Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Single Click Firing For Semi-Auto Weapons Needs To Go

TehJumpingJawa

My left mouse button, and trigger finger, are crying out for this game to abstract away the repeated clicking necessary for firing semi-auto weapons.

Sure the nominal skill required of timing your clicks for maximum fire rate with weapons like the leto would be lost, but just think of all the arthritic finger joints that will be avoided!

My left mouse button, and trigger finger, are crying out for this game to abstract away the repeated clicking necessary for firing semi-auto weapons.

Sure the nominal skill required of timing your clicks for maximum fire rate with weapons like the leto would be lost, but just think of all the arthritic finger joints that will be avoided!

Not possible. It's semi-auto for a reason. Go to the firing range if you can and try out a semi-auto pistol or rifle. You will understand then. (I can't but I already know it's mechanics so I don't need to)

Also, get some full-auto weapon if you don't like it (Grakata, Gorgon, Braton, Mk1 Braton, Viper, Twin Viper)

Edited by matrixEXO

Not possible. It's semi-auto for a reason. Go to the firing range if you can and try out a semi-auto pistol or rifle. You will understand then. (I can't but I already know it's mechanics so I don't need to)

Also, get some full-auto weapon if you don't like it (Grakata, Gorgon, Braton, Mk1 Braton, Viper, Twin Viper)

This has nothing to do with reality; what I'm suggesting is an abstraction for the sake of usability.

Click lmb - > intent to fire weapon

Click and hold lmb - > intent to continuously fire weapon

These intents are completely independent of the weapon's firing mode.

Mate learn to relax when you play. Find a nice comfortable position. Put some chilled music on. None of the semi auto weapons should make your finger hurt. Slow it all down a bit. Things will die anyway. I imagine you full of red bull leaning into your moniter with the shift button held down, almost breaking it so you can get to the next kill just that little bit quicker. 

Also if your having to spam a semi auto that much and so fast it cant be modded right. Semi autos have a much more powerful bullet/bolt than full autos. Most mobs should be dead in 2-3 hits max (unless ancient). If they aint then...

Relax when you play. Open a window and hear the birds chirping. Your finger will soon feel better i promise.

This has nothing to do with reality; what I'm suggesting is an abstraction for the sake of usability.

But it DOES! When has a semi-auto weapon ever been coded to fire like a full-auto weapon with super-low fire rate? Never! That's exactly why. If you can't handle the point of a semi-auto weapon, go try all the ancient generation shooter games and you might see the trend.

Design comes from the basis that reality has to be imparted somewhat precisely. Everything about a game has some basis of reality in there, no matter how small the implementation of reality is. A semi-auto weapon cannot be fired like a full-auto can because it would constitute it as a full-auto instead.

Edited by matrixEXO

Mate learn to relax when you play. Find a nice comfortable position. Put some chilled music on. None of the semi auto weapons should make your finger hurt. Slow it all down a bit. Things will die anyway. I imagine you full of red bull leaning into your moniter with the shift button held down, almost breaking it so you can get to the next kill just that little bit quicker. 

Also if your having to spam a semi auto that much and so fast it cant be modded right. Semi autos have a much more powerful bullet/bolt than full autos. Most mobs should be dead in 2-3 hits max (unless ancient). If they aint then...

Relax when you play. Open a window and hear the birds chirping. Your finger will soon feel better i promise.

What now?! You're defending the game by suggesting I'm playing too intensely?!

It doesn't matter how many rounds it takes to kill an individual enemy; once one dies, you immediately move on to killing the next. The only reprieve is the occasional reload.

If semi-auto pistols have been balanced by being exhausting to use, then I'd suggest that's bad design.

It reminds me of the days of auto fire joy pads, and tap-frenzy sports games.

But it DOES! When has a semi-auto weapon ever been coded to fire like a full-auto weapon with super-low fire rate? Never!

I can list dozens (perhaps hundreds) of games that have done as such; do you need me to?

I believe the differentiating factor is the game's adherence to realism; is warframe intended to be a fast paced arcade shooter, or a slower paced realistic tactical shooter?

I'd argue it's most definitely the former, and as such modelling semi-auto weapons as simply hard hitting with slow RoF is perfectly acceptable if it improves playability.

What now?! You're defending the game by suggesting I'm playing too intensely?!

It doesn't matter how many rounds it takes to kill an individual enemy; once one dies, you immediately move on to killing the next. The only reprieve is the occasional reload.

If semi-auto pistols have been balanced by being exhausting to use, then I'd suggest that's bad design.

It reminds me of the days of auto fire joy pads, and tap-frenzy sports games.

Dude... Relax...

If any of the semi auto weapons are not killing in 2-3 hits your modded wrong or havent found the nice mods yet. When your semi autos are more powerful you will feel different. Yes i do belive you are playing very quickly. Probobly competing online in groups to keep up with other people and kill things before they are all dead.

Relax...play with some friends at a slower pace. You dont need to mash mouse1 or mouse2. Trust me on this. When i first started playing i felt the same as you. My arms would ache... My eyes hurt... My leg would go numb from all the foot tapping...My poor mouse was being hammered to death without me even realising what i was doing.

Count in your head the rhythm of a beat. 1--2--3 ¬ 1--2--3 ¬ 1--2--3 just at a normal pace. Nothing to fast. The mobs will still be dead. You wont take any extra damage or lose kills. Anyway... What guns are you using and what mods and how many notches are those mods? I may be able to help you in this way. What level are you? What level are the mobs your fighting? What faction are you prefering to kill most? Answer these for me mate ok:)

Dude... Relax...

If any of the semi auto weapons are not killing in 2-3 hits your modded wrong or havent found the nice mods yet. When your semi autos are more powerful you will feel different. Yes i do belive you are playing very quickly. Probobly competing online in groups to keep up with other people and kill things before they are all dead.

Relax...play with some friends at a slower pace. You dont need to mash mouse1 or mouse2. Trust me on this. When i first started playing i felt the same as you. My arms would ache... My eyes hurt... My leg would go numb from all the foot tapping...My poor mouse was being hammered to death without me even realising what i was doing.

Count in your head the rhythm of a beat. 1--2--3 ¬ 1--2--3 ¬ 1--2--3 just at a normal pace. Nothing to fast. The mobs will still be dead. You wont take any extra damage or lose kills. Anyway... What guns are you using and what mods and how many notches are those mods? I may be able to help you in this way. What level are you? What level are the mobs your fighting? What faction are you prefering to kill most? Answer these for me mate ok:)

Dude.... I'm at 150hours, many maxed weapons, frames & mods. Suffice to say I know how to play the game.

I think one thing in favor of this, at least temporarily, is that framerate drops will actually decrease the fire rate of your semi-auto weapons. Same with fast melees- if your fps starts tanking, you actually can make less shots per second.

TehJumpingJawa, on 27 Apr 2013 - 1:26 PM, said:

Dude.... I'm at 150hours, many maxed weapons, frames & mods. Suffice to say I know how to play the game.

Judging by this post, it seems like you dont. I can understand why he said that cause theres no need to spam click fire unless you are rush minded and unmodded. 1 word: Macro. not hard to make

Besides, he was trying to help but you kinda slapped him in the face

Edited by Bitfly

<p>semi-auto does not mean auto.. If you dont like it, get a full-auto wep or make a macro if youre concerned about fatigue</p>

So now the suggested solution is to use external scripting programs?!

Are people here so wrapped up in defending this game that they can't see a problem, and how easy it would be to solve?

On investigation I'm actually struggling to find games that DON'T give single-click continuous fire from semi-auto weapons.

The only games that seem to require lots of clicking are the god awful newer breed of MMS (Modern Military Shooters); something Warframe most definitely shouldn't aspire to be like.

Dude do you even know what semi-auto is?

TehJumpingJawa, on 27 Apr 2013 - 1:37 PM, said:

So now the suggested solution is to use external scripting programs?!

Are people here so wrapped up in defending this game that they can't see a problem, and how easy it would be to solve?

On investigation I'm actually struggling to find games that DON'T give single-click continuous fire from semi-auto weapons.

The only games that seem to require lots of clicking are the god awful newer breed of MMS (Modern Military Shooters); something Warframe most definitely shouldn't aspire to be like.

Yes. I also know what walking is, and yet I hold down the "W" key to do it, rather than use some sort of elaborate bike pedal system, or the controls from QWOP. Videogame controls do not need to mimic the actions they cause.

Edited by Worira

Feel yo pain brotha. I opted for the full auto alternatives because my finger asked me to. Wouldn't hurt to have a hold to shoot mode with slower fire rate. Some minmax people use macros to do the same thing but get the fast rate. That doesn't sound right to me. A slower mode with less damage output but more comfort however. For us who want to try the weapons without the pain. Objecting to that is a bit like objecting to using hold to sprint instead of continously tapping the forward button.

Since, uh, Doom.

Doom was a full-auto mode all the way. It works since it IS full-auto.

Though seriously, if you wanted a slow-firing full-auto paintruck... then go wait for one to come out. People complaining their fingers are tired because semi-auto is giving them the jellies is just a butt-load of bull since you got ALTERNATES. OMG, WE DO!?!?!?

You don't like it, deal with it. As long as there are other ways to supplement your... issues, you can always use it. Forcing an issue by saying that you want a full-auto function onto a semi-auto weapon is like asking yourself (as a guy, example) to be a girl complete with natural boobs and a fully usable pussy, without surgery or any gene-changing drugs (coughcoughdrjackalandmshydecoughcough). Geez.

Edited by matrixEXO

Yes.... go play some shooters that aren't MMSs and you'll find that 9 examples out of 10 semi-auto weapons do NOT require 1 click per shot.

It has nothing to do with Modern Military Shooters...the definition of "semi-automatic" means that the weapon has an automatic feed system but requires the user's input to fire each shot. One click, one trigger pull, one bullet.

There is absolutely no reason to call a weapon semi-automatic if it does not do this.