Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mod Diversification Idea

kaizoku222

I'll be forward with you DE, I honestly don't like the mod system as it is. Think it is way too resource intensive, some mods are vastly more effective than others, and the mods that are effective are nearly interchangable on all weapons. Instead of suggesting a huge overhaul that would take a ton of work, I've decided to suggest something that can work within the current mod system. Faction specific mods.

These unique mods would all share a property specific to their faction, and while about as rare as "rare" mods are now, they would proved builds and options the current vanilla mods do not. Here are my proposals for the factions:

Infested mods: These mods will have two stats on them, though neither will be as potent as a vanilla mod of the same level (like dual mods used to be). Also, infested mods cannot use polarity slots to reduce their cost (putting an infested mod in a polarity slot doesn't increase or reduce cost), but for every infested mod you have the cost of all infested mods you have is reduced by 1 point (for a max possible of -40% to mod costs if you're using nothing but infested mods). You still cannot use duplicate mod types with infested mods. These mods would encourage jack of all trades builds and using infested mods together.

Corpus mods: These mods would be more point efficient than others while taking a hit to the max number of times they can be upgraded (for example, split chamber maxes at 15 points for 90% multi-shot, a corpus split chamber would max at 75% multi-shot, but only cost 13 points). They also have heightened efficiency with polarity slots, reducing the cost of a mod by 75% instead of 50% (meaning that same corpus multi-shot would only cost 4 slots). Corpus mods aren't as powerful as other mods, but they are more point efficient and really shine with good use of polarity slots, making corpus mods very slot efficient.

Grineer mods: These mods would be able to use duplicate stats with serious caveats. If a duplicate stat is used, both its potency and its point cost is reduced by 50%. Using serration as an example, maxed is 150% damage for 14 points, so if you put a maxed Grineer serration with another maxed Grineer serration you would get up to 225% damage for 21 mod slot points without using polarity slots. Grineer mods are not very resource or slot efficient, but they allow you to go 50% above the cap for any stat for that cost.

These special mod types would not solve crit mods not being useful compared to other damage types, or charge melee being the best option, nor would it make support mods like loot radar or max ammo more widely applicable, but it would give people something new to seek out and farm, and it would give people more build options than they have now while adding some flavor to the game.

+1. This would be cool, especially Grineer mods. Since focused damage is best (AP for Grineer, Electric for Corpus, Fire for Infested) an extra 50% boost would be better than extra elemental damage. Plus, you could get 180% multishot.

I was also thinking that each elemental should be differentiated more, but didn't want to clutter the topic. I like how each element has an "effect" right now aside from AP, but there's no reason to specialize in one element, instead you slap them all on a weapon. Fixing that would take a big overhaul though, as making just having one element better than having 3-4 would take serious changes to how we get DPS on our weapons.