Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's Talk About In-Game Acrobatics

Targan

Greetings to everyone.

Let's talk about in-game acrobatics. As you all know, there is no any advantage in using rolling, sprinting, wall-running and so on when the mobs shooting in you. And I think there is incorrect situation. Why? It's simple, Tenno- high qualified "ninjas" of future, they MUST have skills to dodge from shooting by using acrobatics. Mainstream of this game- rush, fast movement from point to point with shooting and hand-to-hand fighting. All of this is impossible without dodge skills. Acrobatics now- useless thing in a fight. I hope, that devs thinking about it, because without this dodge skills all the game will become a usual shooter from corner to corner without rush and so on... Mobs' shooting don't give a chance for another tactic...especially mobs 50-70+ lvl. Adding some little error to mobs' shooting and decreasing accuracy don't solve the problem. Warframe NEED in-game way to solve this problem- dodging by acrobatics.

Edited by Targan

Have you ever played BRINK?

I get a BRINK vibe when I'm doing all the slides and flips, especially while shooting. (Which also how my aims isn't too shabby when leaping and shooting) I'd love to see more BRINK-esque movements (They had much more parkour focused gameplay, like wall bouncing to reach higher places.)

We need more areas that promote running and gunning.
Wall run sections with logical fight set-up. Zip-line segments filled with targets. Long range elevator segments. Etc.

Have you ever played BRINK?

I get a BRINK vibe when I'm doing all the slides and flips, especially while shooting. (Which also how my aims isn't too shabby when leaping and shooting) I'd love to see more BRINK-esque movements (They had much more parkour focused gameplay, like wall bouncing to reach higher places.)

We need more areas that promote running and gunning.

Wall run sections with logical fight set-up. Zip-line segments filled with targets. Long range elevator segments. Etc.

I'm never played Brink, but all, what you wrote, also will be useless without dodging function. People always and everywhere doing only usefull and no more. Useless movements with heavy (relatively ) model for pianists ?=)) Are you kidding me?=)) I write about making this movements usefull for gameplay and peoples. Only then it will be necessary to learn all of it and use. It'll be beautiful and advisable. That's I'm talking about.

I'm never played Brink, but all, what you wrote, also will be useless without dodging function. People always and everywhere doing only usefull and no more. Useless movements with heavy (relatively ) model for pianists ?=)) Are you kidding me?=)) I write about making this movements usefull for gameplay and peoples. Only then it will be necessary to learn all of it and use. It'll be beautiful and advisable. That's I'm talking about.

Actually rolling, jumping, and roll jumping is really useful against laser guns. That's about it though.

Actually rolling, jumping, and roll jumping is really useful against laser guns. That's about it though.

It's usefull only because  of the low speed of plasma ( there is plasma, not lasers ). Usefull only on long distanses. Useless at the clinch distance. Corpus plasma-guns - weapon for close fighting 'cause of speed, fire rate and scatter. Against grineer's weapons all of acrobatics is useless on any distance. It's wrong...

Actually, despite some very minor irritations that I have with the acrobatics...

(https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/32165-suggestions-irritations/?p=408411

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/41850-wall-running-and-edge-grabbingto-their-maximum-ninja-potential/?p=408452

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/41518-jump-and-walkrun-unresponsive/?p=408310)

I really enjoy the ability to roll, dash, ninja kick, wall run, and slide around the environment AND I think rolling is vital to dodging enemy fire and escaping. There's been SO many times when just sprinting wasn't enough to avoid enemy fire (since they have a tendency to track your movements anyway). Rolling allowed me to get the extra distance I needed to grab some cover while avoiding damage on the way there. 

That said, I do agree that the level design could be improved to give players more of an incentive to wall run and climb into new areas. Now, I've probably been playing for less than a week and I've only see the levels in Mercury and Venus, but it doesn't seem like there's much practical application to wall running in general. The 'secret' areas they take you to are usually pretty bland, or lacking in loot and easter eggs. These hard to reach areas also don't provide much tactical advantage in combat situations, nor are they particularly helpful when trying to complete missions. I think if Digital Extremes wants to really make the Parkour system (in game acrobatics) shine, then they need to work on improving both it's current ease of implementation and also level design features and rewards. 

However, in terms of combat application, the maneuvers are EXTREMELY relevant and valuable. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yeeeah, exactly what i thought after first playthrought, all that stylish stunts, wallrunning like Prince of Persia doesnt give something to gameplay, except cool visuals. 

I think that enemies should loose their target, or that there is should be some QTE during such manuvers,then all these will have mean something to gameplay.

I think if Digital Extremes wants to really make the Parkour system (in game acrobatics) shine, then they need to work on improving both it's current ease of implementation and also level design features and rewards. 

However, in terms of combat application, the maneuvers are EXTREMELY relevant and valuable. 

The movement and combat movement are really (along with cool art direction) what sets Warframe apart from other games, period.  So do DE capitalize on this unique asset and do level design around it?  Nope. You spend 95% of the game running down a corridor.  I just can't figure it out.