The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Sniper Options

Falseangel17

While the Snipertron is pretty excellent (when properly modded mind you) and the Paris is an interesting addition they leave little variety when it comes to killing enemies.

So these are the general ideas I'm proposing, the balancing and weapon stats ill just leave open for discussion.

Bolt Action Rifle- Weapon that has to be reloaded ( or chamber reprimed) after every shot fired. The damage would be very considerable, a one shot kill is almost certain if you hit the enemy in their weakspot. However, reloading is quite the hassle.

Marksmen Rifle- Individual shots do not deal a whole lot of damage, but the weapon has a fast fire rate, a large magazine, and very good accuracy at long range. Repeated hits to critical areas of an enemy will make very short work of them. (Some will argue that the Latron fills this role, but I view that weapon as a combat rifle, for it cannot zoom very far.)

Bustfire Rifle- Similar to the marksmen rifle, but almost automatic in its nature. Each pull of the trigger will fire three rounds in very quick succession, repeatedly striking whatever is in the targets sights. The rifle deals good damage and has decent accuracy. However, the trigger can also be pulsed to unleash a flurry of sniper rounds into the enemy, causing much damage at the cost of quickly expelling the magazine. (Some will also argue that the Burston fills this role, but again the sights on the weapon leave much to be desired, and this weapon would deal considerably more damage at longer ranges.

So these are what I had in mind, improvements and constructive feedback is welcome.

While the Snipertron is pretty excellent (when properly modded mind you) and the Paris is an interesting addition they leave little variety when it comes to killing enemies.

So these are the general ideas I'm proposing, the balancing and weapon stats ill just leave open for discussion.

Bolt Action Rifle- Weapon that has to be reloaded ( or chamber reprimed) after every shot fired. The damage would be very considerable, a one shot kill is almost certain if you hit the enemy in their weakspot. However, reloading is quite the hassle.

Marksmen Rifle- Individual shots do not deal a whole lot of damage, but the weapon has a fast fire rate, a large magazine, and very good accuracy at long range. Repeated hits to critical areas of an enemy will make very short work of them. (Some will argue that the Latron fills this role, but I view that weapon as a combat rifle, for it cannot zoom very far.)

Bustfire Rifle- Similar to the marksmen rifle, but almost automatic in its nature. Each pull of the trigger will fire three rounds in very quick succession, repeatedly striking whatever is in the targets sights. The rifle deals good damage and has decent accuracy. However, the trigger can also be pulsed to unleash a flurry of sniper rounds into the enemy, causing much damage at the cost of quickly expelling the magazine. (Some will also argue that the Burston fills this role, but again the sights on the weapon leave much to be desired, and this weapon would deal considerably more damage at longer ranges.

So these are what I had in mind, improvements and constructive feedback is welcome.

BAR <3

These three weapons already exist, by the way.

Burstfire- burston

Marksman- latron

Bolt action- snipetron (one shot per second? That is not semi-auto.)

What we need is actual places where sniping would be useful first.

These three weapons already exist, by the way.

Burstfire- burston

Marksman- latron

Bolt action- snipetron (one shot per second? That is not semi-auto.)

What we need is actual places where sniping would be useful first.

Maybe if you would have read the entire post, you might have already seen that I do know they exist, and that I pointed out some things that troubled me about them.

Maybe if you would have read the entire post, you might have already seen that I do know they exist, and that I pointed out some things that troubled me about them.

The latron already has higher than average zoom. The largest area I can think of is a diagonal on that snow map with a large pit surrounded by walkways. The latron can work effectively at that range, and I don't think the game needs open spaces any larger. Another weapon introduced to fill the role you're asking for would basically be a latron with more zoom, and I have a feeling we're getting zoom mods coming anyway (DE mentioned lots of new mods coming, and zoom is a pretty obvious idea).

The burston should be doing 3 shots before recoiling if the description is to make any sense, and there's a lot of support behind that idea, so I'm hoping that happens. Creating another weapon that does exactly what this one is intended to do would be silly, we just need to adjust what we have.

The latron already has higher than average zoom. The largest area I can think of is a diagonal on that snow map with a large pit surrounded by walkways. The latron can work effectively at that range, and I don't think the game needs open spaces any larger. Another weapon introduced to fill the role you're asking for would basically be a latron with more zoom, and I have a feeling we're getting zoom mods coming anyway (DE mentioned lots of new mods coming, and zoom is a pretty obvious idea).

The burston should be doing 3 shots before recoiling if the description is to make any sense, and there's a lot of support behind that idea, so I'm hoping that happens. Creating another weapon that does exactly what this one is intended to do would be silly, we just need to adjust what we have.

I can agree with the modification for the burston, but the Latron is not a substitute for a Marksman Rifle. The Latron is excellent as a combat rifle, a weapon that is good at medium ranges and while is semi-automatic has above average stopping power. A marksman rifle would not fire as fast as the latron, but it would certainly fire faster than the unmodded snipertron and deal slightly less damage, but it overall excels at rapid target aquisition and elimination from range, thus fulfilling an entirely different role than the Latron.

I can agree with the modification for the burston, but the Latron is not a substitute for a Marksman Rifle. The Latron is excellent as a combat rifle, a weapon that is good at medium ranges and while is semi-automatic has above average stopping power. A marksman rifle would not fire as fast as the latron, but it would certainly fire faster than the unmodded snipertron and deal slightly less damage, but it overall excels at rapid target aquisition and elimination from range, thus fulfilling an entirely different role than the Latron.

You're trying too much to bring real life military doctrine into a game about space ninjas. 

Rapid target acquisition is a skill learned by a player, not provided by a weapon, in shooters. The latron currently kills lighter enemies in one shot, while the snipetron can (I'm told, at higher levels) eliminate the heavy enemies in a single shot. Where does the in between come in? There are no medium units as far as I know (But there are super weak ones, such as grineer melee and corpus ospreys).

Edited by Argoms

You're trying too much to bring real life military doctrine into a game about space ninjas. 

Rapid target acquisition is a skill learned by a player, not provided by a weapon, in shooters. The latron currently kills lighter enemies in one shot, while the snipetron can (I'm told, at higher levels) eliminate the heavy enemies in a single shot. Where does the in between come in? There are no medium units as far as I know (But there are super weak ones, such as grineer melee and corpus ospreys).

I absolutely hate the term "Space Ninjas" for it puts almost any idea under srutinization just because it does not fit within a narrowminded genre of weapons and abilities. Warframe can be, and should be so much more than that. I'm not asking for extreme radical change, Im asking for things that go outside the box of what we are used to. I absolutely love warframe, its very well designed and the developers are great at listening to feedback, but I want more variety in the ways I kill enemies, and snipers are an all time favorite of mine to use, so whats so wrong about not going in like a ninja with sword and pistol drawn? I like to sit behind my allies and give fire support, just because thats my style, not the "Space Ninja" way of going about things.

I absolutely hate the term "Space Ninjas" for it puts almost any idea under srutinization just because it does not fit within a narrowminded genre of weapons and abilities. Warframe can be, and should be so much more than that. I'm not asking for extreme radical change, Im asking for things that go outside the box of what we are used to. I absolutely love warframe, its very well designed and the developers are great at listening to feedback, but I want more variety in the ways I kill enemies, and snipers are an all time favorite of mine to use, so whats so wrong about not going in like a ninja with sword and pistol drawn? I like to sit behind my allies and give fire support, just because thats my style, not the "Space Ninja" way of going about things.

"Space ninja" is a premise that requires you to accept that certain aspects of real life combat are not applicable. For example, a pistol that could function at "sniper" ranges would not be dismissed as unrealistic or stupid here. Or well, the whole idea that you can use melee against a squad of trained marines. Another quick example is that suppressive fire (from your side) is completely useless.

Tell me, exactly what are the differences between the latron and the proposed marksman rifle and what impact would they have on gameplay?

Edited by Argoms

"Space ninja" is a premise that requires you to accept that certain aspects of real life combat are not applicable. For example, a pistol that could function at "sniper" ranges would not be dismissed as unrealistic or stupid here. Or well, the whole idea that you can use melee against a squad of trained marines. Another quick example is that suppressive fire (from your side) is completely useless.

Tell me, exactly what are the differences between the latron and the proposed marksman rifle and what impact would they have on gameplay?

First I'm going to tell you how rude you are. I'm not the best player in warframe, and I wont pretend to be either, but I pull my weight and I do my fair share of kills and assists. How can you assume that the role I play is worthless? I use the snipertron and I get a good amount of kills with it, and paired with my bolto and ether swords Im very decent in a match, and usually place second or first if the map was large.

And where did I ask for realism? I wanted more weapons to experiment with and use, not a more realistic game. I want weapons outside of the genre you describe, for example, maybe instead of a sword or blunt weapon there could be a medeival polearm, or crossbow? I desire things that are just different and offer new options in terms of combat, but never did i say that Warframe should be more realistic.

Suppressive fire is intended to keep enemies behind cover. The role you play is actively seeking out enemies and killing them before they can become a nuisance to your team, correct? Then it's not what I was talking about. That was in no way intended to insult you, so sorry if you took that the wrong way.

Again, what are the gameplay differences between the latron and this marksman rifle proposed? Rapid target acquisition is not something that your weapon gives you unless you're at the sort of ranges where you can't even clearly see your target (which doesn't exist in most video games, so something more close-quarter based like warframe most likely will never have that sort of range) without magnification.

Suppressive fire is intended to keep enemies behind cover. The role you play is actively seeking out enemies and killing them before they can become a nuisance to your team, correct? Then it's not what I was talking about. That was in no way intended to insult you, so sorry if you took that the wrong way.

Again, what are the gameplay differences between the latron and this marksman rifle proposed? Rapid target acquisition is not something that your weapon gives you unless you're at the sort of ranges where you can't even clearly see your target (which doesn't exist in most video games, so something more close-quarter based like warframe most likely will never have that sort of range) without magnification.

The Latron is useful for medium ranges, it has a decent fire rate with high stopping power, but only if you are able to accurately shoot the critical spots on an opponent. At longer ranges, the Latron falters in this aspect, and so the aquisition of an enemy's weakpoint becomes effectively harder to do at longer ranges, especially against the grineer. I find myselft hitting around the head more that at the head of the enemy with the latron, but I can hit the crit areas fine with the snipertron. So I was hoping for a hybrid of the two weapons, and the result would effectively be a marksmen rifle. You could use the weapon with the confidence that you know that you can hit the crit areas of an enemy with careful precision, the Latron does not always garuntee this, so thats where I find it lacking. But I dont want the latron changed because I like to use that in likely to be cramped maps. So a marksmen rifle was just my method of a solution. And I myself would like to use that weapon rather than the magazine limited snipertron. 

The Latron is useful for medium ranges, it has a decent fire rate with high stopping power, but only if you are able to accurately shoot the critical spots on an opponent. At longer ranges, the Latron falters in this aspect, and so the aquisition of an enemy's weakpoint becomes effectively harder to do at longer ranges, especially against the grineer. I find myselft hitting around the head more that at the head of the enemy with the latron, but I can hit the crit areas fine with the snipertron. So I was hoping for a hybrid of the two weapons, and the result would effectively be a marksmen rifle. You could use the weapon with the confidence that you know that you can hit the crit areas of an enemy with careful precision, the Latron does not always garuntee this, so thats where I find it lacking. But I dont want the latron changed because I like to use that in likely to be cramped maps. So a marksmen rifle was just my method of a solution. And I myself would like to use that weapon rather than the magazine limited snipertron. 

As I said before, it's highly likely that zoom will be coming as a mod. Judging from what you're saying, that seems to be the only real difference between the two weapons, so I don't think it'd be necessary to create a whole new weapon just for that.

As I said before, it's highly likely that zoom will be coming as a mod. Judging from what you're saying, that seems to be the only real difference between the two weapons, so I don't think it'd be necessary to create a whole new weapon just for that.

I see your viewpoint, but I still stand adamantly by my judgement. Thank you anyways for your feedback.