The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pressure Point And Balancing Melee Weapon

Hueminator

I've been reading forum and most agree that pressure point need a buff.  However, since all the Mod works based on percent.  The more pressure point  maximum percent increase would increase the gap between 2h and 1h weapon.  For example , Fragor with base damage of 50, with current pressure point of 42% it would have 71 damage (21 damage increase). On the other hand, 42% of let say Dual Heat Sword (30 base damage ) would result in 42.6 damage (12.6 increase).

I personally agree with pressure point giving too low percent increases, but the above can show that buffing pressure point also introduce a new balancing problem.

I made a spread sheet listing weapons and how it would turn out with max pressure point and max fury, and compare their "DPS", or "damage per second".  "Second" I define as "1/rate". I also categorize it into 2h and 1h.  2h includes the heavy weapons and staff, 1h includes everything else. Then I take their average DPS and compare between 2h and 1h.  What I found out was 2h yield higher average damage.

My sense of balance tell me that these weapon should have the close or same average DPS, so I start tweaking around with pressure point % and try to bring 1h average DPS closer to 2h.

Since most people wants pressure point to be 60-90% so I plug in 60% for 2h and 90% for 1h weapon, and their average DPS yield to be roughly equal, this could be a solution.

If Pressure point is 2 separate mod for 1h and 2h (like serration vs hornet strike), each with different %, it would solve this problem and with the suggested number I think it would also buff melee in general.

Sadly, this is not a perfect solution.  There are some problems that stand out to me with this addition of new mod 

1.) Revise the UI and re-categorize weapon into 1h and 2h

2.) Would be chaotic and probably buggy, since pressure point currently shared by 1h and 2h.

Heavy weapons should do more damage on average than lighter weapons.

Next we'll have someone complaining that Magazine Wrap is almost useless on a Latron/Snipetron.

Heavy weapons should also lower your movement speed, but they dont. :/