Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mutators! A Fun And Challenging New Adventure

Doommarine654

!!!Disclaimer!!! (this is ment to be fun and noticed by the dev team. i welcome all feedback and ideas!!! please refrain from trashing others or the ideas they have! please and thank you!!! i look forward to your ideas!)

as the title says i wish to talk about adding in a system much like that of UT *unreal tournament* and a version of Halos skulls *no hold your horses and hear me out before this explodes*

i was thinking this game is pretty easy there is a moderate learning curve to the game but after you have go your grip on the handle bars the ride is a breeze from there.

for people seeking a challenge or to have fun some play private with friends, or do defensive missions to see how far they can push them selves...others try solo play to see how well their frame truly is.

after hearing that there will be a difficulty setting probly being introduced into warframe i got tot thinking that maybe we can add ANOTHER layer to that awesome idea and put in some game changing modifiers.

these can be for fun or they can be for a challenge and if you do it for a challenge a nice reward is in it for you should you be able to complete the mission with the mutator you chose.

Challenge mutators;

Edit: There will be a sub selection when you click on a mission if you want to join a mission that has mutators or not. if you do a menu will show up showing games you can join and what mutators are on the mission when you hover over the game in the list.

These can range from many things and could be as such:

Double monsters health/shields
limited ammo * 2-3 clips worth of ammo*
no ammo pickup
no health pickup
no energy pickup *but start with max energy*
enemies do double damage
enemies will have random elemental damage
more elite enemies
increased armor *light goes to heavy and heavy goes to walking tank*

Suggestions from players;

Luzoto;

-Modless
-Melee only
-Ten times the number of enemies (call this mutator Stealth Mode, where either you keep quiet or get overrun by truckloads of enemies)
-Shieldless Cryopods
-Player starts with one health and no health pickups (slightly increased shield max and regen for this mutator)
-Player starts shieldless and unable to regain shields
-No abilities allowed
-Heavy units only (better rush through these or risk getting pummeled in seconds)
-Secondary weapons only (no blades either)
-Enemies still spawn into large rooms on lockdown, regardless of whether players are in a room or not.
-Must break open doors instead of letting them slide open for you.
-Stalker pursues whole team one by one for the entire mission, returns after a minute of death, no respawns for players.
-All factions in one mission

Insanityman;

attack of the ??? *when loading a mission all monsters will be of one type of the faction in the mission I.E can all be grineer Lancer and so on. corpus you ask? sure you can have ALL shockwave mao!!!! why not =P*

No waypoints - the tenno has lost all communication with lotus, last transmission received from lotus is the mission objective. it is up to you to find where the objective is. good luck tenno.

and many more with peoples help

Fun mutators;

These are just that fun you dont get any rewards for completing the mission just to have a wonderful time doing stupid silly stuff.

i also know that some of the ideas i am putting up are part of the artifact collection that you can select. they are just to change gameplay without affecting the game as a whole.

Insta-gib *i know not typically what people would like but most of the time just watching someone get obliterated into a mist is Entertaining.*
Infinite ammo
increased shield regen and health regen.
ego boost *more kills you get the bigger your head gets*
headshot! *think of it as the grunt birthday party but on steroids.*
silly weapons *much like what happened in dead space 2 with the foam finger.*

and more with peoples help!

Suggestions from players:

Luzoto:

Zero grav ragdolls
infested creep on walls wearing party hats
googly eyes on players *with reaction time as such other wise it wouldnt have the same effect i think*
or eye patches/black marker mustaches/monocles and other goofy things
grineer painted rainbow colors or all pink turn the batons into rubber chickens

Insanityman:

MOHAR ROLLAHS!! simply just that...more rollers of all kinds! and ospreys!

Edited by Doommarine654

Personally I don't like the joke mutators, but the Challenge skulls thing should cater well to the "Game is too easy!!!!11!!!" crowd.

Just need to figure out a way for it to be opt-only, don't want to enter a random while using a caster 'frame and find out that energy orbs are turned off!

yeah i was thinking more of player controlled challenge. i know there is the environmental challenges they put into the game which is awesome and should be expanded upon.

But like i said this is more of a player set challenge where you choose where you want to start on the ladder and work you way up maybe you can make it through a whole mission with no drops at all  and only the ammo you walked in with. thats about 3 or 4 mutators right there that would give a pretty heft reward if completed.

Just make it Artifacts

50% shield capacity, mod drop rate +10%

-30% ammo, +20% resource drop

+100% enemy HP and damage, 2x XP

I'll call them Challenge Artifacts.

Edited by Mietz

Yeah its why i didnt want it in the form of artifacts because that takes the control out of the players hands and messes with the rest of the team. and besides i had thought that with artifacts that add small percentages to things that when you have like the low ammo mutator having a scavenger artifact for atleast one type of weapon would tip the odds in your favor just by a small margin but not completely kill the challenge behind it.

this opens up all sorts of potential awesome. for normal play, im not 100% for the grunt birthday party type mods (but for holidays and the like, leave em in for a week, and make em optional).

the more elite enemies one would be great, that changes the game in a fairly meaningful way without simply upping their level. a generic +shields/hp/damage one is boring.

how about a random tactics change mutator? catch is, you cant tell the players what they're getting. one round replaces all the lancers with flameblades and shield guys (melee heavy), other times it will make them run away from melee at all costs.  all ballistas or sniper crewmen.

enemies with random damage types could work, so long as they get some of the extra effect from it, and not just damage.

joke time.

for the masochists we have EXTRA ROLLERS! (and a new corpus unit to apply this to: divebomb ospreys!) the infected variant could be poison clouds on all the things!

If there's going to be fun mutators, then I think that only cosmetic ones would really work out as most random cells would immediately kick a dude trying to rid them of their rewards.  Zero gravity on ragdolls, for instance, or all those little critters on the walls and ceilings of infested maps wearing party hats or something.  Maybe slap googly eyes on all the players or eye patches or markered-on faces with mustaches and monocles and such, and paint all the grinner rainbow or pink and turn those electric batons into rubber chickens.

As for the actual challenge, you could probably come up with a lot of creative stuff for that.  Considering in most public games you're doing them for resources and experience and stuff, it would be cool to set modifiers on a private match/solo for taking on challenges, like

-Modless

-Melee only

-Ten times the number of enemies (call this mutator Stealth Mode, where either you keep quiet or get overrun by truckloads of enemies)

-Shieldless Cryopods

-Player starts with one health and no health pickups (slightly increased shield max and regen for this mutator)

-Player starts shieldless and unable to regain shields

-No abilities allowed

-Heavy units only (better rush through these or risk getting pummeled in seconds)

-Secondary weapons only (no blades either)

-Enemies still spawn into large rooms on lockdown, regardless of whether players are in a room or not.

-Must break open doors instead of letting them slide open for you.

-Stalker pursues whole team one by one for the entire mission, returns after a minute of death, no respawns for players.

-All factions in one mission

Edited by Luzoto

Area is Covered with Ice

Area has two unique bosses

Enemies have energy shields

No reserve ammo

+100% ammo drops

+100% Alloy Plate drops

Area has no resource drops

Huehuehue

Arpg Map style

Joking aside, I could see this happening with by having a system to "explore" more systems outside of our solar system. Which would be end-game~ish?

ooh, Luzoto has a few fun ones. I really like the having to break down the doors to progress one. The constant stalker chase is brilliant too.  Got me thinking again, how about a no waypoints options - explore only.  

Reminds me of a new mission type suggestion post a while ago, someone mentioned a survival mission where the tenno dropship gets shot down or forced onto a planet.  Have to recover an artifact, and then rebuild a distress beacon and defend it. No waypoints, just run towards the nearest base, and see if you can steal the needed stuff to put a beacon together. Let me see if i can find that.