The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Never Look A Gift Horse In The Mouth.

That's one way of looking at it. Thanks alot for the new enemy and mods this weekend, DE. The event was quite fun.

But really, you're gifted a horse, only to be told that you cannot ride it for a couple of weeks, and even when you're given the horse, you have to pay up considerably and work even more to get a hold of it, then you gotto wait a couple days more for it to be ready to ride.

Then might as well not have gifted it until you're allowed to take possession of it.

DE needs to explain us their reasoning behind not releasing the Frost Prime Warframe, just the blueprint, while making us wait possibly 2-1/2 to 3 weeks before we're able to use this reward.

Yeah, this post is gonna get downvoted like hell and I'm gonna get alot of flames & hate, but I had to make this point.

DE needs to explain us their reasoning behind not releasing the Frost Prime Warframe, just the blueprint, while making us wait possibly 2-1/2 to 3 weeks before we're able to use this reward.

Steve said this was to get more people playing Update 8. Going to nip this in the bud now though: this is NOT NECESSARILY HYPE.

Two important parts of free-to-play: player retention, and conversion rate.

Player Retention is average-time-players-are-active. Conversion Rate is average-percentage-of-players-who-buy-things.

Player Retention will INCREASE with a highly limited ("I am one of very few you got in on the ONE AND ONLY chance to get the Frost Prime") lead up to a big patch (which appears to be similarly geared towards player retention). This is not hype, which would be "log in once to get your cool new toy, then go away again". This is "stick around, we have nice things for you".

To be clear in rebuttal of your point with some structured analysis of the facts at hand.

The event reward was structured, during the beta release leadup to a major content update they are aiming to release in the next 7 days (which was also part of the information DE_Steve provided in Council in your discussions; I was there too).

When the Glaive came out everyone screamed bloody murder that they didn't know the blueprint path that was being taken with it.  DE clearly listened in this regard and this is now clearly communicated for Prime Frost.

Similarly, they were taken to task over communication on what was coming, and how, in general.  The event outlined the Operation sub-system as well as stress tested it, demonstrated the achievable nature of it (and the very favourable 'post victory' conditions for acquiring the same rewards) and the Frost Prime BP was used as a teaser to show not only what a reward now would be but advance communicate the kinds of things coming in the Warlord Update 8.

People have also been complaining, at length, about not having goals or things to strive for in game.  While I think this is a lateral point it's fair to say that now they know something that is coming and they can decide if they want to capitalize on it or not as a goal to shoot for upon the next update.

To deal with an immediate recognition and reward, right now upon event success, completion awards an immediate 100k credits, no muss, no fuss.  Not to mention the drop rates for the missions themselves for Rubedo alone were rewarding in and of themselves.

I see no reason to flame you or down vote you Eeshan, but you have been twitchy on this subject from the moment you 'outed' it in general discussion when information in Council chat is viewed at least on some level as privileged and to be treated with a bit more respect than that. 

I suggest looking at this a bit broader than you have in your original post and see that there were a lot of very well reasoned, constructive choices in the way this was done in direct response to the community feedback to date.

To be clear in rebuttal of your point with some structured analysis of the facts at hand.

The event reward was structured, during the beta release leadup to a major content update they are aiming to release in the next 7 days (which was also part of the information DE_Steve provided in Council in your discussions; I was there too).

When the Glaive came out everyone screamed bloody murder that they didn't know the blueprint path that was being taken with it.  DE clearly listened in this regard and this is now clearly communicated for Prime Frost.

Similarly, they were taken to task over communication on what was coming, and how, in general.  The event outlined the Operation sub-system as well as stress tested it, demonstrated the achievable nature of it (and the very favourable 'post victory' conditions for acquiring the same rewards) and the Frost Prime BP was used as a teaser to show not only what a reward now would be but advance communicate the kinds of things coming in the Warlord Update 8.

People have also been complaining, at length, about not having goals or things to strive for in game.  While I think this is a lateral point it's fair to say that now they know something that is coming and they can decide if they want to capitalize on it or not as a goal to shoot for upon the next update.

To deal with an immediate recognition and reward, right now upon event success, completion awards an immediate 100k credits, no muss, no fuss.  Not to mention the drop rates for the missions themselves for Rubedo alone were rewarding in and of themselves.

I see no reason to flame you or down vote you Eeshan, but you have been twitchy on this subject from the moment you 'outed' it in general discussion when information in Council chat is viewed at least on some level as privileged and to be treated with a bit more respect than that. 

I suggest looking at this a bit broader than you have in your original post and see that there were a lot of very well reasoned, constructive choices in the way this was done in direct response to the community feedback to date.

This man speaks truth and poops gold.

Drusus Prime, make it happen DE.

Whats really the point of getting the frame instantly thats kinda lame. I have 80% of the content at lvl 30. The point of the game is finding the loot. Because otherwise honestly i'd be done with this game after 3-5 days since all i really need is 1 frame and my Boltor which objectively is one of the most powerful weapons. 

I have never understood that phrase "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". When I hear it I think of the Trojan horse. If they had been smart enough to look in its mouth then Troy would have stood. So shouldn't it be, "Always look a gift horse in the mouth to see if he is hiding a lot of soldiers with weapons inside of it".

crow-k, on 05 May 2013 - 9:14 PM, said:

I have never understood that phrase "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". When I hear it I think of the Trojan horse. If they had been smart enough to look in its mouth then Troy would have stood. So shouldn't it be, "Always look a gift horse in the mouth to see if he is hiding a lot of soldiers with weapons inside of it".

This was why we have the expression:

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Or, our more modern colloquialism:

Beware of (gamer) geeks bearing gifts.

:)

If it helps you any? The Trojan horse was so big they'd have had a hell of a time looking in the mouth in the first place. :)

Edit: wow, downvoted by one for a bad gamer joke?  Harsh room ;)

Edited by Drusus

Honestly I have always supported DE with their decisions. But this one about not letting us use the Frost Prime frame, or even farm the parts at the end of the event, I just don't like it. Yes I have been Twitchy about this subject, and I brought it up so that everyone knew beforehand that the reward they were all grinding their asses off during the weekend to achieve will not be available to them for another 2 weeks, in addition to more farming and 3 days build time. 

Hell, I would gladly have bought the Warframe off the market for platinum, and will gladly do so when new items are available. I just disagree with the 2-3 weeks wait time for the reward being usable.

OK, so I get why DE doesn't want this Frame to be useable immediately. But why did they not let us know at the beginning of the event ? They should simply have told us that the reward for this event would be an exclusive Blueprint that you won't be able to use for a couple of weeks, no ? But that wouldn't exactly have given us more incentive to finish the event, eh ?  

Honestly I have always supported DE with their decisions. But this one about not letting us use the Frost Prime frame, or even farm the parts at the end of the event, I just don't like it. Yes I have been Twitchy about this subject, and I brought it up so that everyone knew beforehand that the reward they were all grinding their asses off during the weekend to achieve will not be available to them for another 2 weeks, in addition to more farming and 3 days build time. 

Hell, I would gladly have bought the Warframe off the market for platinum, and will gladly do so when new items are available. I just disagree with the 2-3 weeks wait time for the reward being usable.

OK, so I get why DE doesn't want this Frame to be useable immediately. But why did they not let us know at the beginning of the event ? They should simply have told us that the reward for this event would be an exclusive Blueprint that you won't be able to use for a couple of weeks, no ? But that wouldn't exactly have given us more incentive to finish the event, eh ?  

I don't agree with this, but it's arguably a valid point and should possibly be kept in mind in the future to reduce backlash.

I don't agree with this, but it's arguably a valid point and should possibly be kept in mind in the future to reduce backlash.

I don't agree either though I do follow the reasoning.

I do think the premise that people would not have pursued the event is false.  And I see absolutely nothing wrong with the teaser approach to give us something to discover as part of the process of doing the event.  Seeing the frame image revealed bit by bit, for me, was a great nuance to help motivate every % we ticked off.

To each their own of course.  

I see the award being provided ahead of schedule as a production choke issue, nothing more, and as a step to address all the points listed earlier.

Sorry you don't feel the same way Eeshann but from my vantage point, there was a lot more to like and respect in this approach than take the exception with as you have done.

Having said that, you have presented that point of view pretty equitably.  I may not agree with it but I do at least understand why it frustrates you.

I do think the premise that people would not have pursued the event is false.  And I see absolutely nothing wrong with the teaser approach to give us something to discover as part of the process of doing the event.  Seeing the frame image revealed bit by bit, for me, was a great nuance to help motivate every % we ticked off.

I see the award being provided ahead of schedule as a production choke issue, nothing more, and as a step to address all the points listed earlier.

Sorry you don't feel the same way Eeshann but from my vantage point, there was a lot more to like and respect in this approach than take the exception with as you have done.

Having said that, you have presented that point of view pretty equitably.  I may not agree with it but I do at least understand why it frustrates you.

This is exactly how I feel.

I think this is something that very much could benefit from being addressed, regardless. Even if it was just saying "blueprint for this super special item we aren't telling you ANYTHING ELSE about" rather than "top secret reward" with no further information -- which is actually probably the very best way to do it.

Yes I have been Twitchy about this subject, and I brought it up so that everyone knew beforehand that the reward they were all grinding their asses off during the weekend to achieve will not be available to them for another 2 weeks, in addition to more farming and 3 days build time. 

I don't agree with what you did, let me just get that out of the way.

And the reward was intended to be a MYSTERY. We wouldn't have even really known what it was so early on in the event if someone hadn't ruined the fun and leaked a data-mined, clear image. You got a free, exclusive blueprint for a frame that's superior to its publicly available version. All you have to do is wait for the upcoming update and then get the pieces for it, hell they even gave you the credits to build the thing. God forbid you have any goals to work towards in this game...

"They should have just told us what the mystery reward was going to be right off the bat so I could decide if I actually cared enough to help complete the event."?? Someone's been spoiled by the ? alert notification systems.

You can tell a horse's age by his teeth. So to look at a horse's teeth after it was given to you is checking the value of the gift rather than just accepting it.

The modern day equivalent would be to unwrap a present, then immediately check online to see how much it's worth. It's insulting to the gift giver.

/end tangent

You can tell a horse's age by his teeth. So to look at a horse's teeth after it was given to you is checking the value of the gift rather than just accepting it.

The modern day equivalent would be to unwrap a present, then immediately check online to see how much it's worth. It's insulting to the gift giver.

/end tangent

Learn somethign new each day. And I even dealt with horses IRL and did not know thats where it came from.

Seriously, I am willing to bet that you couldn't have found anyone more hyped than I was on Saturday morning for this event. I am a HUGE DE and Warframe fanboy and would never think twice about paying a monthly subscription for this game, just like any other MMO.

I was playing all day on Saturday and on Sunday morning even though I've go the flu and am supposed to be sleeping, until DE_Steve announced it in council chat that the reward will not be useable for a week. That was a very unpleasant surprise for me and I felt that it was the right thing to do to immediately let everyone on the forums know what I just learnt. 

Honestly, as an avid fanboy of Warframe and loyal supporter of DE, I was quite disappointed. So I needed to make this point clear. Like you said, to each their own.

Edited by Eeshaan

Seriously, I am willing to bet that you couldn't have found anyone more hyped than I was on Saturday morning for this event. I am a HUGE DE and Warframe fanboy and would never think twice about paying a monthly subscription for this game, just like any other MMO.

I was playing all day on Saturday and on Sunday morning even though I've go the flu and am supposed to be sleeping, until DE_Steve announced it in council chat that the reward will not be useable for a week. That was a very unpleasant surprise for me and I felt that it was the right thing to do to immediately let everyone on the forums know what I just learnt. 

Honestly, as an avid fanboy of Warframe and loyal supporter of DE, I was quite disappointed. So I needed to make this point clear. Like you said, to each their own.

Comon a week? really..? you have no other gear to level in that time? Im just glad i guarentee get it eventually. I HATE RNG ? ALERTS. And this is just given to me and i can farm the Bp's which i will achieve in a mere 5-6 hours.

From my point of view, if they stick to the same resource costs for the schematics then it gives newer players a chance to research the parts requirements for making an entire frame.

On the other hand, they may be holding back on the schematics because they're introducing a new resource that will be required that'll only be available in the brand new content.