The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Increase Energy Cost Of Iron Skin

ghoul1999

Actually, there are NO other abilities that can offer a team permanent invulnerability with zero downtime, zero failure rate, and absolute predictability.  Yes, you can spam insane amounts of damage on a single target.  With the setup above, a team of four Rhinos is COMPLETELY UNKILLABLE.  Forever.  No chance of error.  No window of opportunity.  No reliance on orb-drops.  Just flat immunity to everything.  The closest comparisons would be Trinty's Link and Nyx's Absorb - both of which cost more energy and have MUCH shorter durations, leaving you reliant on drops to keep them applied.

Let's show the math:

Iron Skin costs 50.  4x Energy Siphon supplies 2 EPS - 25 seconds to repay the cost.  Streamline reduces the cost to 39 - 19.5 seconds to repay the cost.  Iron Skin ranked up to max gives you 15 seconds.  Continuity gives you +4.5 seconds = 19.5 seconds, 20 if it rounds up.  So you're either gaining 1 or at flat rate, every cycle.

Link costs 75.  Streamline reduces it to 52.5 = 26-ish seconds to regain the energy.  Link caps at 8 seconds.  Continuity increases it to 10.4 seconds - 10 if the game rounds down.  Leaves a 16-second gap.

I could math-out Absorb, but fairly obvious it will have an even longer gap, as Continuity doesn't affect it and it costs more energy at base.

Now, this IS fixable - reduce the base time on Iron Skin by 1, increase the base energy cost by 1, or just make artifacts not stack.  But the point remains: right now Iron Skin is way too valuable for its cost.

OK, I follow that now, and agree... we need either to make it cost a bit more OR add cooldowns... either would work I think, but I would prefer the cost measure over cooldowns.
Edited by GrimmLiberty

Iron Skin is Rhino's signature skill, and its also the only skill that makes him viable.

Changing its cost could make or break him. Also, if he is unlucky with drops and don't have energy regen/flow/contiuity/streamline, he can only cast it 3 times with his really pathetic energy pool.

One change that I have been thinking about that could be possible, is instead of being a god-mode invulnerability on demand, it should give him a super high damage resistance + stagger/knockdown etc immunity. Like 95% damage resistance for the duration. Would make him less OP, while still keeping him tanky while using Iron Skin.

Iron Skin is Rhino's signature skill, and its also the only skill that makes him viable.

Changing its cost could make or break him. Also, if he is unlucky with drops and don't have energy regen/flow/contiuity/streamline, he can only cast it 3 times with his really pathetic energy pool.

One change that I have been thinking about that could be possible, is instead of being a god-mode invulnerability on demand, it should give him a super high damage resistance + stagger/knockdown etc immunity. Like 95% damage resistance for the duration. Would make him less OP, while still keeping him tanky while using Iron Skin.

Actually, I find that the only "bad" skill Rhino has is Radial Blast - Charge and Stomp both provide short invincibility periods.  Charge does solid damage - the trick is in the aiming.  You want to end up as close as possible to as many enemies as possible at the end of the charge, because that's where the damage is - the gore.  And Stomp is a Godsend for clearing a horde that's gotten inside on your allies - or just for the fun of making enemies float while you bash them silly.  Yeah, the damage is poor, but it's not about damage - it's about locking a large mob down for 9-12 seconds of float time and 2-3 more of "get back up" time, while your team reloads, recharges, and unleashes retribution.  Iron Skin can do similar - but you tend to spend more time in it picking folks back up :p