The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Better Melee Mechanics

Gooberflesh

My main idea is that I would like to see the melee weapons made equippable, instead of exclusively activated by button press. This would allow for more control over your direction and movement. Instead of adding more button combinations as a moveset, there could be mods for different sets of animations that alter damage/speed/crit chance, to make melee more viable and varied. The existing moves, like the slide attack and jumping strike, could be modded as well to change their functionality - without having to further encumber the actual controls.

So, you'd still have the quick melee key handy, but I'd like to be able to equip a one-handed pistol and melee weapon at the same time.The levels where you have to carry around the overgrown USB drive show they've already got the beginnings of such a system in place. 

This game is fun but there is a grind that more variety could help abate, and it feels too focused on the over-the-shoulder bland third person fare. Fleshing out the up close cyborg ninja action can't hurt anything.

EDIT: I want to add that I also enjoy the aesthetics and lore of this game, and would like to see it have some longevity. The Metal Gear Solid vibe is great, as well.

Edited by Gooberflesh

Honestly you can control your direction pretty fine in the first place with the quick melee, and it makes for much easier usage of it than equipping it awkwardly with your pistol for KnifeGun silliness.

And honestly, it has an amazing variety in the first place, adding more just because you think "It cant hurt anything" could be a step in the completely wrong direction.

Honestly you can control your direction pretty fine in the first place with the quick melee, and it makes for much easier usage of it than equipping it awkwardly with your pistol for KnifeGun silliness.

And honestly, it has an amazing variety in the first place, adding more just because you think "It cant hurt anything" could be a step in the completely wrong direction.

It could well be a step in the wrong direction; any step could be. The way it is now, the melee attacks remind me of the quick-knife present in current FPS games - more of a last resort. If the game is indeed supposed to be a balance between long gun, pistol and hand-to-hand combat, it isn't quite there. What I'm suggesting won't take away from what's already present - as I said, there's no reason to remove the quick melee option. What can't hurt is adding more depth to an existing mechanic, adding more to see and do than spam the same basic attack animation every time. It wouldn't have to allow for a pistol and sword to be equipped simultaneously, either, as switching between weapons is functional if a little clumsy at times.