WildJuice

I hate walls of text.

Alerts:

-limited item distribution to keep cash shop's item value

-items that are so-so are being used due to their rarity

-power-tied rewards

-sporadic

-RNG-based

What I think would steer this in the right direction would be to have alerts to drop mostly cosmetic items and in a lesser amount sidegrades (or downgrades). The issue with the Glaive is that it has new mechanics. Alerts are locking down F2P players solely on luck. It's blocking gameplay from players in a way. I myself have a glaive, but it just feels cheap. It's not essential, however you can clear the whole game with starter gear so it's not a very strong argument. DE could always release new weapons plat/alert only for a week, then next week the BP would be available for everyone else.

Missions:

- planets/ missions have no soul

-polarized towards defense missions

-no rewards for doing missions that are not capture, assassination, defense, raid or spy

There are far too many missions for what the game has to offer. I would advise to reduce the number of nodes and increase the frequency of alerts per node. Since the levels are randomized, there is no point having 2-3 defense missions with the same enemies. I like the fact that there is no structure whatsoever to what type of mission there is in a particular planet; keeps things fresh. The different tilesets featured in a planet also helps. To compensate for the mod given in capture/raid/spy, other mission modes except assassination should receive a credit boost.

Rewards:

-mods don’t scale with enemy level

-defense missions rewarding the same mods (hellfire, streamline, etc) at high waves

By playing many defense missions, you notice how it’s pointless to go past wave 5. Wave 10 to 50 rewards are the same with a huge bump in difficulty. It’s also disheartening to not even see a rare mod drop from level >80 enemies. The mod rarity should scale with enemies level, not how it is now, same goes with wave rewards. At wave 25 and on at Outer terminus, you expect to see mostly rare mods. What kept me playing in preU7 even when I was maxed out was the fact that you could obtain diverse and decent mods, now it’s hard to do both.

Now with the introduction of Banshee, it was much harder to come upon those BPs, maybe too hard for the common non-visitor of the holy forum. What I suggest is to streamline drops. For example, banshee should only be obtainable through wave defense, while another would only be obtainable by doing capture missions so one can farm the same thing over and over, like bosses. It would also show to other players you did that mode a lot, not just some random strolling all over the place.

Weapon balance:

-ping pong balance

-variable mod scaling

-multi-target > single target melee weapons

Weapons are a huge part of the game. Balancing isn’t so critical because it’s purely PvE at this stage. However, the design team have been throwing things back and forth, and I’m not sure if my weapons are remaining the same after purchase. The feel is the most important thing to salvage when a weapon is OP. The shotgun range nerf was a bit too much in my opinion. Shotguns should fire spreading pellets based on distance. Only accuracy would suffer at long range.

We all know rifle mods are not as good as others because of how the scale very well. I think that all class of weapons should benefit from the same statistical change from mods. Right now, shotguns and pistols really get a boost in power, while rifles get some decent but not spectacular upgrade. Some pistols can rival damage dealt by rifles due to that , even if they should be “secondary” weapons. To balance that, the base version of the gun should be modified or global mod values. I feel that farming should pay off evenly for all classes of weapons.

This is a game with 1v100 mentality, thus single target weapons won’t shine if they don’t have something special. So yeah… make them specialer…buff them across the board! For example, Dark Sword could deal 200-250 base damage charge.

Progression:

-useless rank system

- starting slots is not enough if you plan to play a long time

I am rank 9 and I don’t really feel like there’s anything past that point. What I proposed before was to grant players some slots for their “work”. I know DE talked about this so I’ll just cut this short.

Rank should grant you access to better weapons. I would like to see stronger weapons available, not outright stronger, but in a subtle way. Less jack-of-all trades, but more specialized weapons. I would also like to see some rank specific powers or warframe-wide abilities/passives.

What needs to be added:

Ways for player to obtain items more reliably (I want a deterministic game, not one driven by fate)

End game purpose!

PS. Writing everything from F2P perspective

You did a great job so far DE; I hope you keep it up for at least the next decade.

Edited by WildJuice

Pretty accurate to me, I have about 250 hours and I agree with pretty much everything here. High level enemies/places not dropping anything better than level 5 enemies is just silly, they could do so very much more with rank, and way too much of a character's progression is locked away behind random alerts and just as random mod drops.

The drop system really needs an overhaul, single target, slash (not charge) melee weapons, and the shotguns all need some help, and they really need to do something interesting with rank considering its pretty much the only overarching "level" that we have to determine how much someone has played.

A lot of good points. The fact this is still in, what seems to be, a fairly early beta makes me feel that eventually most of these things will be addressed. I know that they said they want to change Alerts,

Iinm, DE_Steve did mention he was not entirely happy with alerts as is but that's going to stay for now. Think of it as a 'placeholder' event thing. In a few months time, we can revisit this topic. I'm not entirely happy with current alerts either but I understand that better things are in store. We need to wait and see for now.

as well as Mastery Rank, so its just going to be a while. The scaling thing is probably the biggest annoyance with the game though, and I do not know if they have announced they have any plans, but I presume they do.

EDIT: quote is from the last post on this page, https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/40638-bp-alerts-should-be-scheduled-once-per-day-on-a-24-hr-timer/page-3

Edited by liavalenth

Missions:

-no rewards for doing missions that are not capture, assassination, defense, raid or spy

There are far too many missions for what the game has to offer. I would advise to reduce the number of nodes and increase the frequency of alerts per node. Since the levels are randomized, there is no point having 2-3 defense missions with the same enemies. I like the fact that there is no structure whatsoever to what type of mission there is in a particular planet; keeps things fresh. The different tilesets featured in a planet also helps. To compensate for the mod given in capture/raid/spy, other mission modes except assassination should receive a credit boost.

Systems are separated by the level range of enemies. The point of having 2-3 defense missions with the same enemies is that some start out easier than others. It's better to have options rather than have everything touch at the same consistent level. Multiple systems also allows for material farming in a bit more of a focuses manner. If I want a lot of Alloy Plate and Rubedo, I got to Sedna, which drops Alloy Plate, Rubedo and Salvage. If systems were reduced down, systems would potentially need larger pools of obtainable resources to compensate, meaning I would have less chance of getting my two needed materials with a larger pool of obtainable ones. As it is, the reduction of the number of systems would harm more than it would fix.

All of your other points, however, are pretty good. I too would like to see the game gravitate away from endless defense missions as a stopgap endgame and see something more befitting.

What I mean by that is for example you will see Xini, Ixodes, Granakus( or smoething) and Savarax( or something) on Eris and in the same fashion you see on Sedna a few similar defense missions. They have all the same enemy level range, only different maps. I'm suggesting to contract the number of nodes and have map cycling. It's not big, but I feel that we're getting a wasteland syndrome.

What I mean by that is for example you will see Xini, Ixodes, Granakus( or smoething) and Savarax( or something) on Eris and in the same fashion you see on Sedna a few similar defense missions. They have all the same enemy level range, only different maps. I'm suggesting to contract the number of nodes and have map cycling. It's not big, but I feel that we're getting a wasteland syndrome.

Ah, I see. Yes, you are right, several systems have overlapping level ranges. But it's not a bad thing to have all of those options. DE may, at some point, utilize those different systems in a different way. At the very least, they are there for the choosing until they are needed.

I hate walls of text.

Alerts:

-limited item distribution to keep cash shop's item value

-items that are so-so are being used due to their rarity

-power-tied rewards

-sporadic

-RNG-based

What I think would steer this in the right direction would be to have alerts to drop mostly cosmetic items and in a lesser amount sidegrades (or downgrades). The issue with the Glaive is that it has new mechanics. Alerts are locking down F2P players solely on luck. It's blocking gameplay from players in a way. I myself have a glaive, but it just feels cheap. It's not essential, however you can clear the whole game with starter gear so it's not a very strong argument. DE could always release new weapons plat/alert only for a week, then next week the BP would be available for everyone else.

Missions:

Rewards:

-mods don’t scale with enemy level

-defense missions rewarding the same mods (hellfire, streamline, etc) at high waves

By playing many defense missions, you notice how it’s pointless to go past wave 5. Wave 10 to 50 rewards are the same with a huge bump in difficulty. It’s also disheartening to not even see a rare mod drop from level >80 enemies. The mod rarity should scale with enemies level, not how it is now, same goes with wave rewards. At wave 25 and on at Outer terminus, you expect to see mostly rare mods. What kept me playing in preU7 even when I was maxed out was the fact that you could obtain diverse and decent mods, now it’s hard to do both.

Now with the introduction of Banshee, it was much harder to come upon those BPs, maybe too hard for the common non-visitor of the holy forum. What I suggest is to streamline drops. For example, banshee should only be obtainable through wave defense, while another would only be obtainable by doing capture missions so one can farm the same thing over and over, like bosses. It would also show to other players you did that mode a lot, not just some random strolling all over the place.

Progression:

-useless rank system

- starting slots is not enough if you plan to play a long time

I am rank 9 and I don’t really feel like there’s anything past that point. What I proposed before was to grant players some slots for their “work”. I know DE talked about this so I’ll just cut this short.

Rank should grant you access to better weapons. I would like to see stronger weapons available, not outright stronger, but in a subtle way. Less jack-of-all trades, but more specialized weapons. I would also like to see some rank specific powers or warframe-wide abilities/passives.

What needs to be added:

Ways for player to obtain items more reliably (I want a deterministic game, not one driven by fate)

End game purpose!

PS. Writing everything from F2P perspective

You did a great job so far DE; I hope you keep it up for at least the next decade.

I agree more or less but from a noob to the game (70-80hrs) I often ask myself why am I still playing, I'm not entirely sure its getting reliable items or getting items that have value. Just as you stated in the progression piece its a thankless effort. If gaining more levels gave me more than the mastery rank I could see a purpose in that.

Alerts seem to be this game's version of a raid and that's the problem. There isn't anything "special" about missions or alerts they are the same thing with more creds. The implementation of the Alert system is awesome, a kind of Tenno global warning system....but then why only 4 of us...in a normal mission setting?! This is what spawned my ideas around an open world/ space fight with either a fleet of ships or BFM. In either case something should be done to make alerts more unique.

These are great ideas and a great analysis of the game's functionality.

Alerts seem to be this game's version of a raid and that's the problem. There isn't anything "special" about missions or alerts they are the same thing with more creds. The implementation of the Alert system is awesome, a kind of Tenno global warning system....but then why only 4 of us...in a normal mission setting?! This is what spawned my ideas around an open world/ space fight with either a fleet of ships or BFM. In either case something should be done to make alerts more unique.

Yeahh! It would be nice that alerts could allow like > 4 players and  have 3 bosses in assassinations, minigames, spy mission with parkour only alerts akin to rank up 8/9 challenge. Alerts are the same thing as usual except with more rewards... doesn't feel like you've done anything except being lucky, and right now endgame is just that beign lucky with alerts for potatoes. You can't even try to farm for rare mods, because level 20s have the same abysmal chance of dropping rares than level 100's.

-useless rank system

I have a big beef with this. Once you reach rank 4 there is no reason to continue ranking up. The whole system is really arbitrary. If ranks gave you small passive bonuses like incresed health or drop rates that would solve my issue with starting to level up unranked gear. I hate that I have to go back and play boring low-level missions just because my new Frame is too weak to handle higher levels, despite being a much better player than when I started. The friends that I play with hate it too because I can't farm with them due to my low level gear when I do this.