The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Customizable Charge Attack For Melee

Panzermeido

As of right now, melee always provides the same result when the charge attack is being used - the weapon executes a special, powerful attack. The only exception is the Glaive - you use it as a projectile weapon, but I'll relate to that later.

How about making charge attacks behave the same way as skills do?

Thus, every melee weapon has a default, "mash" attack, and a special charge attack, one that doesn't necessary deal increased damage. I'll try to illustrate by example, because this is quite vague.

You buy a Skana. By default, it comes with a "Heavy Blow" Charge Card, which provides the charge attack we currently have. You make this charge attack better by leveling the "Heavy Blow" Card, increasing it's damage.
However, you can change this card to another one, let's call it "Crippling Blow". The Tenno executes a special animation, cutting the enemy's leg tendrils and forcing him into a prolonged stun. This opens the enemy for a quick execution via an easy to score headshot. If a teammate has the "Heavy Blow" Charge Card, he can instantly execute this enemy - thus, increasing squad synergy.

The "Throw" card on the Glaive could be a unique, unsellable card - one which you still can replace with another charge card if it feels more fun for you.

This opens a lot of possibility for customization. From "rush" attacks, to elemental AOE, to armour "shredding", and makes damage balance a little easier - damage mods increase the damage of normal attacks while leveling the Charge Card increases it's damage or effect.

What do you think?

Edited by Panzermeido

That the idea is really good, but should be part of a combination system more than a mod. I would love to do the Crippling Blow. for example. doing a charge attack when im chrouched, and a spining forward charge attack if I press jump before a normal attack is fully charged. Or a thrust attack if im charging and moving forward at same time.

So far I see..."dumb" the melee system of attack, need some kind of Oblivion/Dark Messiah mechanic to choose the attacks based on direction, or state. Exactly what why have with the slash attack and jumping attack, and finisher attacks, but with more variation.

Edited by Morgo

Impressive idea, but AFAIK Steve already mentioned something like weapon-specific mods, maybe this goes in the same direction as your idea

As far as I'm aware, Steve was more about how particular weapons had different needs in mods to keep them balanced, so weapon specific mods will be added to keep the balance more even.

For example, the Snipetron is really lacking in reload speed, whichever way you mod it, so it'll be handled by a snipetron-specific reload speed mod. I may be very, very wrong though.