Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggested Changes To Iron Skin

PaperAlien

No, I'm not suggesting this chan.ge because I'm jealous of Rhino players outscoring me (which they often don't anyway). Admit it, Iron Skin right now is a bit over-the-top. Flat-out immunity to everything causes several problems. First of all, it takes away the need to play thoughtfully. For the most part, Iron Skin is just used so you can rush into an entire mob of infested and then just melee away, rinse and repeat, which, surely, must get pretty boring and definitely strips away many elements of the game.

The second problem is it also takes emphasis away from the frame's inherent durability. Why bother with achieving a high health/shield/armour level when you can instead focus entirely on power efficiency/duration/max to simply stay in Iron Skin more often?

I propose that Iron Skin be changed so that it no longer gives complete invulnerability. It will retain all the other effects (stagger-resistance, poison immunity, etc), but the invincibility (and naturally the uninterruptable shield regen) will be replaced with flat damage resistance that stacks multiplicatively on the final armour DR. Possible levels include 30/30/40/50%, this value can be tweaked to achieve balance.

What we will have now is a skill that instead of completely replacing the frame's high shields/health/armour, complements it. Now you will actually want high health/shields/armour while in Iron Skin, and with the removal of complete invinciblity, you will have to at least try to take less damage when you charge into a mob of infested. With the stagger immunity and other resistances still in effect, you are still for the most part capable of facetanking stuff, but people who do it in the wrong situations (when there's too much stuff) don't get away with it.

Thoughts? Anything I overlooked in my balancing?

Edited by PaperAlien

Sure, just increase the duration or give us something more useful than rhino charge. And while we're at it, nerf Nyx and Banshee, and Mag's Crush is pretty OP as well. Oh, and screw Loki's Invis, too much like iron skin, who needs that crap, let's make Loki have to stand still while invis or something, same for Ash.

Now that I've probably got you riled up... As a Rhino player, I don't iron skin non-stop, I iron skin only when it's entirely unlikely I'll survive from an encounter or my shields break. I prefer to build up my standard tankiness and support the team through smart use of my stomp, only using iron skin when I need to save my own &#! from dying. Can it be abused? Sure. Is it? By plenty, sure, but does it impact anyone but the Rhino? No, not at all. I also play a Loki, and invis is useful for very much the same reason.

Of all the skills to want to change/nerf, there are plenty with far more negative impacts as far as team play and balance are concerned. In my opinion, we need more, higher leveled worlds, and certain frames need better skills, or issues with their skills worked out.

Edited by Kortanul

Sure, just increase the duration or give us something more useful than rhino charge. And while we're at it, nerf Nyx and Banshee, and Mag's Crush is pretty OP as well. Oh, and screw Loki's Invis, too much like iron skin, who needs that crap, let's make Loki have to stand still while invis or something, same for Ash.

Now that I've probably got you riled up... As a Rhino player, I don't iron skin non-stop, I iron skin only when it's entirely unlikely I'll survive from an encounter or my shields break. I prefer to build up my standard tankiness and support the team through smart use of my stomp, only using iron skin when I need to save my own &#! from dying. Can it be abused? Sure. Is it? By plenty, sure, but does it impact anyone but the Rhino? No, not at all. I also play a Loki, and invis is useful for very much the same reason.

Of all the skills to want to change/nerf, there are plenty with far more negative impacts as far as team play and balance are concerned. In my opinion, we need more, higher leveled worlds, and certain frames need better skills, or issues with their skills worked out.

Actually, I do agree that there are a lot of balance issues that need fixing. It's just that I chose to highlight Iron Skin because I have thought of a reasonable alternative already.

You've got a point there with the change affecting Iron Skin's application as an escape tool, although I'm not sure if it's meant to be an escape tool. Perhaps if the DR is increased to a certain level, it can still serve as a viable escape tool as long as you know when to pop it.

Also, I don't particularly recall Loki's invis giving stagger/poison resistance or allowing him to facetank.

Edited by PaperAlien

How is iron skin better than the damage immunity/rebound all damage powers that trinity & nyx get (or snowglobe)? Besides ancient disrupters have me running around with no energy all the time, those sneaky gits.

How is iron skin better than the damage immunity/rebound all damage powers that trinity & nyx get (or snowglobe)? Besides ancient disrupters have me running around with no energy all the time, those sneaky gits.

I never said it neccesarily was, although Nyx's Absorb is an ultimate, makes you immobile, has no aggro mechanism, and is on the same class that has Chaos, and is therefore not very overpowered. I don't understand Trinity well enough to suggest a change for her, although I do hear she is another balance issue. Snow Globe is uncomparable as it's also immobile, and is easily breached if an enemy walks into it, although it may also be a bit overpowered. Again, I have no idea how to change that without breaking the core mechanic of the ability.

Rhino is the tank warframe. When I run in and hit Iron Skin, I'm holding the enemy attention so my team can get around to good positions and pick off the enemy. Without iron skin, Rhino is just a slightly more tankish Excalibur.

I never asked to remove Iron Skin. With the revisions I've suggested, you probably can still hold the enemy attention. It's just that now you might have to consider before trying to tank too many enemies at once. With ~60% DR on ~1000/1000 health/shields, he will still be very hard to kill during Iron Skin.