GAME INSISTS ON SPAWNING ENEMIES FROM DEAD-ENDS I JUST CLEARED. This just breaks immersion and makes any kind of 'strategy' pointless,since the game will make baddies out of thin air regardless of how thorough you were in picking your position.

You're being attacked from behind!

Oh, crap, was I outflanked? Did I not take care of my surroundings?

No, you were very careful. Because Game.

Don't you walk into that room!

What? I'm chasing down an enemy.

WE WILL LOSE THE MISSION.

Did I make a mistake?

No. Because Game. 

Talk to the devs about practically every mode they have. Their engine is programmed to spawn mobs only where the players can't see them, and they haven't had enough documentation or instructions all along. Don't blame the single most rewarding game mode for lack of instructions, when that is an issue with the entire freaking game. Besides, alter the way you play, or don't play. Simple as that. Or become a developer.

Talk to the devs about practically every mode they have. Their engine is programmed to spawn mobs only where the players can't see them, and they haven't had enough documentation or instructions all along. Don't blame the single most rewarding game mode for lack of instructions, when that is an issue with the entire freaking game. Besides, alter the way you play, or don't play. Simple as that. Or become a developer.

Actually, it's simply survival by itself. The rest of the game is largely ok. Why is it ok? Because, in all other game modes, RNG simply hinders or even helps the player. Survival downright fails the player. For example, bad spawns in exterminate only forces the player to go look for them. Pfft, that's easy.

Bad spawns in defense help the players as it slows the enemy advance.

Bad spawns in rescue are simply an annoyance if not a huge help.

And so on, however, bad spawns in survival, even for a few seconds, can doom a squad, period. Any seasoned survival player can attest to that.

So it turns survival into a big gambling machine rather than a show of skill, strategy, and gear.

The reason I like Excavation so much is because it follows every other game mode in regards to RNG. If the energy carriers fail to spawn for five minutes, BIG WHOOP!!!

That's why I think my "Heist" game mode is a good replacement to Survival.

To be frank, if rather the survival game mode just be dropped. I'm sorry, but it simply causes frustration because the house always wins unless you "cheat."

Actually, it's simply survival by itself. The rest of the game is largely ok. Why is it ok? Because, in all other game modes, RNG simply hinders or even helps the player. Survival downright fails the player. For example, bad spawns in exterminate only forces the player to go look for them. Pfft, that's easy.

Bad spawns in defense help the players as it slows the enemy advance.

Bad spawns in rescue are simply an annoyance if not a huge help.

And so on, however, bad spawns in survival, even for a few seconds, can doom a squad, period. Any seasoned survival player can attest to that.

So it turns survival into a big gambling machine rather than a show of skill, strategy, and gear.

The reason I like Excavation so much is because it follows every other game mode in regards to RNG. If the energy carriers fail to spawn for five minutes, BIG WHOOP!!!

That's why I think my "Heist" game mode is a good replacement to Survival.

To be frank, if rather the survival game mode just be dropped. I'm sorry, but it simply causes frustration because the house always wins unless you "cheat."

Bad spawns is created by the player not RNG based, io defense jupitor is a great example of this.

Regardless

Players should not be forced to tip-toe around a game mode.

Also, the type of enemy is determined by RNG along with LS packages and pod drops.

You aren't forced. It has the best rewards per time invested currently. Other game mods have more design flaws (RNG in rewards, or non-existent rewards), and is the most dynamic out of all of them, save excavation. I hate RNG with a vengeance, but survival has ways to manipulate that. While I would support changes to make it less RNG dependent, there some major problems with the changes proposed: 1) spawns are bad because AI pathing and spawning logic is bad. Fixing these problems requires a major overhaul of major parts of the game engine, and I doubt that we will ever see more than minor tweaks to spawning logic in the short term. 2) Life support drops are rare because RNG. Fixing this would require changes to A) rarity of drops (and we won't see much tweaking here in the short term) and B) rebalancing of rewards, due to reduced difficulty.

EDIT: spawns are much better as of today. Got to 25 minutes without planning on it, then spend more time getting juggled by ancients than actually playing. W9J6Pop.jpg

Edited by Magnar21