Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Combos

Laerei

While melee is my favorite aspect of Warframe, I still feel like it could be improved.

As for now, I feel the standard combos could use more variation.

Right now there just one standard combo you can do:

Quick Slash, Quick Slash, Quick Slash.

And the other standard move is Charge

While you are doing the QS combo, you can't go into charge. In my opinion it hurts the melee right now.

Charge hits hards but it's downside is that it leaves you open for a counter attack. It'd be nice to be able to charge just about any attack.

For example, you could do the same combo as QS only much slower and methodical.

Charge, Charge, Charge, each attack having a different animation.

And it further be improved with mixing things up a little, for example:

QS, QS, Charge

QS, Charge, QS

Charge, Charge, QS

etc.

Right now you need to stop your combo and wait for the animation to finish to start charging.

Of course it could make things easy in melee, too easy.

To counter that, enemies could be more adept at melee. For example, they can start blocking your quick attacks after your second attack but they can not block charge attacks. But to counter the barrage of charge attacks, they could have a quick strike of their own as they have now. I get riflebutted often enough while charging interrupting my attack and giving the opponent a chance at firing a few shot off at me. I'm happy with that because it forces me to change my attack pattern, keeping the combat from going stale.

Long story short, melee could use some improvements.

Edited by Laerei

Have you tried spin attacks? It kinda lengthens your combo a bit... you can even do the spin attack while jumping so it's kinda cool when you're against the ospreys.

Edited by Pull

I'm aware of spin attacks, but I don't exactly consider them as part of standard set as you have to be sliding to do it. Same with ground slam, you have to jump to do it. Or wallrun attack. Yes you can mix things up with them, but as I said, I'm talking about standard combos.

Melee really needs a smoother transition between normal attacks and the charged attack. There should also be more attack animations, about 4 more strikes and 2-3 different charged strike animations then I think  everyone would be fine with melee forever. Well, until we want different weapon types.

Also the parry/block should be like counter in Ninja Gaiden 2, where a successful counter lands a devastating hit.

Edited by dragonboss

Melee really needs a smoother transition between normal attacks and the charged attack. There should also be more attack animations, about 4 more strikes and 2-3 different charged strike animations then I think  everyone would be fine with melee forever. Well, until we want different weapon types.

Also the parry/block should be like counter in Ninja Gaiden 2, where a successful counter lands a devastating hit.

Ninja gaiden counter attack wasn't even that good. It was only good for stopping enemy combos from breaking guard when you know dodging isn't a better option

Ninja gaiden counter attack wasn't even that good. It was only good for stopping enemy combos from breaking guard when you know dodging isn't a better option

Off topic, but when you master the counter attack in NG2 it is highly useful on Warrior and Mentor difficulties, actually it is essential to survive, due to the brief invulnerability it provides.

Edited by dragonboss